Do you lease your land to hunters?

Help Support CattleToday:

I like my hunters too much to get rid of them. Not sure I'd say their like family, but they are great people. The kind you don't really see much anymore. No doubt that I could sell hunts, and do much better. I'm going to stick with them as long as they last. I call myself saving the money for the kids college. I guess I should try to maximize it.

Nobody leases land for deer hunting here. Some duck hunting. But most will let you hunt ducks if you ask. Well some of the big timber companies have started leasing just in the last couple of years. Near me $225 will get you the rights to hunt several hundred thousand acres plus they allow you to cut four cords of firewood out of slash piles. My boys buy that permit then cut and sell enough firewood to pay for their permit, hunting license, and gas.

The timber company whose ground I hunt elk on doesn't charge. A company rep told me that the hunters who hunt their land respect it so they are going to continue to respect the hunters and not charge them. The fact that you have to walk or ride a bike for miles sort of weeds out the undesirables.

I have 650 acres that I leased for the first time(last year) to two guys to hunt and ride there ATV's and it was a good experience. They pulled a trailer in and left it from 1 October thru 1 February and always called when they were coming up. Never left trash behind and never bothered the cattle or anything else. I did not lease this year even though they wanted to, but I felt I needed to get a better place built for them to put their trailer so I could still put the bulls in the spot they were in without tearing up their stuff. It sure beats all the people coming in and wanting to hunt and leaving trash behind. I think I will lease it out again in the future. One thing is to make sure you have insurance in case of an accident and have the hunters sign a waiver. I have heard of people getting in hot water over hunting accidents, so it's better to be safe than sorry (IMO).

Yep there is a fine line you have to walk if you allow folks to hunt your land because a good gesture can turn into a nightmare whether you charge or not.

Bigfoot":29k5um9u said:
I like my hunters too much to get rid of them. Not sure I'd say their like family, but they are great people. The kind you don't really see much anymore. No doubt that I could sell hunts, and do much better. I'm going to stick with them as long as they last. I call myself saving the money for the kids college. I guess I should try to maximize it.
I don't either,for several reasons:
1/ Most of my hunters are family and /or long time friends who take care of the land and abide by my rules ,which aren't many.
2/Liability concerns.Va law pretty well protects you from liability when you allow recreation on your land if you don't make a profit from
the permit.I have often thought people who lease are taking a big risk. :2cents:

Latest posts