DNA Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

R.N.Reed

Reaction score
I am starting to get some customers asking about DNA testing.Are any of you using these tests in making breeding decisions? How about your customers? What are your thoughts on this pro or con.I would also be interested in what breed or breeds you are involved in as well.

R.N.Reed":12qd7dlc said:
I am starting to get some customers asking about DNA testing.Are any of you using these tests in making breeding decisions? How about your customers? What are your thoughts on this pro or con.I would also be interested in what breed or breeds you are involved in as well.

What type DNA tests? We use the parentage tests when a question arises and all bulls that are AI bred must have a DNA sample/profile on record.(But that's not a test.)
I personally don't think the other tests are quite reliable enough yet.........but can't hurt your bottom line if they turn out good and your customers are asking. Chars

Plus, I can't get my bulls to study for these tests. ;-)

In DeShazer's Online Herd Bull Sale, currently going on, they are listing each bulls' GeneStar quality grade, tenderness, and feed efficiency "scores".

Catalog here:

http://www.cattleinmotion.com/dcc/080200/

No doubt, once these genetic tests are proven reliable, they will play a much larger role in selecting breeding stock in the future.

George

All of the bulls/and/or semen that we use, and all our donor cows are tested by
Genestar. Most of our other purebred Murray Grey cows have also been
tested. Once you test most or at least your best in the cow herd, and know
what the bulls scores are, then by inheirtance, you can pretty well know
the calf's result. We have found that the tenderness genes are important
when we have seedstock buyers that are interested in producing beef
and selling it.

"The GeneSTAR Tenderness test identifies variants of the calpastatin gene, a naturally occurring enzyme that inhibits normal meat tenderization during post-harvest aging. Based upon Australian gene marker research, the GeneSTAR Tenderness test identifies two variations of the calpastatin gene - one associated with increased tenderness and the other associated with increased toughness. As with the marbling test, tenderness tested animals are identified as having two copies, one copy or no copies of the gene. Homozygous presence of the favorable calpastatin gene would indicate that these animals have a higher propensity to produce tender meat.

Using the DNA data

Once the DNA test results for a specific gene or traits are available for an animal, producers can then utilize that data to make selection and marketing decisions that fit their herd goals. For instance, by selecting animals with two copies of either the thyroglobulin or calpastatin gene - or both genes - producers could potentially increase the marbling and tenderness performance within future generations of their herd, said Willmon. Mating a bull and a cow that both have homozygous (2-star) ratings would pass on the desirable genes to 100 percent of their progeny.

Similarly, the Igenity L test can be used to make marketing and/or breeding decisions, according to Chad Jorgenson of Davis, Calif., and an independent sales representative with Igenity of Merial.

"The Igenity-L test identifies a specific DNA trait with 100 percent accuracy. Because it is an exact science, it is a good tool for producers to gather information on live animals and then make marketing and/or breeding decisions," he said.

For instance, he said that if producers are aiming for grid premiums they'd want to select sires and replacement females that are identified as L-tt genotype (those with higher genetic propensity for increased appetite and marbling). If their goal is to target lean yield programs, they'd want to select animals with the L-cc genotype.

But, although these DNA tests afford an exciting glimpse of future animal performance, the information they provide also comes with a dose of caution.

"We promote these DNA tests as one piece of information to use with the other selection tools available, such as ultrasound data or EPDs," said Willmon.

That caution is issued for several reasons. First, the thyroglobulin, calpastatin and leptin genes are each only one of the genes associated with marbling and tenderness respectively. Until the entire genetic code for cattle is mapped and other genes that impact these traits are identified, selecting for the presence of these individual genes is only a partial indicator of expected animal performance.

Secondly, no DNA test will ever guarantee the phenotypic expression of a desired trait - like marbling or tenderness in this case - any more than an EPD can. But it does allow producers to select and manage with a higher degree of accuracy."

If the "Heritibilty" of, take for instance, TENDERNESS, is 45%, and all of the DNA factors have not been identified FOR the Tenderness DNA TEST, then at best the offspring of cattle that test as Tender (or NOT Tough) is only 45% and at worst could be much lower.

NO MORE ACCURATE THAN AN EPD!!!!!!!!!

MikeC":1jx6wblq said:
"The GeneSTAR Tenderness test identifies variants of the calpastatin gene, a naturally occurring enzyme that inhibits normal meat tenderization during post-harvest aging. Based upon Australian gene marker research, the GeneSTAR Tenderness test identifies two variations of the calpastatin gene - one associated with increased tenderness and the other associated with increased toughness. As with the marbling test, tenderness tested animals are identified as having two copies, one copy or no copies of the gene. Homozygous presence of the favorable calpastatin gene would indicate that these animals have a higher propensity to produce tender meat.

Using the DNA data

Once the DNA test results for a specific gene or traits are available for an animal, producers can then utilize that data to make selection and marketing decisions that fit their herd goals. For instance, by selecting animals with two copies of either the thyroglobulin or calpastatin gene - or both genes - producers could potentially increase the marbling and tenderness performance within future generations of their herd, said Willmon. Mating a bull and a cow that both have homozygous (2-star) ratings would pass on the desirable genes to 100 percent of their progeny.

Similarly, the Igenity L test can be used to make marketing and/or breeding decisions, according to Chad Jorgenson of Davis, Calif., and an independent sales representative with Igenity of Merial.

"The Igenity-L test identifies a specific DNA trait with 100 percent accuracy. Because it is an exact science, it is a good tool for producers to gather information on live animals and then make marketing and/or breeding decisions," he said.

For instance, he said that if producers are aiming for grid premiums they'd want to select sires and replacement females that are identified as L-tt genotype (those with higher genetic propensity for increased appetite and marbling). If their goal is to target lean yield programs, they'd want to select animals with the L-cc genotype.

But, although these DNA tests afford an exciting glimpse of future animal performance, the information they provide also comes with a dose of caution.

"We promote these DNA tests as one piece of information to use with the other selection tools available, such as ultrasound data or EPDs," said Willmon.

That caution is issued for several reasons. First, the thyroglobulin, calpastatin and leptin genes are each only one of the genes associated with marbling and tenderness respectively. Until the entire genetic code for cattle is mapped and other genes that impact these traits are identified, selecting for the presence of these individual genes is only a partial indicator of expected animal performance.

Secondly, no DNA test will ever guarantee the phenotypic expression of a desired trait - like marbling or tenderness in this case - any more than an EPD can. But it does allow producers to select and manage with a higher degree of accuracy."

If the "Heritibilty" of, take for instance, TENDERNESS, is 45%, and all of the DNA factors have not been identified FOR the Tenderness DNA TEST, then at best the offspring of cattle that test as Tender (or NOT Tough) is only 45% and at worst could be much lower.

NO MORE ACCURATE THAN AN EPD!!!!!!!!!

----------------

Hi Mike C!
The "Willmon" person you quoted is probably Susan Willmon. She formerly
worked for GeneStar in their usa office in Colorado before the usa rights
were bought out by Bovigen, based in LA.

You did mention calpastatin in your note, and that DNA test was patented by
GeneStar. You didn't mention the two variations of calpain---which was
validated by MARC before it was put on the market.

It is likely that cattle producers that take their animals to the sale barn have
no use for DNA testing, and it would not be cost-effective. But for us it makes
sense in marketing, because people buying seedstock from us do inquire
about the DNA results---and because we think it is an advantage to at least
start off with beef animals that have a genetic propensity for tenderness----
and after that the management part of the tenderness is up to us & the
weather,etc. Our seedstock buyers are typically people who want to get
into direct marketing; or those already doing it and wanting an up-front
genetic advantage.

Concerning "heritibility" of the DNA factors - if the bull and the cow have the
exact same DNA score for the presently known tenderness genes----then their
offspring will also have that same exact test result (100% of the time). When
the cow and bull have different scores, then you get into all sorts of possible
combinations in the calf.

But again, it probably is not cost-effective for most producers if they simply
sell at the auction barn.

Much more accurate than an EPD--- Most of the people we sell bulls too want to know about homozygous black and polled for PB Simmental as they seem to sell better when that data is available. As far as heifers go this too is important because more and more people are interseted in cow famlies. Other reasons to do it include carcass merits which cannot be done solely by the use of EPD's-- therefore DNA testing is a better overall analysis.

Check this out------ http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.as ... tid=187735

Sim

I am doing DNA testing on my Brahmans. Although I agree with OK Jeannie on the heritability of the tenderness gene I have found that there are also other contributing factors affecting tenderness. One being temperament and the other is handling.
Genestar in Aus. has identified a gene marker for temperament that is not currently available. As far as handling, no whips, no clubs, no hot-shots.

MikeC is correct about the fact that EPD's are as reliable as DNA on the CARCASS data, so far. I'm sure DNA info will get more reliable.
We use DNA testing for Black, and have used it for Polled & Parentage. We use Igenity. For the same price of the Black test, they do the whole carcass/tenderness testing also and the results are given with a 1-10 score.
Edit - Simmental cattle

Mike C: Do the breed associations have EPDs for
tenderness---or is it marbling??

OK Jeanne":2d7iwgwj said:
Mike C: Do the breed associations have EPDs for
tenderness---or is it marbling??

There are some breeds that have Tenderness EPD's.

They are measured/enumerated in Pounds of Warner-Bratzler Shear Force which would make the higher number less desirable.

I would personally never try to use Tenderness as a selling point unless I had actually had "W-B" measurements taken on my cattle, which I have in a complete carcass feedout test, to assure the genetics I am marketing is correct. Even then, I have not.

My breed association does not have Tenderness EPD's at this point, but we know which bloodlines are more susceptible to those genetics through "W-B" analysis which does not necessarily coincide with the DNA Tenderness tests available. There are many DNA markers unknown to date.

Plus, there are many, many variables in environments and feeding programs all the way through meat handling that have a great impact on Tenderness.

To say an animal has more propensity to be tender than another is relative. There are some cattle that might have "Tough" meat that could be tender if properly fed, cared for, and processed with more attention to detail than normal commodity beef.

Until the camera grading and tenderness technology is perfected, I'm staying away from tenderness marketing so that I won't be made a fool of when the actual science is down pat.

I do, however, think that Tenderness could be the next salvation for the beef industry to gain market share.

Thank you for your input every one.I am testing some bulls to have some data for the customers who are asking,tenderness seems to be the big issue for those who have asked.

Here is a good site;
http://www.naturalhub.com/buy_food_meat_tenderness.htm
And another;
http://arsserv0.tamu.edu/research/publi ... 115=191308
And another;
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/communica ... uality.htm
I grant you that after you read a couple of these articles they focus on Brahman, but the principles are the same. The perception that any animal, regardless of breed, produces a certain quality of beef is simply not true. The genetics are there for each individual animal to become a producer of quality beef but it takes proper management, treatment, feed and processing to make it's way to the table.
From what I have gathered from various reports, articles, etc. Marbling accounts for 10 to 15% of tenderness. Genetics accounts for 20 to 30% of tenderness. Temperament, handling, feeding, and processing would account for the rest.( And of course the way it is cooked) I use a combination of EPD's, carcass evaluation tests, Genestar results, and temperament evaluation when selection is made for future sires.