Dogfood Screwup Comes Home

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX":16hq1so2 said:
The whole deal is getting a lot of news up here. Here's a few points I picked out.

- the pet food industry is largely unregulated
- some ingredients include - euthanised pets from vet offices!, "ash" from rendering plants( dried ground bones ), all sorts of animal waste parts fom slaughter
- so all the chemicals and drugs from the dead animals are still in these animals when processed as pet food.
- if you have close contact ( or your children ) with your pets, then what they eat can effect your health
- if you are going to prepare your own food check with a vet. Dogs are omnivores while cats are straight carnivores, they need different things in their food.
- ask your vet what pet foods are safe - vets have been blowing the whistle that cancer type diseases etc.. in pets have been going through the roof the last 20 years.

Several class action suits have already filed up here.

AnguslimoX- here is an article I found yesterday-- might be quite a marketing idea.....One of the problems down here is the continuing battle between USDA and FDA over who has jurisdiction...While USDA normally oversees human meat products- somehow in their questionable wisdom Congress gave FDA control over most animal feed- which resulted in power struggles and many times neither doing anything for oversight :roll: ......
-----------------

Pet food recall spurs demand for more organic

3/30/2007 9:53:31 AM
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Debra Tarter's two-year-old boxer, Patchez, is just like a member of the family. That's why the national recall of the dog food Patchez had been eating for two years prompted Tarter to switch to brands that cost twice as much, but contain organic and natural ingredients.

"My children are grown, and Patchez is our baby," said Tarter, 55, of Cincinnati. "We would pay anything to keep her safe."

And pay she does. Tarter, who has taken Patchez for tests to make sure her kidneys weren't damaged by the recalled food, had been paying 84 cents a can for the recalled pet food she mixed with a dry food costing about $20 per 16-pound bag. Now she pays $1.69 a can and $40 a bag for a brand with more-natural ingredients.

Concerned pet owners such as Tarter are helping to increase already booming sales of organic and natural pet food, according to industry officials and store owners. An executive at Wild Oats Markets Inc., the specialty food chain that caters to health-minded consumers, says that it's still a little early to measure the recall's impact on the natural and organic food segment for pets that's been growing at 15 to 25 percent a year.

"People are extending their food ethic to their whole family, including the pets," said Rickard Werner, director of dry grocery for Wild Oats, based in Boulder, Colo.

Daryl Meyerrenke, owner of Anderson Township Family Pet Center in suburban Cincinnati, will be stocking an extra brand of organic pet food this week, spurred by increased customer demand for organic and natural products since the recall.

"The demand for healthier pet food has been skyrocketing over the past few years, but since this recall, I've had a lot more people coming in asking for organic products," said Meyerrenke. "Sometimes it's not even organic they want -- just a higher quality food with more natural ingredients."

Before the recall, Meyerrenke had carried only one brand of organic dog food costing about $15 for a 5-pound bag. He has added a second organic brand.

Grocery stores charge as low as around $2 for a 5-pound bag of non-organic brands.

But Meyerrenke stocks more than 30 dog-food brands, many of which include ingredients such as carrots, rice, broccoli and even cottage cheese and often are geared specifically for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.

As far as taste goes, Meyerrenke said, "dogs don't turn their noses up at much. They'll usually eat what's there. It's the owners that sometimes decide what they think looks tastier or more appealing."

Menu Foods Inc., which makes pet food for most of North America's top retailers, last week recalled 95 brands of products believed to be responsible for the deaths of cats and dogs around the country. A veterinarians information service said Tuesday that it had reports of 104 animal deaths. The maker of the recalled pet food has confirmed the deaths of only 16 pets.

Scientists identified the rodent poison aminopterin as the likely cause. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focused on the ingredient wheat gluten, that they maker said was purchased in China. Scientists have not offered any theories on how aminopterin got into the products.

Shelley Gunton, co-owner of Clackamas, Ore.-based Castor & Pollux Pet Works, reported an uptick in orders from stores. She also reported that she has received 10 times the number of usual hits to the pet product company's Web site.

"This is going to reinforce to pet parents that there are choices," said Gunton, whose company makes organic and natural pet foods.

Proponents of natural and organic pet foods and treats say those products can help prevent disease in dogs and cats. Some products avoid chemical preservatives, fats, fillers, salt and sugar. Others are free of ingredients exposed to pesticides, herbicides or insecticides that also may harm pets.

Dog and cat food sales in the United States reached over $14.3 billion in 2005, according to the Pet Food Institute that represents manufacturers of commercial pet food. Surveys by the Organic Trade Association indicated sales of organic pet food increased from $14 million in 2003 to $30 million for 2005.

The fast growth of the organic pet food industry and disagreement about what qualifies as organic food led to the creation of an Organic Pet Food Task Force. The task force has proposed labeling standards that organic manufacturers would have to meet in addition to existing requirements that apply to all pet foods. A committee of the USDA's National Organic Standards Board is reviewing the standards that could go into effect by 2008.

"Hopefully, it will clear up a lot of confusion and let consumers know more what they are getting when they buy pet food," said task force member Rochelle Lavens, president of Heidi's Homemade Inc., an organic dog and cat bakery in Columbus.

Meyerrenke, who has been in the pet store business for 34 years, said pet owners have become much more selective.

"People have increasingly elevated pets to family member status," Meyerrenke said. "And that means doing what you can to keep them healthy."

I feed my dog Nutro Ultra Weight Management. She gets lots of exercise but gains weight looking at food and has to stay somewhat thin because of elbow problems. Anyhow, the stuff is expensive. I feed her it because I was led to believe that it is healthier for her. If I were buying the no name brand food I would not be surprised by something like this but when I am paying a high price I think it should be high quality and regulated a little better. Maybe I am just naieve.

Victoria":zbhkzn49 said:
I feed my dog Nutro Ultra Weight Management. She gets lots of exercise but gains weight looking at food and has to stay somewhat thin because of elbow problems. Anyhow, the stuff is expensive. I feed her it because I was led to believe that it is healthier for her. If I were buying the no name brand food I would not be surprised by something like this but when I am paying a high price I think it should be high quality and regulated a little better. Maybe I am just naieve.

Victoria

The problem is that most folks think the food they are buying is produced by the same company that does the marketing and selling.

Maybe I am just naieve

Yes and no - you are simply ignorant of the facts - no different from the vast majority.

In fact many companies - including people food companies - have no production lines. They contract that out to a company that will follow their recipie. What that means is you call for meat, wheat and corn - they will get it.

But where does it come from? The cheapest supplier of course.

The producer / packager / contract company is out to maximize profit. Nothing more and nothing less.

It is this type of attitude and problem that has brought so many people to our door for beef and garden supplies and chicken that we really cannot keep up.

We need to decide whether to go big or stay home. Having been big and nearly going under we are taking our time on this.

An example - take a Canadian brand of honey - I will not mention the name - but it is very well known. This honey is purchased off shore - cheapest supplier. It is packaged in Canada and therefore becomes a "product of Canada".

This is extremely common with many packaged foods labelled "product of Canada".

If I am not mistaken, the actual honey comes from China or Indonesia - when we discovered this we took it off our list for the house. Now we buy up the road at the local apiary - a bit more money - but we know him / her and where the honey comes from.

There are many cheap off shore suppliers that provide bulk foods to north america - it is packaged in Canada - perhaps the U.S. as well - I am unclear on their system - and it now becomes a product of Canada.

CFIA allows this - so if you want truly safe food grown by Canadian suppliers you have to know the rules and the actual place the engredients for the product come from. As the law stands today the final supplier does not have to tell you.

Remember this - foreign supplers use chemicals that are considered too dangerous to use in this country. They use it on food that is shipped here and then we eat it.

In fact if you read the labels on many frozen fruits and vegetables it will say Product of Canada - when you delve a little deeper you will find the food comes from Mexico, Peru and so on - but is packaged in Canada.

Makes me sound like a radical and yet I am simply an old, grey haired fat guy that raises a few cows. I will never sit on a board of directors, or a political advisory board because I am not rich and I am not educated and I am not "connected" - therefore I am stupid and unworthy.

But, I am up on what happens around the world of agriculture.

I guess to a certain extent I am supporting OT and his COOL concept - but then again I have never truly been against it.

Bez>

Oldtimer":1kf0lrbx said:
AnguslimoX- here is an article I found yesterday-- might be quite a marketing idea.....One of the problems down here is the continuing battle between USDA and FDA over who has jurisdiction...While USDA normally oversees human meat products- somehow in their questionable wisdom Congress gave FDA control over most animal feed- which resulted in power struggles and many times neither doing anything for oversight :roll: ......
-----------------

May be even worse here OT, I don't think CFIA even has authority to inspect pet food facilities.

Thanks for the article, gonna try and get the "omnipotent one" ( wife ) to consider using our own beef, maybe using Bez's suggestion. Up until this episode I wouldn't have considered suggesting it.

We used to do up "liver treats", cubed the liver and put a garlic coating on it. Dogs loved it, gave new meaning to dog breath. But as the dogs got older vet said it may not be good for them. Gonna re-visit that with the vet.

AngusLimoX":3hlvqt76 said:
The whole deal is getting a lot of news up here. Here's a few points I picked out.

- some ingredients include - euthanised pets from vet offices!, "ash" from rendering plants( dried ground bones ), all sorts of animal waste parts fom slaughter
- so all the chemicals and drugs from the dead animals are still in these animals when processed as pet food.
- if you have close contact ( or your children ) with your pets, then what they eat can effect your health
- if you are going to prepare your own food check with a vet. Dogs are omnivores while cats are straight carnivores, they need different things in their food.
- ask your vet what pet foods are safe - vets have been blowing the whistle that cancer type diseases etc.. in pets have been going through the roof the last 20 years.

Don't know how it is in Canada, but the pet food industry is pretty closely regulated in U.S. by FDA.....not to a perfect extent, but more so than not.
Also, "ash" does not necessarily mean ground bones, in fact probably not. A listing of "ash" content on the tag refers to the amount that will not burn in a lab test....i.e., indigestible. Almost all feed ingredients have some % ash. It's a measure of digestibility.. I've never heard of euthanized pets going to rendering plants. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't heard of it and don't believe it's a common practice.

Bez
I guess to a certain extent I am supporting OT and his COOL concept - but then again I have never truly been against it.

Bez>

Bez-I think we agree...I am a strong proponent of M-COOL- but I could care less if it sells an extra lb. of US beef or not- as long as it tells the truth to the consumer- and they have an informed choice...These multinational food and meat corporations are using the loopholes in our labeling laws to profit from deceiving and flat out fraud....And this is especially true in meat and produce...

Even the long johns I'm wearing on this cool morning tell me how much cotton, wool, rayon, etc in them, the country each product came from, and the country they were made in-- but our governments back these multinational mafias in deceiving us on our food products as a way of keeping a cheap food supply :roll:

Years ago this was not important- as it was too difficult and costly to bring food products from all over the world- but it is different today-- and many of these countries (just like China here) who use almost slave labor to keep costs down--don't have the same feed, chemical, enviromental, and inspection restrictions that the US and Canada do...And have no recourse against them- what are we going to do to a Chinese Communist company to punish or get restitution out of :???: :mad:

Lots of folks around here right now asking why in the heartland of the high protein wheat area (US and Canada) this dogfood company was using imported wheat- especially since the dogfood plant is in Kansas- that is known for its wheat...

And a lot of folks also asking how much of this imported wheat type product is going into their breads, flours and grain products without them knowing it..... :???:

One of the reasons I buy local produced bread products, anymore- I have to pay a little more, but I know and trust these boys- and get to see this wheat grown from seeding to harvest:
http://www.grainsofmontana.com/

Does not the FDA, or the importer, or Customs or someone have a list of who all this imported product went to :???: Do they just have to wait until more dogs and cats die and get reported before they know they used this stuff? What happened to the Billions $ of Homeland Security money we poured in to keep track of our borders and our imports :???: ( I already know- most of it was smoke screen and went to local Pork Projects) :mad:
FDA still refuses to name the company this imported China wheat came from or who imported it.... :mad: :mad:
And I have still seen no where that they can ascertain this wheat gluten didn't end up in human foods :shock:

Wife just told me to throw all the Purina-Alpo sacks we have in the back shed (maybe it'll poison the mice if its tainted- mouse poison ain't working ;-) ) and headed to town to get some sacks of Vigortone dog food....
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Many More Pet Deaths Could Come, According to the FDA

March 31, 2007 — The pet food recall linked to the deaths of cats and dogs across the country is growing and now includes both wet and dry pet food.

This morning, the Food and Drug Administration announced that the Nestle Purina PetCare Company was voluntary recalling of all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog foods.

And after initially suspecting rat poison was the cause of the contamination, officials now believe the food was tainted by a chemical used in plastics and fertilizer. For the first time, the FDA has admitted to ABC News that there will be a lot more deaths than the current official count of 15 cats and dogs.

Government scientists found melamine, a compound used to make plastics for kitchen utensils, in the recalled food. Melamine's also used as a fertilizer in Asia, and was in wheat gluten imported from China and used in pet food.

But FDA officials caution that melamine might not be the culprit they're after.

"We are not fully yet certain that melamine is the causative agent of illness and death in pets," said Dr. Stephen Sundolf of the FDA Veterinary Center.

Another recall was issued this morning. Hills Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling some of its dry cat food that was made with the same tainted ingredient. Since March 17, more than 60 million cans and pouches of wet pet food have been recalled.

There's no absolute number of how many dogs and cats have been affected, which is making some reevaluate how pet illnesses are
reported.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story? ... 700&page=1

This is just great! :mad:
I would give my dog a large can of Alpo just to give him gas while he sleeps behind my husbands chair :lol:

OT if you look at all meat labels besides beef and pork you will read the Country of Origin. I have found it on New Zealand lamb to Alaskan salmon. People don't really look at the label they look at the price.

It is really scary.

All because they wanted to save money...

The rat poison that was on the wheat gluten is LEGAL in China... but illegal here... SO WHY IMPORT IT!? And even so, there must have been some screwup in China, for there to be enough of the rodenticide to be able to detect it on the wheat gluten AND in tissues from affected animals.... it's sick.

We even had the recalled stuff here at the vet college... if they had discovered it 2 weeks later it would have been in the vet students' pets bellies... it's scary.

TCFC

TCFC":2tdkkhq6 said:
It is really scary.

All because they wanted to save money...

The rat poison that was on the wheat gluten is LEGAL in China... but illegal here... SO WHY IMPORT IT!? And even so, there must have been some screwup in China, for there to be enough of the rodenticide to be able to detect it on the wheat gluten AND in tissues from affected animals.... it's sick.

We even had the recalled stuff here at the vet college... if they had discovered it 2 weeks later it would have been in the vet students' pets bellies... it's scary.

TCFC

The developing country of China has yet to be heard. It will continue to affect our economy on a larger bases and the products we buy will continue to cause customer dissatisfaction.

rk":22rrwzix said:
AngusLimoX":22rrwzix said:

Don't know how it is in Canada, but the pet food industry is pretty closely regulated in U.S. by FDA.....not to a perfect extent, but more so than not.
Also, "ash" does not necessarily mean ground bones, in fact probably not. A listing of "ash" content on the tag refers to the amount that will not burn in a lab test....i.e., indigestible. Almost all feed ingredients have some % ash. It's a measure of digestibility.. I've never heard of euthanized pets going to rendering plants. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't heard of it and don't believe it's a common practice.

Not being argumentative but if it is closely regulated, then is this a regulated blunder?

Thanks for the explanation on ash - it still translates to paying good money for trash to me. We pay for nutrition.

Where do all those tons of perfectly good dead animals go from vet clinics? Incinerated?

AngusLimoX":1yl5walj said:
rk":1yl5walj said:
AngusLimoX":1yl5walj said:

Not being argumentative but if it is closely regulated, then is this a regulated blunder?

Thanks for the explanation on ash - it still translates to paying good money for trash to me. We pay for nutrition.

Where do all those tons of perfectly good dead animals go from vet clinics? Incinerated?

Any animals handled by any clinic I work at and have for the past 20 + years has been sent for cremation IF euthanized--it is not suitable for any consumption. Although, right now, it might be good for some company presidents.....it can kill when consumed if in high enough amounts. I use a product called euthansol which is an anesthetic given at overdose levels. There are other products used which could, I suppose, have different effects, but why would you eat something which was euthanized by a vet???? Euthanized animals cannot be rendered, and must either be cremated or buried/composted on farm.

And just on a tangent, if the animal is perfectly good, why is it then dead?

Vicky the vet":3tj6u6v1 said:
[-Any animals handled by any clinic I work at and have for the past 20 + years has been sent for cremation IF euthanized--it is not suitable for any consumption. Although, right now, it might be good for some company presidents.....it can kill when consumed if in high enough amounts. I use a product called euthansol which is an anesthetic given at overdose levels. There are other products used which could, I suppose, have different effects, but why would you eat something which was euthanized by a vet???? Euthanized animals cannot be rendered, and must either be cremated or buried/composted on farm.

And just on a tangent, if the animal is perfectly good, why is it then dead?

I could be nasty, but I won't. Who picked up those animals for cremation? What did it cost to cremate vs what they made/lb.?

On another tangent, I said perfectly good DEAD animals. Per pound someone can make a buck on them.

I luv herfrds":2o1n6d5j said:
if you look at all meat labels besides beef and pork you will read the Country of Origin. I have found it on New Zealand lamb to Alaskan salmon. People don't really look at the label they look at the price.

On this I will disagree. Where I shop, the meats do not have the country of origin on the label. The only products where I have seen anything resembling a country of origin label has been on frozen fish, crabs, shrimp the occasional piece of lamb, and sometimes on salmon. One of these stores is a large chain (not Walmart) and one is a local family owned grocery,(where I shop most frequently)they own 4 in 3 counties.

Most pre-packaged produce products and juice products will list where they were grown or imported from. I try to buy locally grown as often as possible.

I don't worry about the pork and beef so much as I grow our own. If I want lamb, I buy from a friend who raises them.

Katherine

rk":3fw8sp4o said:
I've never heard of euthanized pets going to rendering plants. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't heard of it and don't believe it's a common practice.

Not all animal shelters, dog-pounds etc. have their own incinerator/crematory. Those are the "euthanised pets" that can wind up at a rendering plant.

Katherine

Wewild":2ed0hvl9 said:
The developing country of China has yet to be heard. It will continue to affect our economy on a larger bases and the products we buy will continue to cause customer dissatisfaction.

:nod: :nod:

Katherine

AngusLimoX":2fj60fvi said:
rk":2fj60fvi said:
AngusLimoX":2fj60fvi said:

Yup...it's a blunder, to be sure, but who knows where/how it occurred. An investigation should hopefully show, but the fact is, it is not yet known yet.

As for ash, you can't buy any food/feed that does not contain some percentage of ash. Every feedstuff has an ash content.

I have never heard of euthanized pets going into pet food. Do you know for a fact that it happens or are you assuming?

The only fact so far is that somebody somewhere screwed up badly. Anything else right now is only assumption.

Katherine,
I normally shop at the local store, but will also shop at Albertson's to get things I can not get from the smaller store. I always try to read the labels. All the shrimp and fish I have looked at had Country of Origin on it.
I also do not worry about our meat. We raise our own beef, get pork from a friend and also get lamb from a different friend.
It is difficult to purchase USA labeled food when you can not always find it. I have asked the butchers for American lamb, beef and pork. They have no answer for me and just funny looks.
Did you hear about that family that tried for a year to buy only Made In USA products? They had a rather hard time getting the things they needed.
The general agreement is coming across that to any industry and any government the most important thing in their world is money and to the h**l with the public. No big surprise here.
On this terrible issue of the dog and cat food the almighty dollar wins again, but at a cost most are not willing to accept.

I luv herfrds
All the shrimp and fish I have looked at had Country of Origin on it.

That is because the current M-COOL law that was passed in 2002 did not get postponed for fish, shrimp, and seafood by the Packer lobbyists like it did for Beef and Pork-- so it is now law that it must be labeled- and it is working quite well for them...No longer can the Vietnamese carp be passed off to consumers as US catfish... :roll: :(

The New Zealand lamb is imported already packaged when it is imported so by law also must be labeled....

Latest posts