DIY bird netting inside barn

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've got a 40 X 60 equipment barn that the sparrows and starlings have taken over. Chitting on all my stuff and building nests everywhere. A friend of mine called a pest control company and they did his 50 X 70 but charged him 3,900 and he had to supply them with a manlift... They did a professional job, no doubt and the results are amazing.

I was planning to run some eye bolts around and string high tensile fence wire around the headers under the rafters and attach the netting to that. It looks like they used some type of small hog rings to attach the mesh to the wire. He has 18 foot ceilings in there so it was hard to see what they used. His netting is 1" squares and every square is attached to the perimeter wire. I was going to zip tie the net to the wire, but according to my calculations that's 2400 zip ties. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has had this installed or did it themselves, maybe you could give me some tips or suggestions?

Thanks-Scott

I've built a flight pen for quail and used the hog rings. It's been there ten years and all the hog rings are still holding. Also, I have two high fence gardens that I used bird netting instead of wire for the fence. Used hog rings there too, no problems. Zip ties have a short life, hog rings have a long life.

I would go with the plastic netting and some sort of lift lines (like are used on bamboo window screens/blinds) to be able to raise and lower it as needed to get equipment in and out.

dun":2o9u8nei said:
I would go with the plastic netting and some sort of lift lines (like are used on bamboo window screens/blinds) to be able to raise and lower it as needed to get equipment in and out.

Not for the doors, Dun. I want to attach it to the bottoms of the trusses to keep them from roosting up there.

millstreaminn":3kcc5i86 said:
dun":3kcc5i86 said:

Not for the doors, Dun. I want to attach it to the bottoms of the trusses to keep them from roosting up there.
My thougts were that it would hang down in front to block entrance to the building. If it's just going to be at the truss level, chickenwire and staples would be my vote.

We build backstops
for baseball fields sometimes. Heavier construction but somewhat similar to what your doing. I would use turnbuckels on one end of each wire. It'll ease installation , and allow you to tighten them as needed.don't use zip ties , use hogrings

They perch in the open trusses. English sparrows. I ordered a roll of bird netting and a bunch of stuff from Home Depot and will post a picture of the results.

Here's what I plan to do to the bottom of the trusses.

We used the bird spikes for similar trusses. Works pretty well--a few very small birds will try to build nests on top on the spikes but it has almost stopped the yearly mess.

I finally got the bird netting put up in the equipment building last weekend. We put eyebolts in the corners and ran high tensile fence wire around the undersides of the trusses. We attached the bird netting every 2" with hog rings. It took 2 people 12 hours, one guy on a pallet on the loader tractor and myself moving the tractor around and fetching parts. I have just under $250.00 in materials and I was so happy with the results, I paid my buddy $500.00 for helping.

Another friend of mine had his barn done by Erlich Pest Control. He has $1.26 a square foot in his. By doing it myself, I have just under 31 cents a square foot in it. I couldn't be happier with the results.

It's kinda hard to see, but this is a shot of the netting looking up into the peak of the trusses. The netting is nice and tight and if you don't know it is there, you would never even see it. Very happy. :D :D :D

And the proof, these tractors have been sitting in there for a week. Not a a piece of chit on the hoods. Before the netting, they would have been covered with chit, pieces of nesting material and feathers...

Latest posts