Do you lease your land to hunters?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
As I look back in my lifetime I probable could have made from 50 to 100 thousand dollars from leasing my land to hunters and fishermen. I do not regret the decision of , not to lease because I do not like dealing with strangers and having them on my property. I live on my property and I like my privacy. I do not let friends hunt or fish to avoid any problems they would create. Only immediate family is allowed on my place . Am I being selfish by not sharing with others, how do you feel toward others besides family being on you land? :cboy:

I lease mine out. It's very out of character for me to do it actually. Years ago, I hunted. I somehow lost interest in it. Got to where when people asked,I d say sure Coke on. I don't hunt anyway. Nobody seemed as appreciative as I thought they should be. Some would leave a mess, some would kill over the limit, some would bring friends that would eventually show back up by themselves. I honestly can't remember anybody ever thanking me.

I started mostly as a way to stop the mooches. If anybody asked, I could just say it was leased. It's interesting, that you mentioned the money total. The amount that I get per year, is defanatly something I can live with out. I made the decision to never spend mine, and save it. It has actually grown in to a tidy little sum.

The guys I have now a great. I actually consider them friends. They are from miles and miles away. They come in for a few days during gun season, and never bother a thing while they are here.

We lease some of our land to hunters. And I also sell hunts and guide hunters. We make more money off the deer hunters than the cattle.

Because of parents passing away early in life, I could have been leasing for 50 years. @ $1000 a year average = $50,000 minimum , if I had know this amount when I was young I may have done differently. It has just dawned on me as I write this how much I have lost. O Well you can't go back in time. :dunce:

I don't lease, I let my usual group on for free. They throw a few little financial extras my way, but I never ask for it. They are a good bunch and do a good job baiting and killing the white-tail vermin around here. I help with scouting out spots while haying during the summer and they ended up getting 6 this year. My only rule is they can't be choosey. If you go without filling your tag, I don't want you back. The younger guys are the worst for this and will pass over small bucks waiting for bigger ones. Older guys are good, they kill anything they can tag, and are more interested in quality, so they take the fawns.

I know many neighbor's around me lease out 1/4 section parcels (160 acres) for $1000 per season, but I also know the low-life hunters that pay it.

This was the first year I did. Owners of adjoining property made me a ridiculous offer..thought about it for a few days and just couldn't pass up the financial opportunity. I love to hunt, but the money was too good to pass on. Had a solid hunting lease drawn up. They have expressed interest in leasing it each year too....so far, so good. Pretty happy I did it.

I wouldn't even consider leasing for hunting. Seen how these guys act and what they can do to the place and the wildlife. I'll just keep it as a good place to come to the feeder without worrying about being shot. Folks around here that do lease though get over $2000 per gun per year.

Been asked by several to lease mine, did not like the thought of someone I didn't know being around. Had always let a neighbor bring his son over hunting years ago, as the kid got older his dad hunted less and less be he got more into it. He is a good kid, well I still call him a kid but he is 26 or 27 now, he found out I let one guy take his grandson turkey hunting and said something to his grandfather. His grandfather was one of my best neighbors/friends before he passed away, he told him that several were asking me to lease. So he came to me about leasing it, really didn't want to charge him but wanted some money to change hands so I could just say it was leased. Told him one dollar and some meat, so one day he shows up and gives my wife some smoked turkey and a $100 bill. I have always gotten the $100 and meat most years but marriage, work and life has really slowed his hunting down. Not sure if he actual hunted at all here this year, he put out some corn but never saw him during season. Would trust this guy with anything and he would come help me with anything I needed. I can also hunt if I want to and I know he won't bring anyone besides his wife. Around here most people around here say $10 acre is what most pay, so I give up some money but I know who I got.

Pretty much leased to curb trespassers. It works great. Just know that your typical farm insurance does not cover hunting. Money is not a reason but you ought to charge enough to pay for the extra in insurance and be sure the group has their own policy, too. I just hope they kill a lot of deer. For me, it was either don't know who is hunting on your property or know who is hunting on your property.

I have tried for several years to get my husband to lease some of his land to hunters. I believe it would be a good thing to do. Mine is all in pastures, crop land, and pine trees, but he has some that would be perfect to lease. Maybe he will listen sometime. He doesn't hunt anymore.

We lease to a Guide here in Oregon. He pays one set fee for a Columbia White Tail hunt, plus additional for several Black Tail hunts, and $100 per bird for Turkeys. I originally did not want to lease, but we were getting overrun with the Turkeys, so when I was offered $100 per bird to reduce the population, it seemed like a win-win. From there the rest of the hunts evolved. We receive between $4000 and $5000 per year and seldom even know they were here. If they mention where they are hunting, I avoid that area, but the Guide always says it is completely unnecessary to change our day to accommodate hunters. He says to just go about our day and the hunters will adjust to our activities. The best part of it is, I now have a good excuse when we get requests from neighbors and even complete strangers who want to come in and hunt for free. I have given up being over-run by dozens of sometimes rude and inconsiderate hunters who give me nothing in return, in exchange for a very small number of highly skilled, considerate hunters who act thankful for the right to pay thousands to hunt here. The Guide takes on all liability and usually has only one (occasionally two) hunters on 1000 acres at any one time. He is on the property for a total of about 10 to 15 days each year with 4 to 6 different hunters and he lets us know ahead of time when he will be here. He receives anywhere from $1000 to $7000 for each hunt, so he makes good money at it, but he also feeds, houses and entertains them. He has leases on a number of area ranches.

We also own about 450 acres in Minnesota. Several hundred acres are leased as crop land. There are about 250 acres of woods, ponds, and creeks. Excellent habitat for Turkey and Deer. I would love to find someone back there to lease that place.

hillbilly beef man":2xuqb63v said:
Most folks take better care of something when it costs them money.

You never rented out a house you owned I take it :lol2: I think taking care of something is not because you spend money because people spend lots of money but dont take care of stuff... I think if you were brought up to take care of stuff no matter the cost associated or not you will do it. I let my friends hunt our family farms some and they ask and I dont charge a dime but I only let them come a few times a year. I would never lease my land to hunters because my lands for my personal use and fun as well as anyone I invite. I could make a ton of money here leasing land to folks but my families enjoyment means more to me than the money I could get.

I'm on the other end of the stick and I will tell you it is difficult at least in Middle Tennessee to find land to lease. I have been leasing in Kentucky but cancelled out for 2016 because it was too far to drive to hunt weekends. I was only going for one week per year. Add lease fee, hotel, fuel, food, out of state license fees and it got pretty steep for 5 days of hunting. I have been looking for land nearby in Tennessee with good quality hunting to lease but I run into the same problems. 1) Some a-hole slob hunter before I asked about leasing didn't respect the land, landowner, livestock, property or the wildlife and now the landowner is leery hunters. of. 2) It is already leased. 3) Landowner wants to lease to me but also wants to allow his friends, family, co-workers to hunt it which is his right but ruins the solitude and the hunting for me. Not worth paying for. 4) Landowner wants to charge an outrageous fee for small acreage.

I am probably the landowners dream hunter to lease to. I know and respect livestock, equipment, fences, follow the rules, hunt ethically, leave gates how I found them, park where I am directed and call ahead if I am going to hunt. I take extra legal does when asked to reduce the population and I even share the bounty if the landowner likes wild game meat. It is hard to convince the landowners that have been burned that there are some good guys left out there. I understand and I don't try pushing them at all. I got burned by some coon hunters myself.

skyhightree1":hwcmjxnv said:
Bigfoot":hwcmjxnv said:
Interesting that many of us lease to have an excuse when people ask.

No excuses are needed when you own something. Your sand box your rules.. Maybe im just an A.H.

Naw, your right. It's just so hard to say to family and friends. It gives you a legitimate excuse, when they ask. Plus, if your not going to hunt your property yourself, but somebody is going to hunt it. You might as well have something to show for it.

I have hunters coming in before and after New years. The first 2 are father and daughter and the next 3 are father and 2 sons and we treat them as family. This will be their 12th and 7th year respectively hunting with us. We lease our land for $15.00 per acre yearly, but I make more selling hunts than leasing by the year.
I have no problem telling someone that they can't hunt. And I've told a few don't bother calling because your not coming back. There's some people I just can't get along with.

Latest posts