Does distillers slop hurt cows teeth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucasbranham

Reaction score
I've been feeding distillers thin slop to my cows/calves for about 6 months or so. I haven't seen any problems. But I was told by someone today that it will quickly rot their teeth. Anyone ever seen a confirmed case of this happening?

I've been wondering since I saw your post, I googled it and found nothing. I can see how it would, and then on the other hand I can see how it wouldn't. In a free choice situation, if they just kept going back and forth, then it might.

I do not believe it would. I have never fed the thin sloppy kind. I have seen it fed on YT and can not see how it could damage teeth. They seem to just slurp it down.

I couldnt find any info on it either. I Am only feeding as a supplement to pasture and hay. I would think that if they are only eating/drinking it for 30 minutes per day and the rest of the time eating roughage and drinking clean water that their teeth would stay pretty clean. I guess we will see.

If you don't know, might as well ask. I can get wet distillers grain. Is the slop the moisture that is drained from it? The wet is about $50 a ton. The dry always seemed like a better buy. I know somebody will ask, the stabilized wet is about $80. The dry is all I've ever fooled with.

BF,
We fed the modified distiller's for several years, but my boss (wife) put the pencil to it, and determined that the dry stuff was a better buy... and we don't have to lug as many buckets of it on a daily basis to get 'em fed... and the ones we do lug are lighter.

Bigfoot":2a1cn9uw said:
If you don't know, might as well ask. I can get wet distillers grain. Is the slop the moisture that is drained from it? The wet is about $50 a ton. The dry always seemed like a better buy. I know somebody will ask, the stabilized wet is about $80. The dry is all I've ever fooled with.

They say Thin slop is about 90% liquid and it is what is immediately left over after the alcohol making process. You can buy the grain in numerous consistencies after they start removing the liquid from it. It seems by volume when I let a 275 gallon tank settle that there is about 20-25% grain in the bottom. I've had good luck so far.

Lucasbranham":1y929b5j said:
Bigfoot":1y929b5j said:

They say Thin slop is about 90% liquid and it is what is immediately left over after the alcohol making process. You can buy the grain in numerous consistencies after they start removing the liquid from it. It seems by volume when I let a 275 gallon tank settle that there is about 20-25% grain in the bottom. I've had good luck so far.

Makes me wonder what they do with that product in my town. I could walk to the ethanol plant from my house. It wouldn't be hard to move if I could get ahold of it. How you guys go about feeding it?

I just empty a tote into water troughs. I feed about 275 gallons per day to 15 pairs as supplement.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but when you google distilled slop, almost every entry brings you back to our forum.

So, you dump it in a water trough. I'm assuming some solids settle to the bottom. Do cattle drink the liquid down to solids, then eat the solids? I guess what's at the bottom would be more of slurry.

Bigfoot":t9s00pdj said:
Sorry to be asking so many questions, but when you google distilled slop, almost every entry brings you back to our forum.

So, you dump it in a water trough. I'm assuming some solids settle to the bottom. Do cattle drink the liquid down to solids, then eat the solids? I guess what's at the bottom would be more of slurry.

Yes. That is what happens. They will eat/drink all of that in about an hour. I have video of my setup but have never figured out posting here.

dun":3pgc4d95 said:
Do you have analysis of what's in it and the feed value?
The wet brewers grain I get from Budweiser is not sloppy, rather like moist sawdust. It tested 30% protein. can't remember off hand the other numbers.
We fed with a front end loader and put it in the regular bunk feeders.

I can dig up my reports. I do remember off hand it was near 75% water though. And not sloppy at that level. I got away from it because of availability issues. Some weeks there would be lots, and none the next from the place I got it. Didn't like taking the feeders on and off it and dealing with the hassle.

Edit, and this was for WBG like mentioned above.

I haven't personally had it tested. If you google it there is a university of Kentucky report on it.

Lucasbranham":1qqa1cdd said:
I haven't personally had it tested. If you google it there is a university of Kentucky report on it.
I wouldn't call it slop although it usually runs at least 65% moisture (so does corn silage). I never fed the wet distiller's grain but used to feed as much as 40 lbs., per head per day of wet brewers grain as by-product of beer manufacturing. It's a great ingredient, high protein on a dry matter basis and almost actually considered roughage once processed. I wouldn't worry about the teeth of my cattle. Just make sure they get plenty of grazing and/or hay and keep in mind you have to feed much more of it than you realize due to the high moisture, low dry matter content.

Latest posts