Do you 'drag' to 'teach' walking?

Help Support CattleToday:

dlwardell

Reaction score
I have heard that teaching a steer to walk by dragging them behind a ATV or tractor is the way to go AND the worst thing you can do - anybody have thoughts or opinions??

If you do that and they end up getting harmed while walking then they will avoid walking or following you because they associate walking with pain. i am totally against dragging animals. with mine it works to just put a halter on them and hold on for a while then drag them to a strong corner post until they stop fighting. mine were broke to lead in 3 days but once again DO NOT drag.

I think you have to look at the big picture.

If you are a MAJOR operation with 75-200 calves to break, are you really going to have enough time for the one on one it takes to break a calf the "gentle" way?

If you have 3 or 4 calves, I think it'd be best to use traditional methods (leading to water/feed, leaving halter on for a week, etc).

I agree with both of these posts. Do not drag them. If they are really hard to get to lead, buy a Big Jims Breaking halter. They say for breaking but it works to get a stubborn one to lead as well.

I have tried the method of dragging the steer behind the truck. Not a good idea, I hurt the animal. this calf was huge, around 900 lbs. when we bought him. My kids were 7 and 9 at the time. I was real carefull and I still hurt the animal. It took him four days to recover. We worked with him every day, 2 times a day and by the time we went to our fair he weighed 1758 lbs and 56 and 5/8 inches tall. He forgave us, thank god, and ended up being a doll of a giant. He took heavyweight champion and set all records on weight and height at our fair. To this day everyone at our fair still talks about snowball the gental giant.
So, be patient and use the tie up method. Do what the other people sugested. I did get that metal halter and never used it, not because I chose not to but because I did not now how to use it. Good luck and remember all good things are worth waiting for. This does apply to training steers.

Don't drag 'em. What's worked best for me has been just tying them... once they learn to respect the rope and learn how to release pressure (by moving forward) when they're tied, getting them to lead is a piece of cake.

CPL":1mt8xsp5 said:

If you are a MAJOR operation with 75-200 calves to break, are you really going to have enough time for the one on one it takes to break a calf the "gentle" way?

If you have 3 or 4 calves, I think it'd be best to use traditional methods (leading to water/feed, leaving halter on for a week, etc).
I agree that traditional methods are best, but we have drug as before - has never caused bodily harm to an animal but definetly does not get them to trust you.

*Cowgirl*":dzt7x7io said:
CPL":dzt7x7io said:

but definetly does not get them to trust you.

Yes, and that is why I believe 4-H kids have no business dragging their calf. But some one who usually weans, feeds, breaks and sells their calf crop- it will not affect as badly. Donkeys also work well.

CPL":2l7xrypn said:

If a person has that many to break, are they really going to have time to individually drag each animal with the tractor every day?

milkmaid":3vu39v1y said:
CPL":3vu39v1y said:

If a person has that many to break, are they really going to have time to individually drag each animal with the tractor every day?

Alot of your bigger name farms have multiple Farm Hands and tractors. I see it easily do-able.

CPL":33w8113a said:
milkmaid":33w8113a said:
CPL":33w8113a said:

Alot of your bigger name farms have multiple Farm Hands and tractors. I see it easily do-able.

I'm still thinkin' it'd take less people and less work without the tractor and dragging them, but then I haven't worked on a club calf farm or anything like it, so I wouldn't know for sure.

dlwardell":1r20m8iv said:
I have heard that teaching a steer to walk by dragging them behind a ATV or tractor is the way to go AND the worst thing you can do - anybody have thoughts or opinions??

A good cattleman will NEVER DRAG a calf behind a powered vehicle, no matter how many he needs to break.

AAOK":vkaobhg3 said:
A good cattleman will NEVER DRAG a calf behind a powered vehicle, no matter how many he needs to break.

When people hear drag they immediately think danger to the animal, etc. Thats human nature I think. But its not even close to what most people visualize. I've never used the tractor method, nor do I plan to- but I don't think its right to question their cattleman status because they do something you dont.

Colorado2008":1pgfn2du said:
I agree with both of these posts. Do not drag them. If they are really hard to get to lead, buy a Big Jims Breaking halter. They say for breaking but it works to get a stubborn one to lead as well.

What is that halter? Is it one like a chain halter and where do you find one?

Daisy452":3648poy8 said:
Colorado2008":3648poy8 said:

It is basically a metal halter. The nose piece is rolled steel (i guess that's what you'd call it) and the part that goes around the ears is chain. If it sounds harsh, you are right it is. But, the nose piece is made to attach a lead to the top of it and when you pull it puts a lot of pressure behind the ears and under the chin. Once they step forward it takes all that pressure off, more so than a rope halter with a ring in it would. You can buy them at Sullivans.

Colorado2008":qh0cgj1h said:
Daisy452":qh0cgj1h said:
Colorado2008":qh0cgj1h said:

It is basically a metal halter. The nose piece is rolled steel (i guess that's what you'd call it) and the part that goes around the ears is chain. If it sounds harsh, you are right it is. But, the nose piece is made to attach a lead to the top of it and when you pull it puts a lot of pressure behind the ears and under the chin. Once they step forward it takes all that pressure off, more so than a rope halter with a ring in it would. You can buy them at Sullivans.

Oh i have one silly me i call them a chain halter.

There are a lot of threads about dragging animals behind powered vehicles. I do not recommend DRAGGING any animal, however I don't see any harm in leading an animal behind a powered vehicle. There is a bar that hooks onto the three point that up to four calves, depending on size, can be tied to. Going SLOW, one person drives the tractor and one person encourages stubborn calves to walk. This usually is a smack on the rump with your HAND, not a stick etc. If a calf refused to walk or tries to lay down the tractor stops and the ground person encourages the calf, maybe twists it's tail. Dragging is inhumane, ill advised, and irresponsible, but you can safely teach a calf to lead. Case in point, a couple of years ago we had a pair of Shorty steers we wanted to halter break, after three days of being beat up, kicked, ran away from I tied them to the tractor bar and after one day, they were a dream. Then after they are broke to lead, this is a great way for them to continue to brush them up on their leading.

I have had good luck by tying the calf up in the front end of our 20 ft. gooseneck cattle trailer. I can ease the calf down the side to the back end for a drink twice a day. I feed in the front end. When the calf comes to a slight pull and does not try to break away, then he is ready to come off the trailer to a pen. Some calves break in a couple of days. I had one hammer head that took 10 days to give up and learn the routine. I learned this trick after I had hip replacement surgery and cannot take the jerking around of the old way.

We have been very successful breaking calves to lead using a tractor. NEVER do we DRAG a calf. We generally have them green broke to leading. We use two ropes one is tied to the tractor (with a slip knot) and the other is held by someone acting like they are leading. We go at idle speed in the lowest gear possible and then work up to a slow walking pace. AGAIN NEVER do we DRAG the animal. If they balk we just let them lean against the rope until THEY step forward. The person on the ground will hold their head up work their feet also.
We have had very gentle calves using this method. We have broken 1200+ animals to lead doing it this way. They get used to noise at the same time (rev the tractor and even take off the muffler once in awhile)
For the record we break our calves at weaning now but also use this method if we have a stubborn calf.
George

George Monk":267ddvkl said:
We have been very successful breaking calves to lead using a tractor. NEVER do we DRAG a calf. We generally have them green broke to leading. We use two ropes one is tied to the tractor (with a slip knot) and the other is held by someone acting like they are leading. We go at idle speed in the lowest gear possible and then work up to a slow walking pace. AGAIN NEVER do we DRAG the animal. If they balk we just let them lean against the rope until THEY step forward. The person on the ground will hold their head up work their feet also.
We have had very gentle calves using this method. We have broken 1200+ animals to lead doing it this way. They get used to noise at the same time (rev the tractor and even take off the muffler once in awhile)
For the record we break our calves at weaning now but also use this method if we have a stubborn calf.
George

I do the same think but with a truck

Latest posts