does this look like cancer eye?

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
S6302419_zpszbs1ry14.jpg

S6302421_zpslwhb7gwl.jpg

I have no experience with cancer eye, but, as a result of the horn shape, I am quite curious about this particular animal.

How old and what is the reproductive history?

The only cancer eye I've seen (not many) had an actual growth looking thing coming from the eye. I don;t see it in the pictures, to me it looks like just an eye irritation of some sort.

i was thinking it might have just poked it with a stick or got something in it. we had some logging done and tops in the edge of the woods and for some reason they like walking thru them.

I can't tell if any swelling is present but I could be pink eye or an eye injury.

Questions

Any swelling present

How long has it been running.

Any small growth around the eyelid

WalnutCrest":1xs8um6p said:
I have no experience with cancer eye, but, as a result of the horn shape, I am quite curious about this particular animal.

im guessing she is between 8-10yrs old. her mom was a herford mix and dad was a beefmaster mix. she has always given me good calves and have had no problems out of her. best i can remember her horns have always been shaped like that.

1982vett":9wsbwsn9 said:
I can't tell if any swelling is present but I could be pink eye or an eye injury.

Questions

Any swelling present

How long has it been running.

Any small growth around the eyelid
i cant tell that there is any swelling or growths just yellowish matter or puss running down its face from her eye. the eyeball still looks normal as well. its been doing it for about a week now.

Kinda looks like pinkeye, my herefords sometimes get yellowish waxy stuff near eyes and ears. Could be that running down with tearing.

Is she blinking a lot?

With cancer eye I think you should see a growth or wart like thing.

That's how it can start, lots of weeping and the sclera (white of eye) can seem very red with blood vessels pooling blood to point where growth will start. Noticeable growth can come afterwards. If weeping goes on for several months, I label it as early cancer eye and ship them. Buyers won't pay anything for an animal here with noticeable cancer eye. Severe cancer eye won't even be allowed at the yards.

But the pus suggest an infection of some sort. Load her up with some antibiotics and see what happens.

scf84":1gu2ap6i said:
WalnutCrest":1gu2ap6i said:

im guessing she is between 8-10yrs old. her mom was a herford mix and dad was a beefmaster mix. she has always given me good calves and have had no problems out of her. best i can remember her horns have always been shaped like that.

Thanks for the detail.

My breed (Aubrac) is from France; the French breeders say that horn shape is an indication of hormone function -- feminine shaped horns on a bull show a lack of testosterone and masculine horns on a cow indicate a lack of estrogen and/or progesterone ... hence my question about her production and age. Again, thanks for the detail.

I hope her eye gets better and she gives you lots more healthy, growthy, fertile calves. :)