DNA testing your herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are a humble farm with 15 fenced acres and about 12 beautiful Lowlines. We've had them about 3 years now and couldn't be prouder to own this breed. We have registered some of our herd and then decided to DNA test them. It's nice to offer proof in the paper to our buyers of what they are getting. So we started pulling hairs and filling out cards in hopes all was to easy and we could offer customer satisfaction until... A few tags feel off of our heifers ears ( new to tagging paid off) and then began to get confused at which cow was the right cow for the results. It was so easy to sell without all this fanciness of DNA but we knew it would keep us honest and true in our business. To make a long story short we have not sold a cow since last year and have to go into the red to retest all of our herd. How sad. Anyway we are lucky we have our supplier on the premises and looking forward to offering our babies with no questions or concerns for our customers soon.

If you are interested in testing your herd, we use Igentity.com Corp or American Lowline Registers office. They are so helpful and patient with whatever our question is but they may be ready to hear from you instead. Lol.

Tattoo or brand your cattle. You can tattoo at day old and never go through the mumbo-jumbo of not knowing.

We have a tattoo kit but no head gate. We barely got them tagged ... We bought our herd from someone who had some papers and tags and we can't seem to find a tattoo that's supposed to be in one of their ears. We will get it done though. I would rather brand them just seems like the way we should.

Thanks, I know it will take some practice. I have a feeling we'll be laughing pretty hard at trying to get them off their feet. But I'm up for it. Any tips?

"Cast" the animal down.
Halter to post or whatever.
Tie a rope around it's neck. Not too tight.
Run the rope from top down behind front legs around back to top and make a half hitch over the back.
Now run rope along back, then down and in front of back legs.
Back to top on other side
and make a half hitch on back as before.
Now pull end of rope to the back, hard and smooth. Animal will go down.

Be careful to release the head if animal chokes.

This is safe and relatively easy, depending on size of animal.
Just don't start and then get scared and back out.

Do you have any books on handling cattle?

Latest posts