does anyone on here run their diesel truck...

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
on veggie oil? If so what are the possible dangers to the engine if any? I'm looking at buying a 94 turbo diesel and am exploring my options to see if it is really worth it.

Met a guy 2 months age that burns nothing but old oil from his catfish fryers, owns restaurants. Goes all over, loves it. No cost to go cross country.

Pretty soon while you are waiting for your big Mac you will be fillin' up on French Fry Grease.

Yeah :D But as I get older the French Frys make me more Tired. Will it have staying power. :?: :oops: :help: For answer ask my wife.

I have used Biodiesel in my truck and tractors and I like it. But I gotta say this and I guess you already know it but Biodiesel is different than used catfish grease. It may start with a veggie oil but it is modified (de-esterfication or something like that). I would not put raw veggie oil in my diesel tank.

Try this site for information on converting veggie oil. http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com

Earl Thigpen":3qek3p22 said:
I have used Biodiesel in my truck and tractors and I like it. But I gotta say this and I guess you already know it but Biodiesel is different than used catfish grease. It may start with a veggie oil but it is modified (de-esterfication or something like that). I would not put raw veggie oil in my diesel tank.

Try this site for information on converting veggie oil. http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com

I am interested in the saving money part not the save the planet part. We know some people that have run used oil in theri diesels for almost two years and have had no problems. They are cars not trucks. Why would you not use it in your truck?

If you can get it warm it up and run it through a filter os some sort ,I use a thick woolen sock, then mix it 50/50 with normal diesel. Pour it straight in the tank in areas over 50 F and you wont notice the difference except in the wallet.

If you can get it to mix with diesel before the straining then thats even quicker through the filter but my locale is a bit cold and it prefers to be heated up- I just dont like mixing it near a naked flame even though they tell me its quite safe.

tytower":axqkn6o3 said:
If you can get it warm it up and run it through a filter os some sort ,I use a thick woolen sock, then mix it 50/50 with normal diesel. Pour it straight in the tank in areas over 50 F and you wont notice the difference except in the wallet.

If you can get it to mix with diesel before the straining then thats even quicker through the filter but my locale is a bit cold and it prefers to be heated up- I just dont like mixing it near a naked flame even though they tell me its quite safe.

Sounds like more work than its worth.

GMN

I have a little over two years running grease in two tractors and two pickups. The best place to get info is something like greasecar or frybrid, orone of the other companies selling conversion equipment. The sites have discussion boards and you will find a lot of good info from people like me that never bought a conversion kit.
First things get good oil from someplace that doesnt use hydrogenated oil and seperates sausage grease from fryer grease. Fryer grease is commonly some mix of soy and or sunflower or others.
Second get some screens and filters. you can screen with bucket type screens 100 mesh or so. I get bag or sock filters from mcmaster carr hardware company on the net.
Third let the oil settle and seperate for a month or so. I add baking soda and water softener salt.
Fourth only use the top layer of good clean oil pour it thru the screen then bag filter. filter it each time you move it I use a steel wool homemade filter.
The vehicles need dual tanks and tank supply switches. I have a Ford and GM. The ford was easy all I needed was to run pvc lines in the top of one tank to use coolant to heat the oil for cold weather operation.
I added a small start up diesel tank and supply switch to both tractors and the GM pickup. I added 2 12 volt fuel pumps one on each side of the original fuel filter to help with supply. I spent about 200 per vehicle. I save about $100 per week.
Its the independence that will drive you, once you feel the impact in your wallet.

Latest posts