Do you know how they tell ya to build a fence only once, well?????

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
That right, I am rebuilding my fence and have a few questions so I am not in this situation again. First question
1. If I use plain ss40 3 inch pipe for corners and bracing and set in concrete below frost line how long will it last or what problems will I have. I dont have a post pounder and no one around me has one even rental places why I am going with concrete. Located in nw ohio, clay, 12 inch auger.

2. do you for see any problems 3 inch steel post hanging a heavy(130lb) gate same set up concreteing in post?
3. Hoping FFS comments, would like to get a price on some field fence maybe posts from him.
4. termination posts. IS it better to start and stop from corner to corner? My thinking is it wouldnt put to much pressure as if you just rounded the corner causing the corner to pull out? Hope that one makes sense

I am looking for advice from anybody. Didnt wanna make it seem like I was looking just for Lukes opinion. So please anybody that has any experience with this please answer.

1: sched 40 3" set as described will outlast you I think
2: the 3" pipe will work fine to hang a gate on as long as that 3" pipe is part of a brace.
4: I think it is important to terminate your wire at a strain brace any time your fence changes direction.

The above are only my opinions and I stand to be corrected by the professionals.

Edit: I'm assuming you are making an 'H' brace of some type on these corners and not using a single pipe set in concrete.

Yup, what Silver said.

I was in a pinch one time for a fence and had some 3" or 4" pipe laying around so I set 1 pipe on the corners and took off with wire. I think they were 4' in the ground. Doug the hole with and auger, kicked enough dirt in to hold the post, put 1 bag concrete on top that, and filled the rest of the hole with dirt to the surface. I ended up with 4 wires pulled on that fence. Several years later I went back to pull the pipe so we could build a "real fence"... I had to dig them out with a backhoe. If I would have know that a head of time I would have left them.😂

You should be fine. We've only been driving post about 15 years. Before that we concreted everything. You just need to get things deep enough.
Don't use just a H . Use a H with a diagonal or a post with diagonal on shorter runs. Our rule is the half brace on runs under 100 ' . No worries stretching around corners as long as you get it tight. If you stretch around many you will have to use some gut stretching. Where you are located I suggest you contact Luke.
Besides materials he very likely can rent you a driver. Also depending on the size of your project it might pay to buy a entry level driver. And if no one around has one you can do some side work and pay for it and your fence.

I'd be happy to send you Luke's contact info.

4. termination posts. IS it better to start and stop from corner to corner? My thinking is it wouldnt put to much pressure as if you just rounded the corner causing the corner to pull out? Hope that one makes sense

Maybe I misunderstood, but do you mean you have a section of fence that you want to curve, and you want to do it without braces? If yes, then no it won't work. If your wire is tight the posts will always lean over with time.

I didnt make that very clear, after re reading I confused my self LOL. For example if you where to fence in a square. would it be better to start at corner #1 tie then end and tie termination knots at corner #2. Then start again at corner #2 then end at corner #3 , tie termination knot. then repeat.
so if you where fencing with a 12 wire woven fence you would actually tie 24 knots at each corner.

so heres the question, are your corners less likely to lean inward on the corners using this method than just going around corner #2,#3 and #4 and ending back at corner #1.

Rule of thumb [4me] Square all corners to insure a straight line pull. A gate post without a brace will eventually lean and/or break.
It violates a rule of physics to stretch around a curve and not expect to affect a reaction which would be to shorten the total distance
of the run thereby applying sideway pressure on your fence. If your neighbors never call to tell you your stock is out you should be ok.....

I didnt make that very clear, after re reading I confused my self LOL. For example if you where to fence in a square. would it be better to start at corner #1 tie then end and tie termination knots at corner #2. Then start again at corner #2 then end at corner #3 , tie termination knot. then repeat.
so if you where fencing with a 12 wire woven fence you would actually tie 24 knots at each corner.

so heres the question, are your corners less likely to lean inward on the corners using this method than just going around corner #2,#3 and #4 and ending back at corner #1.
We generally don't pull around more than one corner. But there is no difference in the strain either way.
Also once all line post are properly tied your fence won't get slack all the way down the line if damaged.. In fact you can usually pull it right back from the point of repair.

If your wondering how pulling wire effects your corners go stick a rod or tpost loosely in the ground or some where it will purposely give. Tie a rope to it and pull on the post. Which ever way it bends is where you need to put your bracing.

Put a rod in the ground and pull it to you with a rope. It will probably bend to you. That is where you need a brace.

Put it back and wrap the rope around the post and make a 90 deg corner. You stand on one side with one end of the rope and let another person stand on the other side with the other end of the rope and yall start pulling.

It's probably going to bend between yall at round 45 deg.😉 That's where a brace should be if you are going to wrap around a corner, not facing the two rope ends that are pulling against it.

Try it for yourself, dont take my word for it. You can get away with a lot of stuff in good ground, good deep posts, and even some of these high tensile wires help. Sand or ground that opens up 2" when it dries out will put any thing to the test.

Plan your stretch
If your wondering how pulling wire effects your corners go stick a rod or tpost loosely in the ground or some where it will purposely give. Tie a rope to it and pull on the post. Which ever way it bends is where you need to put your bracing.

Put a rod in the ground and pull it to you with a rope. It will probably bend to you. That is where you need a brace.

Put it back and wrap the rope around the post and make a 90 deg corner. You stand on one side with one end of the rope and let another person stand on the other side with the other end of the rope and yall start pulling.

It's probably going to bend between yall at round 45 deg.😉 That's where a brace should be if you are going to wrap around a corner, not facing the two rope ends that are pulling against it.

Try it for yourself, dont take my word for it. You can get away with a lot of stuff in good ground, good deep posts, and even some of these high tensile wires help. Sand or ground that opens up 2" when it dries out will put any thing to the test.
Now tie two ropes at the post and pull at 90 degree angles. Any difference in the way it leans???
Try it for yourself

No doubt they both exert force to the center but one does a lot more than the other. If your trying to save time by not terminating then go ahead and just put one H brace with a dead man at a 45 and skip the two facing each way.🤣 That will save a lot of time and money and actually do some thing.

Plus, you have to deal with trying to pull wire tight around a corner.

I don't care what some one wants to do on their own fence... but I cant reccomend it. Especially when you have invested all that so far in a new fence to short tieing off a couple wires just doesnt make sense to me.

... but again. Have at it if you choose.

No doubt they both exert force to the center but one does a lot more than the other. If your trying to save time by not terminating then go ahead and just put one H brace with a dead man at a 45 and skip the two facing each way.🤣 That will save a lot of time and money and actually do some thing.

Plus, you have to deal with trying to pull wire tight around a corner.

I don't care what some one wants to do on their own fence... but I cant reccomend it. Especially when you have invested all that so far in a new fence to short tieing off a couple wires just doesnt make sense to me.

... but again. Have at it if you choose.
Okeedoky brute you don't recommend it....this is kinda like wings on cattle guards are so big trucks can get in hub.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts