Sarcoptic mange?

Help Support CattleToday:

MO.farming

Reaction score
I have this milk cow (she has two calves on her) that has a lot of small bumps on her head, neck and shoulders. I've treated her for mange with a topical spray and given her pour on ivermectin since it says it covers mange. But nothing has helped and it just seems like it is getting g worse. She also is losing weight and I don't like that at all!
I'd put a picture on but wasn't able to figure that out :(
Is there anything else that looks like mange?
If it is mange whats the best way to treat it?

I was going to give then a call. I'll probably be getting the injectable ivermectin from them anyways and they might have some other info for me as well.
I sure hope it's not cutaneous lymphosarcoma. I have seen that when I was researching this problem she has..

I'm pretty sure it isn't that..? the bumps were smaller and not as noticeable when I had her in a paddock where she had nothing to rub on. Now that she can rub she has rubbed them open on her neck.
The picture makes the bumps look a little bigger than they are.

That's interesting I never thought of that. Yes we do have a lot of horn flies! I don't know how to get rid of them. What do you all do for flies? I've seen you can use eartags but others say those don't work well...

I was thinking though she did have these bumps before the flies came out.... so maybe it isn't the flies, I wish I could keep those off of her.
Another thing that might have been bad for her was that about 2 or 3 weeks ago she got in a lot of feed and bloated pretty bad, I do blame some of her weightloss to that.

I had a large number of cows late last summer, that had bumps that looked like that. There were small scabs in those bumps and I scratched some off with my knife and sprayed with iodine. I wasn't worried and assumed it was some kind of ring worm or an insect like chiggers. The cows were all getting an ivermectine pour-on at the time and the bumps went away over the next month. I'm glad I didn't read this post about cutaneous lymphosarcoma at that time. 😳

The pour on didn't work for me but the injectable worked right away. But I'm glad it worked for you. I'm so glad my cow didn't have cutaneous lymphosarcoma.

I have got a bottle calf that has it. It started on her chin and ears and worked it's way onto face and neck. I did the pour on also and it's just getting so much worse even a week later. I'll definitely be looking into the injectable.

There has been a lot of resistance to pour on avermectins, that's why the injectible works better.
You still need to pour cattle at some point, just use something like Cylence. DeWorm with Safeguard, either orally or in the mineral. It will take care of a lot more worms effectively.

Latest posts