Docility ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would say from my experience that Murray Grays are like Brangus...or Limo's

Australian Cattleman":1nhqbgu6 said:
South Devon are without doubt the most docile of the breeds of beef cattle available. Other breeds that are docile I have found are our Brahmans (the most intelligent). Murray Greys are even tempered as well.Herefords rate well also.
Colin

I think this is first time I ever heard Brahmans listed as Docile

1848":1nhqbgu6 said:

I think this is first time I ever heard Murray Grays listed as not Docile

i bet there are some murray greys out there that will eat your lunch and hang your undies on the flagpole afterwards.

Beefy":17movhvy said:
i bet there are some murray greys out there that will eat your lunch and hang your undies on the flagpole afterwards.

But do you think there is any Brahmans out there that will let you pet them and come when you call their name? :D

aplusmnt":2dd237w7 said:
Beefy":2dd237w7 said:

But do you think there is any Brahmans out there that will let you pet them and come when you call their name? :D

thats a fact.

I have seen photos of a certain lady on these boards leaning against or sitting on a Brahman. They probably come when she calls their name.

I'm suprised no one mentioned Highlands. They are well known for being docile. Even the bulls are even tempered. Of course I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them.
I'm also suprised that no one mentioned Longhorns, I've always heard they were pretty gentle, am I misinformed?

1848":1ecysn1r said:

Wow, that really surprises me. :eek: Having been around Murray Greys most of my life I've seen very, very few that were anything other than docile.

Beefy":298cui98 said:

I've only been around Murray Greys for 11 years; not
exactly my lifetime. During that time I've never seen
a wild one. The closest thing to being uncooperative in our herd is one cow (now 14 yrs old) that always hides her calf for a week or so.

Only time Limos are docile is when they butcher starts to process.
Herfs are usually cream puffs - and I ain't got a single one, do have a few crosses that are very easily handled, come when you call and usually bring a nice baldy calf every year.

I think it depends on how you operate. There are gentle ones in all breeds. I"m out walking among mine every day and they come running when they see the vehicle pull up. Perhaps not a good thing if cattle rustling were to come to this area.

The only breed that I have never seen that wasn't wild (and someone else posted on here a few days ago that theirs were gentle) is red brangus. The ones I have personally seen in this area are 1/2 fruitcake and 1/2 deer.