Docility.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
The Gelbvieh association has recently added a docility EPD. Not sure how accurate it will be, but seems like the got these two pretty close. Cow is top 4% and this bull calf of hers is top 10%. Neither have ever been haltered.

We don't necessarily pet on our cows/calves, but our Gelbvieh and balancer calves are just dog gentle. Wean with little to no bawling and heifer pastures are almost silent.

I've had the opposite experience with my black gelbvieh bulls. The calves out of them act like deer. Bouncing off of fences and gates. They sure grow well, but some are nuts. I am buying a couple from a different breeder. He swears I won't have that problem with his bulls. Time will tell.
I put Herefords on that group of cows last year, the calves are eat out of your hand gentle.
I love me some balancer calves, so hope that fixes the problem
That's a nice looking bull calf by the way.

I find these breeds cropping up with a docility number pretty amusing. Limousin caught a crap for docility for years, but now every breed seems to be in need of a doc #.

Brute 23 said:
I kind of hate to see this. A lot of people have already bred the survival nature out of their cattle. This just seems like a scoring system that will push that over the edge. This is one step closer to making cattle pets rather than livestock IMO.

Majority of livestock would not be able to survive without human care. They are not bison. I knew one guy that lived down a remote stretch of road, bordering swampland and let cattle fend for themselves for decades. Cows lived in 100's of acres of swamp forest in winter, living on whatever they could find. Fella lived in a tin shanty house. The few cows that did survive rarely raised a live calf, maybe one in 10. No outside genetics, so lots of heavy inbreeding. When they were rounded up and sold for slaughter, the mature cows and bulls weighed in around the 900 lb mark. They had all kind of survival instinct, buy they were worth about .25 on dollar because they were stunted and miserable. Feedlot buyers don't want high-strung cattle.

That being said, I much prefer to view cattle standing straight up rather than in a stretcher and neck brace.

I like walking around a group of cows that don't want to kill me but still move if I need them to... Some of ours are too tame and are like a brick wall when working them...

Aaron said:
Brute 23 said:
I kind of hate to see this. A lot of people have already bred the survival nature out of their cattle. This just seems like a scoring system that will push that over the edge. This is one step closer to making cattle pets rather than livestock IMO.

Majority of livestock would not be able to survive without human care. They are not bison. I knew one guy that lived down a remote stretch of road, bordering swampland and let cattle fend for themselves for decades. Cows lived in 100's of acres of swamp forest in winter, living on whatever they could find. Fella lived in a tin shanty house. The few cows that did survive rarely raised a live calf, maybe one in 10. No outside genetics, so lots of heavy inbreeding. When they were rounded up and sold for slaughter, the mature cows and bulls weighed in around the 900 lb mark. They had all kind of survival instinct, buy they were worth about .25 on dollar because they were stunted and miserable. Feedlot buyers don't want high-strung cattle.

That being said, I much prefer to view cattle standing straight up rather than in a stretcher and neck brace.

There is a difference between wild, borderline ferral cattle, vs domesticated livestock, vs pets.

I like some thing born with a little spunk and good instincts but is trainable.

Again, what feedlot buyers want vs what is profitable for producers is not always the same thing.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I find these breeds cropping up with a docility number pretty amusing. Limousin caught a crap for docility for years, but now every breed seems to be in need of a doc #.

When is Limmy going to add an EPD for how high of fence they can jump?

I had one that had an Jump EPD of +12 with an accuracy of 98%.

:lol: :hide:

sim.-ang.king said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

:lol: :hide:

Or even a stupidity epd. After having murray grey, which were so smart they even had clairvoyant tendency, i expected my red polls to work out how to get around. So if i open a gate and they are behind it i expected they would figure out how to walk around it and not stand there calling out and acting like flamin drongos!

I now pay very little attention to the DOC on the EPD's (Angus bulls). Bought a bull at a big auction probably 5 years ago that had stellar EPD's, including DOC. He loaded hot on the trailer and I was always on guard around him. Immediately sold him after he went after my husband; private treaty sale to a large operation that does everything on horseback & dogs, they still have him. That said, I kept 3 of his heifers that are incredibly docile (just had their 3rd calves) and I credit their mamas and the environment in which they were raised. Yes, I pet my cows & they are all hand feeders but won't hesitate to pop 'em in the nose if they don't respect my personal space.

[/quote]

I don't know Queenie, but when they do it will be about as worthless as the doc #.

Red Bull Breeder said:

I don't know Queenie, but when they do it will be about as worthless as the doc #.
[/quote]

Lmao

The epd number never helped the breed any. Breeders cutting the balls off idiot bulls and heads off idiot heifers is how it was fixed In the limousin breed. That's the only way it will be fixed in any breed.

Red Bull Breeder said:
The epd number never helped the breed any. Breeders cutting the balls off idiot bulls and heads off idiot heifers is how it was fixed In the limousin breed. That's the only way it will be fixed in any breed.

Sadly when a name or select epd gets attached, people stop seeing some flaws that need to be culled.

Looks like from what I've seen in animals, It would be hard to breed out, the protective instinct, against potential predators in cattle...its built in.

2 legs good, 4 legs bad.. that's all I ask for my cows to recognize..
I have one that is protective of her calf but perfectly docile to me, she's 1/4 Salers... Salers certainly give Limos a run for their money on fence jumping. It's kinda funny, I've had a number of Salers, and yes, they can certainly be flighty, etc, but my MOST docile animals have a fair bit of Saler in them too.

I find many shorthorns are psychotic at calving time, just totally lose their marbles, aggressive, protective and unpredictable.. 2 days later they want their tail scratched again.

Latest posts