Dodged a bullet

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Prussic acid poisoning is real-we've been letting our girls "mow" our yard area, and I had this overgrown with Johnson grass garden patch. We have had rain in the past 3 weeks finally after drought, all of the "safety" sites say should be ok to graze. Big older girl made one pass through, eating the tall stuff, then suddenly stopped grazing and walked over into a shady spot. Very lethargic, didn't want to eat (she's a pig usually), drooling, but no obvious signs of respiratory difficulty. Inner lips were cool. I finally got her to start eating some cubes, sweet feed and corn, and she seems to be coming back to more normal. We're at the 1:15 mark after she stopped grazing. Hope I got lucky. Called the vet-she called back at 1:30 into this ordeal-said to watch for another 1-2 hours, if continues to improve, caught in time. If worse, haul in for IV antidote. She's improving-up to grazing slowly again.

Attachments

• 775307EA-B0AF-4F70-A7C9-AF4A0CDD9029.jpeg
    775307EA-B0AF-4F70-A7C9-AF4A0CDD9029.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Here is a fact sheet of it in Australian conditions along with treatment.
Bright red mucous membranes are characteristic of it. Hauling it in for treatment doesn't exactly come under quiet handling of the cow.

Ken

Here is a fact sheet of it in Australian conditions along with treatment.
Bright red mucous membranes are characteristic of it. Hauling it in for treatment doesn't exactly come under quiet handling of the cow.

Ken
Not sure how you would load a cow that is hypoxic, either…didn't notice the mucous membrane color change-maybe because it was mild? Cold inner lips on a 95 degree day was a bit concerning though.

If she ain't dead yet, she won't be....or so the vet tells me. He was right. When they get a mild case of it, it takes a long time for them to get enough oxygen back in their blood to act normally.
What's the abortion likelihood, or have you dealt with that? She's 90 days bred…

Latest posts