Dog Mange

Help Support CattleToday:

Even though used motor oil would be the best possible cure for the mange, have you considered the thought that your dog could become an EPA hazardous area?

Put your dog up after you dip him,or you'll have a mess on your porch,carport,and such. But i'd give it a shot of ivomec,once a week for 3 weeks. But have him checked for heart worms before you shoot him with ivomec. It will kill heart worms and cause the dog to have a heart attack.

Why not get some actual medicine from the veterinarian?

Wait a minute - a home remedy - brought to you by a complete stranger on the internet HAS to be better than the real thing.

Anything to save a buck - sheesh.

Bez+

Bez+":10lqsphh said:

Wait a minute - a home remedy - brought to you by a complete stranger on the internet HAS to be better than the real thing.

Bez+

Why not just shoot the d@m thing, after all it's only a dog and a bullet is cheap but treating a dog might cost a buck or two.. :roll:

I have heard dipping it in turpentine works for mange but you need to hang it from the close line by its tail for a day or two until it drys as it will make a mess everywhere and take the stain off of your deck... :help:

WTF get the dog to the vet , ,mange is very very hard to treat and even with proper treatment they still have to be put down some times ;get the proper meds asap..

This person is here for help, not to be criticized. Yes you should go to the vet to have them do a skin scrapping to diagnose the type of mange mite that your dog has. There are normally 2 types and both can easily be treated. That way there he/she can treat them with the correct medications.

For topical treatments usually clip the hair and soak the dog in an antiseborrheic shampoo so the crusts and dirt can be removed. I am not sure how to mix the lime/sulphur, but it is very effective. Normally several dips are required and should do them about 4-5 days apart from each other.
Good luck.

i have used vet & sulfur dip before & i have also used the black motor oil. sulfur dip has to be used for three or four days, motor oil kills the mange in one treatment. shooting a dog in usa is considered worse than killing a person anymore

the recipe for lime sulphar is dilute 1:8.

There are more effective ways to treat mange though, consult your vet.

didn't say i don't shoot anything, just voiceing the opinion of the bleeding hearts that will holler. i have chickens & guineas running around & i kill anything that comes around. but i like the bleeding hearts that will pay thousands of dollars & doctors that will work on dogs or cats for free, while a person without insurance is not treated at all. go to a town & kill a dog or cat & see how long before you are locked up, ain't like there are to many of them anyway

Bez+":co6lq9lv said:

Bez+
This day and age I try to save a buck as often as I can by not running to the vet everytime an animal gets the sniffles. You may, and that might be why you are "still trying to get back to even."

Burnt motor oil *might* clear up sarcoptic mange, but it won't touch demodectic('red') mange. I know. Firsthand.
See your veterinarian for an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.

I mixed burnt oil and diesel and sponged it on them. The dry skin flaked off and thier coats are comming back fine, no more scratching. I guess I was lucky to have the right type of mange.

Latest posts