Progeny Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
This calf won me a cup of coffee bet. I said the Charolais bull that sired the calf on the right had Brahman in the woodpile. The registration papers my cousin has say he is pure Charolais. A Charolais bull on an F1 Braford cow should produce a calf with hardly any Brahman phenotype. Instead, this bull calf looks pure Grey Brahman. Grey Brahman are too prepotent to hide in the woodpile...
WP_20151228_07_05_27_Pro.jpg

I would like a little more info JW. 1.What is the Charolais sires pedigree?
2. What happens when you breed him to Reg. Charolais cows?
3. What happens when you breed him to strait bred cattle without brahama influence?

I'm just curious if the sire is a Registered Charbray instead of a Charolais. The registrations both come from the Charolais Association. Some of those bulls will look like strait Charolais. If that was the case the calf would be getting genes from both sides of the pedigree for the Brahman influence.

I've seen calves out of angus cows ,char. Sired....that we're solid white.. How much hump is on her neck? can't see. Can't see the bull at all...

This is the second calf crop that you could tell one of the bulls had something in the woodpile. He produced a black bull calf that looks like a floppy eared Gyr and the mother is a black cow with maybe 1/16 Brahman. The birthweights were way over the other two bulls, too. We have some pure white calves from black cows, but most of them look like Char calves.

Alacowman I posted photos of those bulls a few times, they are on ranchers. The cow is your typical salebarn Braford that was in a group of old girls my cousin bought to get started. Not a lotta hump.but plenty ear and leather.

Not sure if you are bragging or complaining here JW. My cousin had a big enough herd of pure Brimmer or Brahama cows before he died last year. He used to get about 55 cents on the dollar compared to everything else that went through our sale barn.That was his way of diverting money from a successful(off farm) business. The calf in your picture looks like it is pure Brahama. There are a lot of bulls in the 2016 Bovine Elite directory I just got in the mail that are white enough to sire a calf, that would look that color. The calfs make up looks Brahama as well. So, you used somebodys bull and are trying to prove it isnt any good because of the Brahama influence? Or happy for the Brahaman influence from your cows? Please give us a Reg. # for the bull that "has it in the wood pile". It has been rumored that some of the Charolais bulls from the frame race era had some Chianina in there. I know those bull lines and would like to see if your bull has those in there. Also maybe a picture of the "Wood Pile Bull"..

I know from dealing with Brahman..unless you know the lineage, predictability can be like a fart in a whirlwind...there use to be some guys go to the stockyard and buy up anything that looked like a f1 and put it in the Brahman/f1 special sale every year....they did put a stop to it..