DIY - Palp Cage

Help Support CattleToday:

Philip-TX

Reaction score
Here's what I did...

A guy was getting rid if 1 1/2" Rigid EMT Conduit so I picked about 10 10' joints for $10ea.
(My son also used some for deer/hog feeder legs.)

It is 7' tall x 30" sq.

This shows a couple of the alley panels (support & gate). I re-did the support to make the sliding gate.

hinges are 2 3/8"dia gates are 1"sq. tubing

'course I bought a new chute after this was made so I had to come up with a way to attach it to the chute.

Looks good and they are very handy when you need to get behind a cow or calf. How much do you figure that you saved in labor and materials over buying one from Priefert?

It is pretty handy for access in/out of alley, and to pass across the alley into the sort pens. I'm getting too old to crawl panels.

I don't even know what a Priefert Palp cage costs....(?)
I used 5 10ft pieces of that Rigid conduit ($10/ea) and the rest was on hand in the steel pile = $50.
I enjoy building stuff too much to call it labor. :)

Philip-TX":cx08m2iq said:
It is pretty handy for access in/out of alley, and to pass across the alley into the sort pens. I'm getting too old to crawl panels.

I don't even know what a Priefert Palp cage costs....(?)
I used 5 10ft pieces of that Rigid conduit ($10/ea) and the rest was on hand in the steel pile = $50.
I enjoy building stuff too much to call it labor. :)
Somewhere in the $500 range. I looked at one and thought it was kinda smallish in the front to back dimension. I use 2 pieces of 2" pipe. My long time vet doesn't have a palp cage behind her chute either, but she enters at a 3-way sort gate.

Cabo":1nlu61as said:
Looks good and they are very handy when you need to get behind a cow or calf. How much do you figure that you saved in labor and materials over buying one from Priefert?
Cabo we've been palpating and breeding from behind for 30 years with nothing but a cow standing in chute unrestrained with the exception of putting a post behind her so she can't back up. We do have a 24" access gate into the chute right behind the cow so we can go and come without having to climb. Once you get a hand inside them most stand very still until you're finished. Never been kicked best I remember.

TexasBred":3ti9z4c2 said:
Cabo":3ti9z4c2 said:
Cabo we've been palpating and breeding from behind for 30 years with nothing but a cow standing in chute unrestrained with the exception of putting a post behind her so she can't back up. We do have a 24" access gate into the chute right behind the cow so we can go and come without having to climb. Once you get a hand inside them most stand very still until you're finished. Never been kicked best I remember.

TB, access to the back of a cow is all I use mine for but you are braver than me working them from behind unrestrained. I like to have their head in the catch gate so they can't go either way.

Cabo":1wkigu49 said:
TexasBred":1wkigu49 said:
Cabo":1wkigu49 said:

TB, access to the back of a cow is all I use mine for but you are braver than me working them from behind unrestrained. I like to have their head in the catch gate so they can't go either way.
Cabo we push them up to the headgate but never catch the head. Just put the post behind them so they can't back up. I guess it's just something you have to get use to doing. I will say that you do make your approach from behind with your palpating arm fully extended and make contract with her before you get your body too close. :nod:

The reason I use 2 pipes behind her is one to keep her from backing up and another lower down to help prevent her from kicking.

Latest posts