Docility.

Help Support CattleToday:

The ones which showed their brightest colours at the calving time were Angusx here. Not the best situation when you have a cow in the pen, which can't calve a calf herself and you want to help her, but she keeps you her target...
I believe we have a tame herd. Can give a scratch to all, except one cow, and usually have no trouble tagging calves. However, they are protective moms and have no trust in other people. Charge all animals walking closer to the herd- foxes, cats...
I don't want them to be chasing me in the field at the calving time... Not worth to have aggressive cows. They need to know that owner isn't a threat. That is a very important thing in those operations, where people have a close contact with animals every day.

You must be dealing with old genetics because there's been a huge improvement in the attitude of Limousin cattle.

Son of Butch said:
Rendell said:
You must be dealing with old genetics because there's been a huge improvement in the attitude of Limousin cattle.
You base your statement on what scale or measurement?

According to IGS Limousin is number 1 in docility in the IGS co-op breeds Butch.

I use a lot of old bulls very seldom have a problem, and the few I have had are a easy fix.

Had some cows from old french limousine bulls. Cows themselves were easy to handle, however one would become very nervous if you put her in a pen. No threat to the people, but she would hurt other cows in the pen.
The docility problem showed up in their calves most of the time. Have used another old limousine bull on one once. The calf was docile until we needed to load him into the trailer... He was ready to kill all people around.
Have been using limousine bulls for some years now, but they were young bulls, with younger genetics. No such docility problems so far. But can say that there are less friendly calves before weaning than of some other breeds.

Silver said:
I'd be interested in an ear tag retention epd.
It goes hand in hand with the $FenceMaintenanceCost EPD... the ones that always stick their head through the fence rip the tag out when they pull their head out.

According to IGS Limousin is number 1 in docility in the IGS co-op breeds Butch.

I use a lot of old bulls very seldom have a problem, and the few I have had are a easy fix.
Saw this ad in a sale catalog. Must be what it's referring to.

Attachments

• limo_docility.JPG
    limo_docility.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
My experience with Limos is they're hypersensitive.. you do so much as scold them and they're freaked out for a week, they don't handle pressure... small sample size from me but that's what I found

Some of my homeraised boys
20210718_104023 chin scratches.jpg20190906_095032.jpg

Latest posts