How to do a fecal test at home

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd bet you'll find something. But can you tell the difference between Haemonchus Contortus and Liver Flukes? I cannot. Coccidia seems a bit smaller but could that have been some other critter?

Think I'll just worm the whole herd twice a year just to be safe. :shock:

backhoeboogie":2ko970x0 said:
I'd bet you'll find something. But can you tell the difference between Haemonchus Contortus and Liver Flukes? I cannot. Coccidia seems a bit smaller but could that have been some other critter?

Think I'll just worm the whole herd twice a year just to be safe. :shock:
Probably not but I can count.

backhoe...
Funny you should mention those two species...several years back, I had a self-described 'educator', who was an internet goat 'guru'...stalking me about veterinarians misdiagnosing barberpole worm (H.contortus) infection as a leading cause of death in small ruminants, with her contention that it was really liver flukes, and that veterinarians couldn't tell the two eggs apart.
She was WRONG, of course. If you look at photos of the eggs of those two parasites, they really don't look that much alike - other than being sort of oval in outline. Haemonchus has a little morula of developing cells inside, and the fluke eggs have a prominent operculum (trap door) at one end. That, and if you have(and you really need one!) an ocular micrometer so that you can measure egg size, you'd find that the fluke eggs are at least twice as big as the Haemonchus eggs.

In 30+ years of practice and diagnostic pathology in AL, TN, MO, KY - I have seen exactly ONE liver fluke in an animal(elk) - but hundreds, if not thousands, of goats/sheep that died due to Haemonchus infection. In some areas of the country, liver flukes ARE a problem - but not anywhere I've been...

Hook, if you're gonna undertake it, read up on McMasters or Modified Wisconsin counting techniques for quantifying how many eggs/gram of feces are present. Again, an ocular micrometer is very helpful if you're gonna be trying to definitively ID specific ova, larvae, or coccidia oocysts. If you can't measure it, how do you know how big it is?

Lucky, we have slides that are marked for counting. My wife was working for a guy that did nematode research for the golf courses. I haven't checked out the differences yet but I'd bet they are very similar. Thanks

Lucky I wouldn't have a clue. Seen lots of things under a microscope. My guess is I would see multiple organisms. It would be hard to distinguish what was what.

I spent 13 years in college so I could tell what they are...or aren't...and know what to do about 'em. ;-)

Lucky_P":2fgw2soc said:
I spent 13 years in college so I could tell what they are...or aren't...and know what to do about 'em. ;-)

Funny you should mention liver flukes today. I have a 11 month old bull calf that has had chronic diahrrea since he was weaned. Never a drop before but almost instantly after he was weaned. He will seem to overcome it and then go right back downhill every few weeks. After finally giving up on his chances of beating it on his own(BTW never saw one drop of blood indicating Cocci) I called my vet today and she proposed two things, either he does have cocci or liver flukes. We are going to work the bulls this weekend so I will go ahead and get a stool sample and have her test it. If I can find some Ivomec F I will also treat him with that but I am having a hard time finding it here.

3waycross":1tjnxeyr said:
Lucky_P":1tjnxeyr said:

Funny you should mention liver flukes today. I have a 11 month old bull calf that has had chronic diahrrea since he was weaned. Never a drop before but almost instantly after he was weaned. He will seem to overcome it and then go right back downhill every few weeks. After finally giving up on his chances of beating it on his own(BTW never saw one drop of blood indicating Cocci) I called my vet today and she proposed two things, either he does have cocci or liver flukes. We are going to work the bulls this weekend so I will go ahead and get a stool sample and have her test it. If I can find some Ivomec F I will also treat him with that but I am having a hard time finding it here.
Liver flukes need snails as an intermediate host. Do younger snails at that altitude? Creeks, waterholes etc

Liver flukes need snails as an intermediate host. Do younger snails at that altitude? Creeks, waterholes etc[/quote]

:roll: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: this is Colorado. Not Tibet!

Caution: Beware of any articles on parasite identification, treatment, or management written by Sue Reith; saw her listed as an author on the FiascoFarm site linked above.
She may know her own Toggenbergs on her own little island, but she is not a parasitologist or veterinarian and some of her writings could result in disastrous results for folks with sheep/goats who might follow them thinking that she knows what she's doing - especially if they're located somewhere other than the Pacific Northwest; following her recommendations and opinions would be VERY BAD for folks in the Southeast, upper South, or lower Midwest.

3waycross":3p8o89yw said:
Liver flukes need snails as an intermediate host. Do younger snails at that altitude? Creeks, waterholes etc

:roll: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: this is Colorado. Not Tibet![/quote]
The way you talk about cows dieing because the altitude maybe snails die too. :mrgreen: