DNA testing

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know that it will ever happen. EPD's represent potential. DNA represents potential. So I guess you would end up with potential of potential? :???: :lol:

The markers are there they just have to be found and idenifed. There have been alot of advances in this around the world. The US is way behind according to some people i have talked to. They can do tenderness, and marbleing, why not ever thing else.

Someday they may very likely replace EPDs. However, the first step will be marker assited EPD's, which will take into account an animal's DNA markers for the specific EPD trait. For example, MMI and Igenity have identified many markers for marbling. By calculating the DNA score along with the traditional EPDs will allow for much more accurate EPDs for young animals.

Red Bull Breeder, I really don't think that the US is behind in cattle DNA. All three of the major DNA companies (MMI, Igenity, and Bovigen) are active around the world. Igenity recently added many more markers to their profile, making the analysis for most of the traits that they analyze much more predictable. In addition to marbling and tenderness, they also have the following traits: Percent Choice, Yield Grade, carcass weight, back fat, ribeye area, heifer pregnancy rate, cow stayability, maternal calving ease, docility, residual feed intake and dry matter intake. Bovigen also has a test for feed efficiency, though they have only identified four or five markers so far.

So to tell what the genetic potential is of a given cow I would have to have her DNA tested? I don;t think so!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why EPDs work, everyone willing to register a cow/bull can get EPDs calculated

dun,

EPDs are great tools and they won't go away for a long time. However, there are a couple concerns that I have with EPDs:

1. Lack of accuracy of EPDs in breeds with relatively small populations (i.e. Saler, Braunvieh, Murray Grey).
2. Producers of purebred seedstock are expected to supply honest and accurate data to their breed associations, from which EPDs are created. However, a producer can submit "enhanced" or false data to the breed association to create better EPDs for an animal. Granted the breeds do have some computer tools that help them to identify data that looks too far out of whack, but this is far from a full proof method for identifying false records.

DNA is what it is. There is no need for contemporary groups. The only way to cheat the DNA system is to send in a hair or blood sample out of a genetically superior animal and identify it as another animal. However, parentage on that sample can then be run to confirm if the sample is truly from the animal listed on the sample container, assuming that DNA on one or both of the parents of the animal in question is also available.

I know of many people that do not keep records for EPD's. DNA testing is the only alternative. The association does not require it for Brahman.
However, parentage on that sample can then be run to confirm if the sample is truly from the animal listed on the sample container, assuming that DNA on one or both of the parents of the animal in question is also available.
If one AI's then a straw of semen can be used for testing for parentage. Well on the bull side anyway.

Luckily I'll be long dead before the requirement to do DNA testing (money out with no ROI) is required in place of calculating EPDs.

Red Bull Breeder":2982o0j5 said:
With all the new dna markers and more being found ever day how long will it be before DNA testing determines EPD'S .

Not long! I am waiting for DNA manipulaton so I can make a inefficient cow into an efficient cow, in as far as she passes her genes to the next calf generation. She will never know the difference, of course she will have a full belly more often, but she will just think she is aging. Her calves will never know the difference. I will know. There will be no need for EPDs or DNA markers as long as we can manipulate them.

Latest posts