docility of the bull causing his calves to not be aggresive nursers

Help Support CattleToday:

bruns

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had the experience of a very docile bull throwing calves that are not very bright about nursing. I just started using a very docile bull and his first 5 calves gave me 4 bottle babies. They all want to suck the brisket and then when frustrated by that they lay down. I tried to get them to suck the teat and one calf would only suck the rubber nipple of the bottle. One calf that we got on her mother never nursed again on the teat and prefers the bottle. I wonder if the docility travels to the calf and they lose their survival instinct.

I won't have anything but a docile bull. There's always a couple calves that just don't "get it" at first but mama teaches them, including first calf heifers. I've only had to intervene a couple times & that's generally when mama's teats are huge. Bottle babies are fun for about a week. I'd get mama in the chute & teach the calves how to nurse.

The docility of the sire is unrelated to nursing behavior.

Nursing behavior is a function of having healthy vigorous calves. A strong healthy calf is always going to be vigorous at nursing. I would consider your nutrition management as a possible cause if this is not an isolated case.

Used an AI bull that sired calves like that. Only once! Threw out the rest of the semen and now avoid that breed like the plague.

pdfangus said:
I don't think it has anything to do with the bulls disposition....

I agree.. the last 3 bulls I have ran with the herd have all ranked top 5% for Docility and I have never had this issue

Calf Vigor correlating with Docility... never heard of it and very doubtful.

IF you're going to try to blame the bull and not a mineral deficiency, (selenium, copper, zinc)
calf vigor impeded by cow stamina during long slow birthing due to excess birth weight would seem
more likely. But cow stamina is also influenced by nutrition.

Son of Butch said:

IF you're going to try to blame the bull and not a mineral deficiency, (selenium, copper, zinc)
calf vigor impeded by cow stamina during long slow birthing due to excess birth weight would seem

Only time I ever seen a storm like he is described had been feed related to nitrates. I would have to dig in my data several breeds are more susceptible than others.
"However, a common cause for the weak "dummy calf" is a condition known as acidosis."

130ish pound calf froma small cow.. he's doing fine... I would think a nutritional problem would be highest on my list of culprits as well

Ebenezer said:
Used an AI bull that sired calves like that. Only once! Threw out the rest of the semen and now avoid that breed like the plague.

I agree.There are is a breed or two that are known to sire deadheads that won't nurse on their own.

I'd rather think it more on the momma being the dummy....not being able, caring, or knowing how to direct the calves to the spigot.

greybeard said:
I'd rather think it more on the momma being the dummy....not being able, caring, or knowing how to direct the calves to the spigot.

That was not my experience. Ten year old cows that never were in a barn in their life suddenly forgot how to mother a calf? Udders were not the problem either.

Son of Butch said:

Homerun right here. We started supplementing with Selenium (home is in selenium deficient soil) and the calf crop this year is the most active, aggressive pursuers of udder we have ever had. Remarkable difference.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Are you experienced having calves? Are you intervening too soon?

4 out of 5. I don't see how this couldn't be the answer

W.B. said:
greybeard said:

That was not my experience. Ten year old cows that never were in a barn in their life suddenly forgot how to mother a calf? Udders were not the problem either.

Bovine dementia setting in at 10 on the dot, you did not know this ? :D

On a serious note, does this mean you have the nutrition down pat so it is ruled out ?

I am interested to read the few breeds that commonly produce dud calves that someone else mentioned....

Latest posts