Dispute over bull leads to violence

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22

Reaction score
This is not good. The bull shouldn't have gotten out. Since both had livestock both are responsible for having decent fences. Both folks needed to control their tempers. The young guy should never have hit the old guy with a stick. In defense of the old guy I would have shot the young guy if I got hit with a stick too. This is not the kind of positive image we need to be projecting in the press.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/in ... labamanews

If a bull decides he's going thru a fence, for whatever reason, he usually goes thru the fence if it's made of any kind of wire. Good thing the old man didn't shoot the bull or someone would be trying to hang him without a trial.

bulls will be bulls an go through fences.as for the young guy he shouldve never hitt the old man with a stick or nothing else.guess that made the old man fear for his liofe.so he shot the old guy.i know if that wouldve happened here in texas.no charges would be filed on the old man.because he feared for his life.so he defended hisself.

Are we talking stick or a club? I don't think I would shoot someone just because he hit me with a stick. Now if he took after me with a pi$$ elm club, I would probably think about shooting if I had a gun with me.

I don't think 37 is that young and I don't think 57 is that old.
People do stupid things, that's for sure.

pdfangus":2y3fd8vs said:

That story is really well written, I thought. And fascinating. That lawyer needs hangin'. But the guy he shot was pretty scary, too.
Fence laws, around here, require neighbors to share 50/50. But, I think they specify 5 strands of barbed wire. So, you would pay half of a 5 wire fence, and if your neighbor wanted the crazy fence this guy wanted he would pay the rest.
My nightmare is that a lawyer buys the place next to me. They aren't all bad, but...

john250":3eh1zh09 said:
pdfangus":3eh1zh09 said:

That story is really well written, I thought. And fascinating. That lawyer needs hangin'. But the guy he shot was pretty scary, too.
Fence laws, around here, require neighbors to share 50/50. But, I think they specify 5 strands of barbed wire. So, you would pay half of a 5 wire fence, and if your neighbor wanted the crazy fence this guy wanted he would pay the rest.
My nightmare is that a lawyer buys the place next to me. They aren't all bad, but...

One reason I don't share fences, nothing but a problem looking to happen IMO. All mine are 8 to 10 feet on my side of the line.
Bulls are bad enough but if they can touch noses and blow snot on each other you are guaranted a fight and problems.

i feel fortunate that we don't have any shared fences.

i have seen it other wise in my lifetime. Families infighting and neighbors on neighbors fighting out some injustice they think they recieved at some point.

I haven't heard the words "i'm gona kill you" in a long time. Brother on Brother. Second hand info from my Dad. I think the sheriff's department was there at the time. Nothing ever came of it but they seemed to agree too quit speaking.

Seems like others ain't there yet.

Been there and done that. All I can say is that you are some times thrown in a lose lose situation. All you want to do is protect your property from invasion and before you know it, you are a victim.

I don't fence my cows in, I fence other cows out.

I share a fence with 6 at one pasture and 4 at another. 9 of the ten are very good folks.

Got a neighbor north of us we share a fence with. His bull has gone through our fence several times. One of our bulls only once. Husband made a mistake of calling the neighbor to let him know the bull had gotten in his pasture and he was going after him. Neighbor chewed my husband out big time and when the hubby tried to talk with the neighbor in the bar later he rolled his eyes at him. I caught him at it.
He keeps his bulls home now.

Oh, our bull was in his pasture for maybe 30 minutes total.

It said they had a history of argueing over livestock, honestly I think it was gonna happen eventually, 2 neighbors who don't mix, with animals, a recipe for disaster. Just a shame that someone had to be seriously hurt.

I have seen a bull walk into 5 strands of barb wire, not even fazed to get another bull, its if they want to go they will!

GMN

iowahawkeyes":3osz9sej said:
I don't think 37 is that young and I don't think 57 is that old.
People do stupid things, that's for sure.

Yep! And nobody has been sucessfull at making a vaccine for stupidity, however if he did he would definitely be rich overnight!

GMN":3r5miqyv said:
It said they had a history of argueing over livestock, honestly I think it was gonna happen eventually, 2 neighbors who don't mix, with animals, a recipe for disaster. Just a shame that someone had to be seriously hurt.

I have seen a bull walk into 5 strands of barb wire, not even fazed to get another bull, its if they want to go they will!

GMN

You are dead on if one wants out bad enough the only solution is the salebarn and I have had one that would go through my fence then the neighbors. First time I moved him to a different pasture, second time I moved him to the salebarn. With that said if you and a neighbor share a fence where bulls can touch noses and blow snot on each other you will have a problem sooner or later. Mine and the neighbors run up and down the fence beller at each other saying look over here I am bad. If they didn't have an eight foot lane seperating them it would be a fight every day.

Caustic Burno":e1n0tb2a said:
GMN":e1n0tb2a said:

GMN

You are dead on if one wants out bad enough the only solution is the salebarn and I have had one that would go through my fence then the neighbors. First time I moved him to a different pasture, second time I moved him to the salebarn. With that said if you and a neighbor share a fence where bulls can touch noses and blow snot on each other you will have a problem sooner or later. Mine and the neighbors run up and down the fence beller at each other saying look over here I am bad. If they didn't have an eight foot lane seperating them it would be a fight every day.

This happened on our back 12 acres about 6-7 years ago. Only thing is that we get along with our neighbors and it wasn't a issue. He had a massive Angus bull, who wanted in with my cows, but I had a fairly good size Holstein bull, who did not back down either, so it got interesting. I would say his bull was bleeding more than mine, and it all worked out. The neighbor came over straight away, fixed the fence, moved his animals, and haven't had the problem since.

Gail

TNMasterBeefProducer":3pxjiklh said:
What about that rich angus breeder? I cannot remember his name that gunned down his neighbor in one of his pastures over the neighbors bull getting into his pasture and breeding his "prized Angus" cows. :roll:

that would be the Ames guy in the article I posted from the washinton newspaper.

He was acquitted by the way. I know that when i need a lawyer i am going to call Craig Cooley. He was guilty as hell and walked away scott free.

TNMasterBeefProducer":30x1ygra said:
Is that ames fella still in the cattle business? I cannot see how anyone would buy from him after all that crap.

He allegedly had a dispersion last year but I heard it did not go well and this past fall he had bulls in the central test.

He still has black cattle in his pastures.

Never yet met anyone who dealt with him who didn't call him a S O B.

Latest posts