Disposition and carcass

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Beef cow calf weekly

Disposition Affects Feedlot And Carcass Value
Poor disposition in cattle can reduce their chances of grading Prime and premium Choice by 50%, says Darrel Busby, Iowa State University Extension animal scientist.

Busby used data from more than 13,000 calves from 12 states fed at eight Iowa feedyards and consigned to the Iowa Tri-County Steer Carcass Futurity to shed light on the relative profitability of cattle with varying temperament. The Iowa Tri-County Steer Carcass Futurity is designed to help producers measure profitability in feedlot cattle.

Using the six-point Beef Improvement Federation disposition scoring system, Futurity calves were scored three times in the feeding period, then grouped by average scores into three categories -- docile, restless and aggressive.

Aggressive calves, representing 5.8% of the total, gained 8% slower on feed and had nearly double the mortality rate (1.91% vs. 1.09%), compared to docile calves, Busby reports.

The percentage of Prime and premium Choice carcasses was reduced from 24.31% to 12.15% when comparing aggressive to docile calves. Equally concerning was the percentage of poor quality grade, Standard carcasses, which nearly doubled (2.55% vs. 5.55%). Certified Angus Beef® acceptance rates for eligible Angus-type calves dropped from 29.07% to 14.3% when disposition declined.

Taking into account quality and yield grade, feedlot gain, death loss and treatment costs, docile calves returned $62.15 more than aggressive calves, Busby says.
-- Michigan State University Beef Cattle Research Update

No surprise for me.

My experience with an aggressive totally crazy steer that I took to the slaughter house a few years ago completely confirms these findings. This was an extreme case where the adrenalin pump caused it to be a "dark cutter" & we unfortunately ended up throwing out most of the meat &/or feeding it to the pets.

I've heard where they test calves on how fast they get back to a certain point after being released from a squeeze chute. The fast ones are deemed less desirable and are culled accordingly.

they had something like this in progressive farmer a few years ago. seemed like common sense to me then too.

Beefy":3edqbjup said:
they had something like this in progressive farmer a few years ago. seemed like common sense to me then too.

It has been pretty much common knowledge for years but it's the first time I've seen actual quantitive values to back it up.

dun

The article makes a good point. Why even keep a "wild" calf. What the animal does for you is wreck gates and disturb otherwise docile animals. High strung animals should be a thing of the past. I would much rather push an animal out of the way than wonder, " What fence will he/she ruin next. Hope anyone else checking for calves this early found live ones.
franseen

franseen":1ukgzatb said:
The article makes a good point. Why even keep a "wild" calf. What the animal does for you is wreck gates and disturb otherwise docile animals. High strung animals should be a thing of the past. I would much rather push an animal out of the way than wonder, " What fence will he/she ruin next. Hope anyone else checking for calves this early found live ones.
franseen

Good point.

BTW, did you find live ones?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take one of these crazies to slaughter and not have the adrenelin and 'attitude' ruin the meat? I have 2 baldie brangus that would absolutely starve to death before they would come into the pen to eat. Three year old daughter says "Stupid Cows"!

tdsteven":2ko959s0 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take one of these crazies to slaughter and not have the adrenelin and 'attitude' ruin the meat? I have 2 baldie brangus that would absolutely starve to death before they would come into the pen to eat. Three year old daughter says "Stupid Cows"!

Sneak up & shoot them in the pasture. Quickly pull them out of the pasture & bleed them - not a good idea to have that blood in the pasture or especially in an area where you work them. Haul them to the butcher. Old timer told me about cow blood & their subsequent reaction. I have had two dark cutters over thes years - my butcher said best to kill them where they graze rather than end up with bad meat. The other option, sell them at the sale barn & take the money & buy meat.

I do not know if tranquilzer dart is an option - seems the drug in them would be an issue.

Latest posts