DNA test and epds ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
New to registered cattle. Picked up some heavy bred registered angus cows. My buddy recommended I get a 50k dna test. Said ," It will change the epds and make the calves easier to sell." Is this correct? Does it affect/change the epds or is he wrong ? Thanks.

It increases the accuracy of epds whether it influences an epd to change depends on the animal's current epd and
whether the additional new information confirms those numbers or differs from them and by how much.

DNA test can hurt u as well as help.
Parentage will tell if the animal is what it's supposed to be, as long as at least SNP has been done on the parents.

A guy in my town is trying to sell puny little "resource heifers" for $2,500. I should have them tested ha ha.

This is a question I've had for awhile. I can send in a dna sample of a commercial calf and get a fairly accurate set of epds? I'd like to do this on a few of my home raised angus bulls.
If this is so, what do I need to do?

There is a test we offer from GeneSeek that test for 16 traits and also parentage, cost is $29 for hair or tissue

For anyone with purebred Angus, or animals of any breed we as the Composite Beef Cattle Registry offer our registration services.

cbcr":4qw1q6yw said:
There is a test we offer from GeneSeek that test for 16 traits and also parentage, cost is $29 for hair or tissue

For anyone with purebred Angus, or animals of any breed we as the Composite Beef Cattle Registry offer our registration services.

Who can I contact to get more information?

Anyone know what the Zoetis cost?

T & B farms":1uco062f said:
This is a question I've had for awhile. I can send in a dna sample of a commercial calf and get a fairly accurate set of epds? I'd like to do this on a few of my home raised angus bulls.
If this is so, what do I need to do?
You can EPD a commercial thru Zoetis. You'll take a blood sample (easier to do from ear) but can pull hair as well. I've never done that.

The zoetis will do a "global beef" tank to derive your EPD's. We did that with our commercial bulls and it really helped us sell. Cost vs value added is worth it.

Zoetis has a form you can fill out with your samples. They'll then send you the info back in an easy to understand document.

T & B farms":206eoggv said:
cbcr":206eoggv said:

Who can I contact to get more information?

Anyone know what the Zoetis cost?

The i50k is $37 I believe. Call your vet and see if you can get some blood cards if you're wanting to do this right away. Otherwise, Zoetis can send you some.

You can contact us Composite Beef Cattle Registry at [email protected] or give us a call at 816-738-4179

The GeneSeek test provides the info back on a 1 - 10 scale for 16 traits

Maternal: Birth Weight, Calving Ease Direct, Calving Ease Maternal, Stayability, Heifer Pregnancy, Docility, Milk
Performance: Residual Feed Intake, Average Daily Gain, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight
Carcass: Tenderness, Marbling, Ribeye Area, Fat Thickness, Hot Carcass Weight
Indexes: Production and Maternal indexes plus a Terminal index at online dashboard
Parentage: SeekSire™ parentage, a unique combination of Bos taurus, Bos indicus, USDA and ISAG parentage markers

On another comment, the blood, hair or tissue samples all yield the same result. GeneSeek is charging $5 more for those that send in hair samples. The reason for this is they are receiving too many samples that are not unusable because of missing follicles.