Does anyone know?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
The original name of the angus bull that topped the Auburn Univ. bull test in 1982 and had his name changed to "Lovana" ?

He was bred by R.C. Price of Newville, Al and sold at the test station sale for $320,000.00, and sold later to Ankony for $1.3 MILLION.

He sired Basin Rainmaker (I believe) and several other big name angus sires.

I have heard and seen Lovana in some Angus bloodlines before, but I don't know his original name.

THG

MikeC":aahu1qgp said:
The original name of the angus bull that topped the Auburn Univ. bull test in 1982 and had his name changed to "Lovana" ?

He was bred by R.C. Price of Newville, Al and sold at the test station sale for $320,000.00, and sold later to Ankony for $1.3 MILLION.

He sired Basin Rainmaker (I believe) and several other big name angus sires.

Power Play 70

http://www.albcia.org/Purebreds.html

He sired GDAR Rainmaker 340 which is the sire of Basin Rainmaker. I've still got an old 340 daughter here that is 15 years old. She always looks a bit on the frail side but gets herself back in calf. I fl;ushed her to Conneally Freightliner last year. PS Power Play is a son of Early Sunset Emulous 60E who was bred just down the road an hour from here-the Angus world isn't all that large sometimes.

Frankie, I looked all over that site and din't see that.

NR, That Lovana bull was a big boy If I remember right. Seems he was a Frame 8 angus in 1982. Unheard of.

Northern Rancher":3t8x10yn said:
He sired GDAR Rainmaker 340 which is the sire of Basin Rainmaker. I've still got an old 340 daughter here that is 15 years old. She always looks a bit on the frail side but gets herself back in calf. I fl;ushed her to Conneally Freightliner last year. PS Power Play is a son of Early Sunset Emulous 60E who was bred just down the road an hour from here-the Angus world isn't all that large sometimes.

And Lovana's bottom (maternal) line is full of Oklahoma cows. Both from Murray Corbin's Emulous line and Bill's Tail N cattle.

MikeC":153lj1jv said:

NR, That Lovana bull was a big boy If I remember right. Seems he was a Frame 8 angus in 1982. Unheard of.

It doesn't say his name was changed. But he was bred by Mr. Price (see the link below). The site says that bull won the Auburn test and sold for that money. He was probably named for his sire, PS Power Play, also Lovana's sire. Do you think there were two bulls with the same sire that won that test and sold for that amount of money in that time frame? What was his ADG?

Doesn't Auburn keep records back that far? Or Mr. Price might still be around to ask.

http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl ... 5D4C4B5B46

Frankie":y304xxbs said:
MikeC":y304xxbs said:

It doesn't say his name was changed. But he was bred by Mr. Price (see the link below). The site says that bull won the Auburn test and sold for that money. He was probably named for his sire, PS Power Play, also Lovana's sire. Do you think there were two bulls with the same sire that won that test and sold for that amount of money in that time frame? What was his ADG?

Doesn't Auburn keep records back that far? Or Mr. Price might still be around to ask.

http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl ... 5D4C4B5B46

He IS Lovana.

Yes, Lisa has those records. 57 years of them, but she's got a special research project going on now.

Don't know his ADG but can find out.

scroll down about halfway:

http://www.ankonyatpineridge.com/aboutus.html

Power Play was a big bull, but the Emulous cattle were pretty moderate. It's interesting that Lovana's EPD accuracies are still so low. I think you can still get semen on him, though looking at his EPDs, I'd wonder why anyone would want to today.

1982, wasn't about the height of the investment? Because of tax incentives people were coming out of the woodwork investing in cattle.

Frankie":1bgh5dzm said:
Power Play was a big bull, but the Emulous cattle were pretty moderate. It's interesting that Lovana's EPD accuracies are still so low. I think you can still get semen on him, though looking at his EPDs, I'd wonder why anyone would want to today.
Frankie-

You are absolutely right! If a knowledgeable Angus breeder of today would see the EPD's of Lovana without knowing who he was, - there would be NO way he would want to use him in a modern herd of today! Yet, when Ankony 'introduced' Lovana to the Angus fraternity, it was similar to the discovery of electricity, the invention of the Steam Engine, and Eli Whitney's invention of the Cotton Gin! Ankony's public relations Promotion of Lovana incorporated an advertising campaign that was extraordinary in it concepts! To hear and read Ankony tell it - Lovana was an entirely new concept of breeding beef cattle - ALL BY HIMSELF! It required a change of thinking and understanding what "Beef Cattle" was all about! It was as if Lovana himself was a different species - which required breeders to start thinking about a completely different way to analysize a Bull - from the hoofs to the poll - and from the hooks to the pins - so much so that they mailed out expandablle folders to describe what the "NEW" way of "THINKING" - AND judging - was all about! Lovana was elevated to a new level of PERCEPTION of what a Beef Bull was really all about! Forget your "old" ways of thinking about beef cattle and join the flood of 'New and Improved' "perception-thinking" regarding what Purebred Angus had evolved into, and don't get left behind with your stodgy and outdated kind of 'plug-along' mating methods! LOVANA IS HERE! Everything else is second-rate, and if you don't jump on the bandwagon - why, you will be left in the dust of despair! This was the beginning of a new concept of planning and thinking by successful breeders everywhere!

And they were right!!

A-h-h-h-h Memories! :) ;-)

DOC HARRIS

That's pretty neat DOC! Interesting that this landmark sire greatest son was produced in another herd.

What would be the reasoning that they were trying to teach people a new way of looking at cattle? Was it a sort of bullying that would almost shame someone feeling out of place if they didn't use him. Although I haven't seen the same exact scenario there are lots of tactics that could be compared.

SEC":6asfn7yu said:
That's pretty neat DOC! Interesting that this landmark sire greatest son was produced in another herd.

What would be the reasoning that they were trying to teach people a new way of looking at cattle? Was it a sort of bullying that would almost shame someone feeling out of place if they didn't use him. Although I haven't seen the same exact scenario there are lots of tactics that could be compared.
SEC-

ABSOLUTELY those were the inferences propounded! Lovana had lousy EPD's by the standards of today with the exception of BW (2.2), Milk (+12)(?) and $EN (+14.22). Yearling Weight was +41! The carcass and Ultra sound readings were all negative! The $B was -1.93. His sire P S Power Play was a big bull - probably 6..5 - 8.0 - I really don't know. But his pedigree gathered a little of the good breeding for eight to ten generations preceding him into one package - LOVANA, and they didn't let anyone forget it. He was an outcross within the Angus Breed. His PHENOTYPE was exceptional, and it was somewhat the end of the fancy 'SHOW HAIR DRESSING', combing technics, and standing them in belly deep bedding that they had used for many years. Lovana was smooth-brushed and standing with NO bedding or grass under him so you could see how he blended together phenotypically!

It was a beautiful thing!

DOC HARRIS

This was ADVERTISING to the HILT, and it was effective!

Lovana was a frame score 7. He was the first 7 frame Angus at the Auburn bull test. It is kind of funny that TALL bulls like Lovana and his half brother and fellow 7 framer Scotch Cap are both easy keeping $EN leaders (+10.61 and +14.22), better than a lot of the moderate framed bulls today. I don't know WHAT that says about the Angus $EN EPD.....or about today's modern Angus; but I am pretty nostalgic about the females I remember from both sires.

MikeC,

I "think" Lovana's Orginal name was something like "Angus Acres Power Play 481?? I dont remember the number but pretty sure about the first part.

I owned one Lovana daughter and loved her she was such a great cow about 5.5 frame and a perfect rump structure and topline. Lost her in an accident at the age of eight.

Lovana's orignal name was "Angus Acres Power Play 70". Those of you who are critical of Lovana's EPDs probably don't remember that Scotch Cap was one of the highest YW EPD bulls around the time that Lovana was in mainstream use and his YW EPD is around 65. Nichols Landmark L56 at 67 and Eldorado 156 of Ideal at 69 were two of the other high growth bulls. Q A S Traveler 23-4 was a popular calving ease bull at 48. Lovana was a good bull and much more useful than bulls such as Progression, Sir Wms Warrant (also owned by Lovana Farm), Dr Spock who were in widespread use when he came along. It's a shame Lovana's Epds don't have the accuracy level of these last three, he should have been used more and they less. I forgot to mention Pine Drive Big Sky and Fairfield Hi Guy. ;-)

"Lovana"

1982 AUBURN UNIVERSITY TEST DATA:

Adjusted yearling weight=1312 lbs.

ADG=4.0 lbs.

WDA=3.49 lbs.

Feed Efficiency Ratio = 6.5/1

Frame = 7+ = 53.25"

Not very spectacular by todays standards but blew the doors open for the Angus breed at the time. There were other Cont breeds that did better in the test that same year as was expected then.

Latest posts