Dodge Ram Manual Tranny Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Before I take the ranch truck to the garage I'd like to get some insite into what may be the problem. It's a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 5 speed and I took a load of busted up concrete to the recyclers a couple of weeks ago and on the way there all was well. Leaving the yard though I heard a small clicking sound and by the time I got home, about 6 miles, it was a loud clicking sound. When I put the truck in N and coasted into the driveway, I still heard the sound but it wasn't as prominent. Last summer I had tranny problems also, but then I had problems shifting out of second going up and shifting into first going down. Whenever I'd go over a bump going highway speed the tranny would make a grinding noise for about a second. I'm hoping it's just a clutch and not a tranny. Any help would be appreciated. Going to the auto repair after the New Year.

I'd check the U joints first and foremost.. sounds like the needles may have been ground to a pulp, the additional stress of getting a load of broken up concrete, coupled with the change in pinion angle due to the loading, may have put them over the top

it's not sounding like a clutch problem to me...

and it doesn't really sound like tranny either though, except for the hard shifting

I suggest draining the tranny fluid and checking for metal filings, etc in it, that should give you something to go by
Brass in filings = Worn syncros, which would explain the hard shifts, though usually it will just grind the gears when they wear
slivers of steel are probably gears themselves,
steel dust can be from gears, bearings, fork and collar wear..
Aluminum... something is rubbing on the casing somewhere

my suggestion is check ujoints first, and tranny oil second... maybe start looking for a tranny now while the truck still drives... while you're at it, I think a 6 speed will fit

I have a 94 dually diesel ram

I`ll second the u-joints. Usually trannies don`t do much clicking. To check for clutch issues, when you push the clutch in (while coasting) does the noise change much. If it does, then you _may_ have clutch issues. If not, then look elsewhere. To make it easy to check for filings in the tranny, get a small flexible mechanics magnet and stick it in the filler hole. Move it around a bit, then let it rest on the bottom of the tranny overnight. If you have filings, they`ll gravitate to it over night. I don`t think the Chrysler trans on a 1500 had a magnetic drain plug in those years...

Rod

Thanks for your help. I do know my front U-joints are bad, but the new clicking isn't coming from in front it's coming from underneath now. When I coast in neutral it's not as prominent as when I'm in gear. The reason I suspected a clutch problem is because it's easier to push in than when I got it and it engages sooner.

I love Dodge Rams, we bought a new quad cab Cummins 2500 on Labor Day!

The u-joints will echo off everything. Fix them first sense you know they are bad, then listen again.
You should have fixed them already. Ever seen what can happen when they come apart at 70 MPH, especially the front.
While you are at it u-joints are cheap, go ahead and replace the rear. And don't forget to check the carrier bearing.

Latest posts