do we meddle too much

Help Support CattleToday:

they would be like the longhorns.with time only the strongest an fittest of a breed would survive.

dieselbeef":2d6v7xdl said:
managing aint meddliing...but im gonna stay at a holiday inn next week...
:lol2: :clap: See you there......all kidding aside, we feed, vaccinate, worm and breed. Everything else is pretty much up to the cow. I love to walk thru them and observe but that's about it. I want them relaxed and on their own as much as possible.

I find it funny that there are extremes on this board. Some just let the cattle be, round up the calves, sell them and start over. Others go to extremes the other way. I try to stay in the middle. Worm, vaccinate for the biggies, keep a more watchful eye when calving in bad weater which includes putting them in the shed if need be, supplement only when necessary. I like to watch the cattle graze and have them comfortable with me being around, but I let them do their thing for the most part.

All I do is vaccinate for black leg, bangs, and what ever the vet recommends for heifers I am keeping. Just grass hay in the winter, no cubes 97% of times. I do have rye and clover pasture so cows get protein from that most of time in winter. Put out trace mineral block for them all the time.
I do check cows when they are calving about twice a day. Most of problems I had lately is keeping a cow too long, always trying to get one or 2 more calves from a good cow. I have learned my lesson, will now sell cow when they get 15 years or before that if they are not 100%.

I prefer to think of it as over diligent on some folks part. We AI, vaccinate, worm and assist only if necesarry. I keep an eye out for potential problems but they rarely happen. (Now I'll probably be snakebit by that comment)
Benighn neglect is still our motto.

Brute 23":35y58k8w said:
Frankie":35y58k8w said:
I think we sometimes get in the way of nature. But cattle are domesticated animals.

Humans made them they way they are, not nature.

Blackleg would get an awful lot of them if we didn't vaccinate. Personally, I doubt if they'd survive many generations if humans weren't around to care for them.

Your wrong. :lol2:

For starters, not all cattle are domestic... there are ferral cattle right here in Texas.

No human has ever invented a cow. Nature made them. Humans just like jacking with them because they think they know more than nature. Lots of good genetics and instinct has been lost because of it too.

The cattle that people raise in a bubble would not last long... some of our cattle would just keep on truckin.
sure they would keep on trucking, but you would have too soak their meat too be palitable... it aint about that its about quality beef that the responsible cattleman supplies.... dam sometimes i wonder how or why some these threads make it as far as they do :lol:

like i said...managin aint meddlin.
makin yer herd healthy and safe to eat as well as quality aint meddlin. its managin.
palpatin yer cow and tryin to ''get it outta there'' is the kinda meddlin i was referring to...the i cant bring myself to eat it cuz its my baby menality is meddlin. that aint managing. its meddlin
lettin the cow live as a cow and keepin it healthy is managin. ai is managin...

and i mean no offense to anyone either way.

this thread just kinda came back to me after readin some stuff lately and thought it might be a good discussion to carry back

makin yer herd healthy and safe to eat as well as quality aint meddlin. its managin.
palpatin yer cow and tryin to ''get it outta there'' is the kinda meddlin i was referring to...the i cant bring myself to eat it cuz its my baby menality is meddlin. that aint managing. its meddlin

this thread just kinda came back to me after readin some stuff lately and thought it might be a good discussion to carry back

Brute 23":3rif6ym7 said:
ALACOWMAN":3rif6ym7 said:
maybe year's ago .. .. but folks don't want to have to tear their steak apart like a neaderthal nowday's

We eat all nothing but beef off our places... I have yet to tear into any of it. In fact it is by far better quality than what you buy at the store. It goes straight out the pasture, into the freezer. No feeding out before hand
  • ...and if I have to put a rope around its kneck and drag it while some one else it hot-shotting it so be it.,,,
Have never tasted a difference.
who in the hell is talking peta.. were talking about healthy animal's which won't marble worth a dam if stressed and wormy

Brute 23":mrdvw1ik said:
I guess I should say on this forum, forgive me.

This says that the way I am doing things is not up to par by your standards? Correct...
sure they would keep on trucking, but you would have too soak their meat too be palitable... it aint about that its about quality beef that the responsible cattleman supplies.... dam sometimes i wonder how or why some these threads make it as far as they do
ive obviously tapped into some one that not in touch with todays cattle industry .. dont have to be my standards

I said we vac, worm, and feed to keep them alive.... as did many others.
Brute 23":2vlwjvk5 said:
All we do is vac and worm, keep mineral out. Some times we feed them hay, but that is just to keep them alive. :)
You can spoil animals... ;-)

You are saying that is not enough, produces tough meat that is hard to eat, and is not up to the "cattle industry standards" that I am not in touch with. :???:

ALACOWMAN":2vlwjvk5 said:
Brute 23":2vlwjvk5 said:
The cattle that people raise in a bubble would not last long... some of our cattle would just keep on truckin.
sure they would keep on trucking, but you would have too soak their meat too be palitable... it aint about that its about quality beef that the responsible cattleman supplies.... dam sometimes i wonder how or why some these threads make it as far as they do :lol:

What am I missing?

I think we are trying to say the same thing but got crossed up on some thing that probably is not important. :|

dieselbeef":16k6eb87 said:

DB...was this a polite pot shot at me? And as for tasty beef we just had some fillet mignon MR (sp) for lunch. It came from a grass feed steer....mmmmm tasty

Latest posts