Doe's this sound like lice?

Help Support CattleToday:

wideurt

Reaction score
Had all my cows and calves worked first part of Dec. Didn't do the pour on did Ivomec injection.Well all the cows had some bald spots and the vet said it was no big deal. Well now it kind of looks like mud in their hair on top of their withers and up their neck. It is cracked and kind of raw in places and other places it is like stuck in their hair. Kind of like how a hot spot looks on a dog. I called the vet but have not had no responce yet so I thought I would ask here. I figure maybe it is biting lice and a pour on should take care of it. Thanks

wideurt":1qb8o80r said:
Had all my cows and calves worked first part of Dec. Didn't do the pour on did Ivomec injection.Well all the cows had some bald spots and the vet said it was no big deal. Well now it kind of looks like mud in their hair on top of their withers and up their neck. It is cracked and kind of raw in places and other places it is like stuck in their hair. Kind of like how a hot spot looks on a dog. I called the vet but have not had no responce yet so I thought I would ask here. I figure maybe it is biting lice and a pour on should take care of it. Thanks

I disagree and I think by now you do too. I would pour them for lice and look for another vet if at all possible.

Larry

larryshoat":6m5vf3f7 said:
wideurt":6m5vf3f7 said:

I disagree and I think by now you do too. I would pour them for lice and look for another vet if at all possible.

Larry
BINGO, we have a winner!
Late winter or early spring it's not that unusual, but this early in the winter I think you're begging trouble if you don;t pour them for lice NOW

Sounds like ringworm the way I am reading it, pour them and they should be good to go, the pour on won't clear up ringworm but if its lice it will clear them up. If it is ringworm it will clear up with time, or iodine will clear it up, and ring worm isn't harmful unless it is large amounts. Hard to diagnose without seeing it in person. Are they large spots with out hair or are they small spots that are gray and raised off from the skin?

I tried to post a couple of pics but had no luck. It said my files were to big . My camera is on the smallest mega pixel it will go., but I guess that is not the answer.Anyway the spots are the size of a quarter and smaller. Like I was trying to explain it looks kind of like dirt and the ones that have festered up it is like stuck in the hair.I usually pour 3 times a year. Have been using Cydecton mostly and that is why I went with Ivomec injectable. Was reading that the injectable was not that good on biting lice.What would you all recomend using for pour on,The Epinex or would the Agri mectin be as good ( $105.00 a liter compaired to $35.00 ).I just checked today to and I still have dust in my mineral feeder ( Zipcide dust ( Prozap ) As far as my vet I have just changed vet because my other vet s------ed too. And yes they eat through a hay ring.

Not uncommon for them to rub hair off their neck when they're eating through a hay ring. I'd suspect that if the missing hair is on the top of their neck. Could be lice, but it sounds like you've got a decent de-lousing program implemented. PM me for an email address and I'll post them for you if you like.

Thanks milkmaid . Dun already got ahold of me and I emailed them to him. The pics are not real good.The camera does not seem to want to zoom in to good. I also have a guide-wire from a telephone pole that they like to rub on and that is what I figured most of the problem was.

sounds like ing worm to me. if it was lice they would be rubbing hair off in large patches where they scratch on anything they can find. ringworm forms a big scabby surface

RR1.jpg

RR2.jpg

RR3.jpg

Sometimes with lice, a cow will rub it's shoulders too.

Anyhow. About your large pictures. There is a good free program that will allow you to reduce the size of your pictures plus other stuff. It is easy to use for resizing.

You can download it at: http://www.irfanview.com/

Won't pretend to know what that is...but GAWD, it's gotta itch!

Alice

What they had when we worked them was spots were their hair was wore off not bald just wore down. Thats why I figured it was from rubbing on the guide line and other things plus the vet was there working the chute and giving the shots. He said nothing to worry about. I called him back today he told me to pore them and la200 50ml per cow since I put a bull in with them after being worked. Well I called the guy that I got the bull from and he said he has had no problems like this and as far as I can tell the bull looks good and so do all the calves. Anyway what I'm going to do is pour em with ivomec epinox and see how they do in a week. They don't act sick and don't want to stress em that much cause we have some extreme cold weather coming on tomorrow night.If possible I might be able to take some better pics tomorrow, got a new camera and lenses are coming tomorrow
Anyway Thanks for all the HELP Very Much APPRECIATED!!!

wideurt":2qv8j4fh said:
What they had when we worked them was spots were their hair was wore off not bald just wore down. Thats why I figured it was from rubbing on the guide line and other things plus the vet was there working the chute and giving the shots. He said nothing to worry about. I called him back today he told me to pore them and la200 50ml per cow since I put a bull in with them after being worked. Well I called the guy that I got the bull from and he said he has had no problems like this and as far as I can tell the bull looks good and so do all the calves. Anyway what I'm going to do is pour em with ivomec epinox and see how they do in a week. They don't act sick and don't want to stress em that much cause we have some extreme cold weather coming on tomorrow night.If possible I might be able to take some better pics tomorrow, got a new camera and lenses are coming tomorrow
Anyway Thanks for all the HELP Very Much APPRECIATED!!!

They don't act sick

Which, to me, has always meant the best thing...

I would bet the ivomec and the cold weather will take care of that nasty lookin' "psoriasis." Now, all ya' gotta do is figure out how to keep it from happenin' again. Hint: bleach water, bleach water and more bleach water...on everything...kinda like when kids have pin worms....

Alice

Latest posts