dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the interesting information!

It makes me believe Herefords are following legacy Longhorns in its departure of mainstream cattle breeding. Huth, Remitall, Deshazer, and a couple of majors, just this year, are having or have had dispersal sales. Angus and their breeders may have finally pushed Herefords past the equilibrium point. In a prior post, I mentioned Hereford registration numbers falling swiftly. There may be two ways to look at this just like always: positively and negatively. Someone new to the Hereford business, like myself, could really rake in extra positioning provided they had some moo moo backaroo chips to play with.

I wrote a couple of email letters to Deshazer and Remitall so I could potentially buy some of their fine cattle. All of the emails I sent were ignored. I wonder if ignoring important emails has anything to do with existing their choice of business. I know I wanted to invest about 1/4 million dollars into cattle and they ignored me.

HerefordSire":3jd2aaba said:

It makes me believe Herefords are following legacy Longhorns in its departure of mainstream cattle breeding. Huth, Remitall, Deshazer, and a couple of majors, just this year, are having or have had dispersal sales. Angus and their breeders may have finally pushed Herefords past the equilibrium point. In a prior post, I mentioned Hereford registration numbers falling swiftly. There may be two ways to look at this just like always: positively and negatively. Someone new to the Hereford business, like myself, could really rake in extra positioning provided they had some moo moo backaroo chips to play with.

I wrote a couple of email letters to Deshazer and Remitall so I could potentially buy some of their fine cattle. All of the emails I sent were ignored. I wonder if ignoring important emails has anything to do with existing their choice of business. I know I wanted to invest about 1/4 million dollars into cattle and they ignored me.
they probably get that all the time.

ALACOWMAN":1f4a69bl said:
HerefordSire":1f4a69bl said:

they probably get that all the time.

HS probably mentioned the Golden Ratio or Fibonacci numbers in his e-mails to them and they needed to do further research into his "Final Frontier" hypotheses before replying. :banana:

My "one-liner" contribution! :lol:

George

Avalon":79yg0nyo said:
Wow, news travels fast... But very possibly a good way for you to have that Deshazer cow you always wanted to own.
especially for those of us that have a 1/4 million dollars, burning a hole in our pocket

sooknortex":1blak8dq said:
I don't know. I had/have my own problems trying to get Mill Creek Ranch to return an email. Sent several and only had one returned due to a poster here intervening on my behalf. Funny how a business is all about the customer on sale day, but other days, ????????

I think some of the cattle breeders still haven't become very well versed on 21st century communication methods. I sent a couple of e-mails to Remitall and didn't receive a reply to them as well. But, as requested in one of them, I did receive a dispersal catalog in the mail.

One of the questions I had was what kind of expense would be expected in getting any cattle bought across the border. Does anyone here know the answer to that?

George

HerefordSire":1wuun180 said:

They're making it easy on you now. You can buy them all.

sounds to me like they are in it for the money.an thats why they are selling the ranch an cattle.its a shame that they dont want to spend their life raising cattle.

[/quote]They're making it easy on you now. You can buy them all.[/quote]

I have my eye on a couple @ the Remitall sale. I wouldn't mind owning Remitall Catalina 24H. I figure $100K could buy her. I also wouldn't mind buying the semen and semen rights for Limelight and a couple of other famous bulls. I am particularly interested in Remitall Royal sired by Remitall Nationwide owned by Remitall and Kiepersol Estates but I didn't see him listed. The EPD WW on Royal is pushing about 80 last I checked.

bigbull338":jidcor5p said:
sounds to me like they are in it for the money.an thats why they are selling the ranch an cattle.its a shame that they dont want to spend their life raising cattle.
Make know bones about it... The folks that run Deshazer are in it because they love the cattle business.

sooknortex":1etulsnj said:
>>I figure $100K could buy her<<

I just hope if you buy her you don't get hit with a 100% Fibonacci Retracement. That would hurt!

LOL

Made me think of all the money I made this year buy and selling naked call and put options of POT (Potash) which is the major fertilizer player in the world. I am glad I didn't get caught in the sell off that is occuring right now (strike talk and oil sell off). She should be getting close to bottoming this cycle. It appears to be trading inline with oil futures. I figure a triple could be made in a short time in the near term future......In the meantime, buy your fertilizer and chemicals now for next year.

1982vett":1gou795w said:
Wow, another one bites the dust :!:

According to Hank's letter, DCC is dispersing, but Tim and Fiona will continue with the ranch and their cattle. Tim and Fiona have been purchasing an interest in some of the DCC cattle for quite some time (not sure how many).

HerefordSire":9rp8y1v6 said:

I think CLEARLY the nation is moving solidly towards an Angus cowherd. I think that DOES simplify things considerably. 15 years ago we were talking about an infinite number of breed combinations. I think now we are more or less forced to accept the idea that we will have a ~50% Angus cowherd. The question is "what will we breed the Angus too?" Charolais seems to be solidifying it's place as the new number two breed. Both of these developments CAN be good developments for Herefords as Herfs cross well too Angus and too Charolais and even work in three way crossbreeding systems with the other two breeds. Brangus seems to be winning the "American breed" wars and the Herf crosses well with them as well. If the Hereford breed can promote itself better and emphasize the roll of Herefords in crossbreeding, the breed can prosper again though I really doubt that we will ever see the vast numbers of straightbred Hereford commercial cows that dominated the ranching business for almost a century.

I think you guys are throwing in the towel too quickly. I hope Brandonm2 scenario is the worst case one. We are seeing good demand for Herefords in OK. They ARE stressing the importance of Herfs in crossbreeding, and backing it up with numerous tests. AHA has one of the best junior programs IMO, and average prices have been on the rise for Hereford cattle.

I rather think that we are seeing more functional real world cattle coming to the fore, and the show oriented breeders are exiting the scene. There have been numerous new faces in the breed lately as well.

Doesn't have mean that there has been a shift in anything other than some large established Hereford breeders are getting up in years. New ones will come along to replace them. If there is any shift in Hereford breeding it needs to be toward working cattle instead of show stock, with too large of a frame, too high of BW and not enough attention IMF. I see way too many of those around here in the breeders all trying to make a name for themselves.

Then there are the other breeder that while they don't have the name, sell good solid foundation stock. They perform well in the pasture and in feedlots with good efficiency. These breeders make me believe that the best years for herefords are not those behind us, but the ones ahead.

I THINK that registrations of Herefords have been declining for 22 years. Last year Angus registered more cattle than the other 50 breeds (Hereford included) COMBINED. Most semen sold is ANgus and a lot of commercial herds that USED to be red white face or black white face have become all black in recent years. I am not dooming and glooming just pointing out where we are at at this moment in time.

Brandonm22":9jrmgqdv said:
I think CLEARLY the nation is moving solidly towards an Angus cowherd.

According to some "cow jockeys" in this area, that trend is actually reversing. They have been buying large groups of open heifers in Nebraska and Kansas, bringing them to North Texas, breeding them, then reselling them.

I recently leased another place and need some more cattle. I contacted them about some commercial Hereford heifers that they had listed for sale only to find that they had already sold them. But they still had their black and black baldie heifers for sale. They both told me that they'd had many calls for the Hereford heifers and could have sold them several times over.

George

greenwillowhereford II":1z51cc55 said:
I think you guys are throwing in the towel too quickly. I hope Brandonm2 scenario is the worst case one. We are seeing good demand for Herefords in OK. They ARE stressing the importance of Herfs in crossbreeding, and backing it up with numerous tests. AHA has one of the best junior programs IMO, and average prices have been on the rise for Hereford cattle.

I rather think that we are seeing more functional real world cattle coming to the fore, and the show oriented breeders are exiting the scene. There have been numerous new faces in the breed lately as well.

I agree completely. The demand in our area for quality Herefords is on the rise, and the prices at breed auctions are higher as well. I'm not trying to start a red vs. black war here, but most recently we have seen commercial herd moving from Angus bulls to Hereford bulls.

Latest posts