docility of the bull causing his calves to not be aggresive nursers

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy said:
W.B. said:
greybeard said:
I'd rather think it more on the momma being the dummy....not being able, caring, or knowing how to direct the calves to the spigot.

That was not my experience. Ten year old cows that never were in a barn in their life suddenly forgot how to mother a calf? Udders were not the problem either.

Bovine dementia setting in at 10 on the dot, you did not know this ? :D

On a serious note, does this mean you have the nutrition down pat so it is ruled out ?

I am interested to read the few breeds that commonly produce dud calves that someone else mentioned....

http://www.brahman.com.au/technical_information/general/poorSuckingReflex.html

It would have been nice if they had included the source of this:
Studies (USA) suggest that as much as 30% of post partum sucking problems are due to the lack of an instinctive ability to suck which if unattended leads to death

Otherwise, a good read!

greybeard said:
It would have been nice if they had included the source of this:
Studies (USA) suggest that as much as 30% of post partum sucking problems are due to the lack of an instinctive ability to suck which if unattended leads to death

Otherwise, a good read!

That is a huge number. Hard to believe. There are numerous reasons for a calf not to suck - too cold - too weak - born in too confusing setting (lots of different cows calving in tight confinement) - lack of Selenium - long labor, etc.
Ooohhh Just re-read - 30% of problem suckers are due to lack of instinct. OK, guess I will agree with that. Helps if you read properly.

With the calving problems, and if true, the sucking problems, maybe they are too domesticated ? Or animals kept that should not be bred with rather ?