Do you use Bo Se?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
Just wondering when to use Bo Se? Have seen it used for newborns, but don't know if it's okay to use for new acquired calves from the sale barn when I don't know the vacination record. Would it ever need to be given again after the initial dose? Any side effects or age restrictions? Sorry, probably a dumb question, but thought you all would know.

BO-SE®

Rx

Schering-Plough

(SELENIUM, VITAMIN E)

Injection

FOR VETERINARY USE ONLY

CAUTION Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

DESCRIPTION BO-SE (selenium, vitamin E) is an emulsion of selenium-tocopherol for the prevention and treatment of white muscle disease (Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency) syndrome in calves, lambs, and ewes, and as an aid in the prevention and treatment of Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency in sows and weanling pigs. Each mL contains: 2.19 mg sodium selenite (equivalent to 1 mg selenium), 50 mg (68 USP units) vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), 250 mg polysorbate 80, 2% benzyl alcohol (preservative), water for injection q.s. Sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid may be added to adjust pH.

PHARMACOLOGY It has been demonstrated that selenium and tocopherol exert physiological effects and that these effects are intertwined with sulfur metabolism. Additionally, tocopherol appears to have a significant role in the oxidation process, thus suggesting an interrelationship between selenium and tocopherol in overcoming sulfur-induced depletion and restoring normal metabolism. Although oral ingestion of adequate amounts of selenium and tocopherol would seemingly restore normal metabolism, it is apparent that the presence of sulfur and perhaps other factors interfere during the digestive process with the proper utilization of selenium and tocopherol. When selenium and tocopherol are injected, they bypass the digestive process and exert their full metabolic effects promptly on cell metabolism. Anti-inflammatory action has been demonstrated by selenium-tocopherol in the Selye Pouch Technique and experimentally induced polyarthritis study in rats.

INDICATIONS BO-SE (selenium, vitamin E) is recommended for the prevention and treatment of white muscle disease (Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency) syndrome in calves, lambs, and ewes. Clinical signs are: Stiffness and lameness, diarrhea and unthriftiness, pulmonary distress and/or cardiac arrest. In sows and weanling pigs, as an aid in the prevention and treatment of diseases associated with Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency such as hepatic necrosis, mulberry heart disease, and white muscle disease. Where known deficiencies of selenium and/or vitamin E exist, it is advisable, from the prevention and control standpoint, to inject the sow during the last week of pregnancy.

CONTRAINDICATIONS DO NOT USE IN PREGNANT EWES. Deaths and abortions have been reported in pregnant ewes injected with this product.

WARNINGS Anaphylactoid reactions, some of which have been fatal, have been reported in animals administered BO-SE Injection. Signs include excitement, sweating, trembling, ataxia, respiratory distress and cardiac dysfunction.

Discontinue use 30 days before the treated calves are slaughtered for human consumption. Discontinue use 14 days before the treated lambs, ewes, sows and pigs are slaughtered for human consumption. Selenium-Vitamin E preparations can be toxic when improperly administered.

PRECAUTIONS Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency (STD) syndrome produces a variety and complexity of symptoms often interfering with a proper diagnosis. Even in selenium deficient areas there are other disease conditions which produce similar clinical signs. It is imperative that all these conditions be carefully considered prior to the treatment of STD syndrome. Serum selenium levels, elevated SGOT, and creatine serum levels may serve as aids in arriving at a diagnosis of STD, when associated with other indices. Selenium is toxic if administered in excess. A fixed dose schedule is therefore important (read the package insert for each selenium-tocopherol product carefully before using).

Important Use only the selenium-tocopherol product recommended for each species. Each formulation is designed for the species indicated to produce the maximum efficacy and safety.

ADVERSE REACTIONS Reactions, including acute respiratory distress, frothing from the nose and mouth, bloating, severe depression, abortions and deaths have occurred in pregnant ewes. No known treatment exists because at this time the cause of the reaction is unknown.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION Inject subcutaneously or intramuscularly.

Calves: 2.5-3.75 mL per 100 pounds of body weight depending on the severity of the condition and the geographical area. Lambs 2 weeks of age and older: 1 mL per 40 pounds of body weight (minimum, 1 mL). Ewes: 2.5 mL per 100 pounds of body weight.

Sows: 1 mL per 40 pounds of body weight. Weanling pigs: 1 mL per 40 pounds of body weight (minimum 1 mL). Not for use in newborn pigs.

STORAGE Store between 2° and 30°C (36° and 86°F). Protect from freezing.

HOW SUPPLIED 100 mL sterile, multiple dose vial, NDC 0061-0807-05.

NADA #12-635, Approved by FDA.

October 1998

Copyright © 1985, 1996, 1998, Schering-Plough Animal Health Corp., Union, NJ 07083.

Made in Germany.

USA006541INV

US 3493

F-22232401

B-22232401
------------------------------------------------------
What would I do without Google??

Thanks for the post. I have read the label, but still don't know if it is okay to give a sale barn calf if I don't know it it's had Bo se before or not.

Bo-Se is a combination of Selenium and Vitamin E. Not a vaccination; it's a mineral/vitamin shot. It's usually used to prevent/treat "white muscle disease" aka selenium deficiency (sp) in calves. The similar shot - MuSe - is the same thing but higher selenium levels. That one is for mature animals only.

Side effects. The main one is that a selenium overdose will kill your animal.

If I remember right - I would have to check the label though - it has a 35 day slaughter withdrawal. No age restrictions.

I use it on anything that looks "shaky" - with caution, of course. Calves that don't look well, don't act right, or are just getting over scours. Some areas have high selenium levels in the soil and so you wouldn't want to use BoSe. Others, like my area (not sure about yours; you're on the other side of the state) are very deficient and so you'd hit everything with BoSe.

I don't usually use it on larger animals (note-if I gave a selenium shot to an adult animal it would be MuSe, not BoSe) esp not if they look fine. No need to risk an overdose.

I wouldn't use it on "everything", just on ones that look like they need vitamins/minerals or you know are deficient/from an area with a low selenium soil content. If in question, I wouldn't give it.

pdoramus":3k3a4yv6 said:
Thanks for the post. I have read the label, but still don't know if it is okay to give a sale barn calf if I don't know it it's had Bo se before or not.

Its hard to tell. Selenium is toxic if administered in excess so I would be careful. I doubt he has been treated for it been it is a "sale barn" calf but like I said hard to tell. If you have paperwork from the sale barn I would attempt to contact the pervious owner and inquire him if he uses Bo-Se on his calves prior to sale. Its a shot in the dark.

Hope you can find something out.

Thanks for the replys. That helps. Would the county extension office be able to tell me the selenium levels in the soil around here?

pdoramus":r2b2hs3q said:
Thanks for the replys. That helps. Would the county extension office be able to tell me the selenium levels in the soil around here?

Should be able to, another option would be to talk to your vet.

Be darn careful where you inject it (huge understatement) in your livestock!

I lost three otherwise healthy calves on branding day a few years back due to one member of my ground crew not paying attention to where she was giving the shot.

She gave it too close to the jugular vein on three of my calves, and within an hour of being injected, all three calves were dead - after laying prone and kicking at themselves for that period of time.

Neither a pretty picture nor profitable outcome to what should have been an trouble-free and enjoyable day.

If it's injected directly into the jugular vein the animal will drop dead (or so my vet informed me after I called him to try and figure out what went wrong with those calves).

The only reason we inject them at all is because we live in a very selenium deficient soil area, as a preventative to White Muscle disease. Same as we vaccinate against Blackleg, a precautionary measure.

Take care.

that's great to know, but what side of the neck is the juglar?

Actually it's on both sides of the neck. If you look at your cows you will notice a groove that runs from beneath their jaw down to their brisket on the lower part of their neck - that's the jugular groove and that's were the jugular vein is located.

Howdy,

You ask a good question, but, I would suggest you ask your extension agent and local vet. The vet that gave you the prescription for the Bo-Se. :) Your vet could give you a better determination for you.

Here's an old map showing selenium deficient areas in the US and Canada. It is almost 40 years old, and doesn't include areas identified recently.

seleniummap2.gif

Latest posts