Reaction score
in the cows business.

doctorin
vitamins
feed
breedin
x-breedin
calfin

you all git the idea. just a thought dont kill me here!!. its not like theyre goin extinct and need the help. seems like alot of the time things are done that really might not need it...calfin worries for example. people tend to jump in way too early most of the time.

cows actually git along pretty well without a whole lotta help seems to me. i know mine do! im not saying neglected i mean just by nature

keeping cattle healthy and staying on top of potential problems means your a good herdsman not a meddler. one thing that ive learned with cattle . you dont ever take for granted or second guess. if your gut feeling tells you somethings not right you had better go with it, better safe and meddle than say thats the cattle business. cause there be plenty of times you can kick your own ass and say if i had of done this or that

I think a lot of people who are new to cattle think of them like dogs. They want to throw the animal in a box with a heat lamp and watch the birth happen so they can be standing by with oxygen ventilator in case there's a problem. Perhaps they are a bit overzealous, but I like to think they want to know the correct way to handle calving problems, as well as other cattle related problems.

In my experience, it isn't necessary to babysit cattle. A good cattleman knows his animals, knows what they need, knows when they need it, and plans accordingly.

There are a lot of seemingly stupid questions asked here but you have to remember, the person asking the question really doesn't know the answer.

dieselbeef":213y3o77 said:
in the cows business.

doctorin
vitamins
feed
breedin
x-breedin
calfin

you all git the idea. just a thought dont kill me here!!. its not like theyre goin extinct and need the help. seems like alot of the time things are done that really might not need it...calfin worries for example. people tend to jump in way too early most of the time.

cows actually git along pretty well without a whole lotta help seems to me. i know mine do! im not saying neglected i mean just by nature

A lot on this board treat them as pets or doctor for everthing.
I still live by put grass in front of the cow and a bull behind the cow.
If the cow can't stay fat and raise a good calf on my grass I changing the cow not the grass.
They have to do it on grass only here.
I do vac for bangs and blackleg.

I agree with all of the reply's so far. I don't baby our cows. The calf I saved the other day.... I had no choice, if I wouldn't have done what I did it would have died. It was raining and 29 degrees.
The only other cows I watch is the older ones or first time heifers. All the rest are out in the pasture doing their own thing. I know pretty much all of their due dates,and checking once in awhile, once they start calving. I do pay closer attention if the weather is real bad. I'm not going to set there all day watching and waiting. We give them a black leg shot and their bangs shot. They are wormed 2 times a year and thats about it.

Matt S":1qh26qok said:
I think a lot of people who are new to cattle think of them like dogs.
I think you are right Matt. AND a lot of people think of dogs and cats like people.

I saw a young lady walking her dog the other day and there was a blue large pad looking contraption strapped on it's back.
I asked about it and she said it was to keep her dog from getting cold.
I told her that she put that on her dog to keep it from getting cold but that she had on shorts and something about that didn't compute.

Its why alot of the animal rights people try to ruin breeders, hunters, and other good folks who know about animals. As most of us know, animals are just that.... animals.. nothing more.. nothing less.

I started early. I take my grandkids to the pasture. They love to see the calves. I give them a dose of reality. I have given every calf a name, Hamburger, Tbone, Sirloin, etc. I tell those kids what is to become of those calves.
I take a lot of flack from the rest of the family because or this, but the grandkids don't have a problem since we started this when they learned to walk.
My wife thinks I should be turned in to childrens protective services.

I vaccinate once a year, worm twice a year, and haul their calves off. Other than that they stay in fields and eat.

Caustic Burno":1240ankc said:
dieselbeef":1240ankc said:
in the cows business.

doctorin
vitamins
feed
breedin
x-breedin
calfin

If the cow can't stay fat and raise a good calf on my grass I changing the cow not the grass.

thats pretty much how its done here as well. the dog comparison is a good shot. maybe it just seems like people are messing with the cows business more than they are. likin the thoughts ive heard so far

Ryder":7cz3ba7z said:
Matt S":7cz3ba7z said:
I think a lot of people who are new to cattle think of them like dogs.
I think you are right Matt. AND a lot of people think of dogs and cats like people.

I saw a young lady walking her dog the other day and there was a blue large pad looking contraption strapped on it's back.
I asked about it and she said it was to keep her dog from getting cold.
I told her that she put that on her dog to keep it from getting cold but that she had on shorts and something about that didn't compute.

Ever see that dog whisperer show? 99% of his business is because people treat dogs like humans. People these days are so seperated from the real world.

I'm a former city boy- but I always figured that if ya give the animals what they need, they'll take care of themselves...and the more we mess withh them, the more chances that something's gonna go wrong.

In practise, I let my cows free-range. They calve in the woods and eat what they want. I just keep 'em supplied with water (and hay in the winter) and I have the healthiest, best-looking cows around.

Just give livestock the proper environment that they need, and they'll do the rest, and do it alot better than we can do it for them, because when we start messing with them, we don't help them, we harm them.

Caustic Burno":3na8cl9m said:
dieselbeef":3na8cl9m said:
in the cows business.

doctorin
vitamins
feed
breedin
x-breedin
calfin

Soooo, I take it neither one of you trim their hooves (sp) or eye brows??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thogught i might bring this up in lite if some of the readin here lately....just thinkin out loud some cows wuld be better off w/o us

even with my reg an stocker cows none lives out of a feed bucket.an we rarely have to pull a calf or dr a sick cow.because most times now the cow is old an to sick to make it.have dr some an they died.

I think we sometimes get in the way of nature. But cattle are domesticated animals. Humans made them they way they are, not nature. Blackleg would get an awful lot of them if we didn't vaccinate. Personally, I doubt if they'd survive many generations if humans weren't around to care for them.