Aubrac & Mashona -- herd dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't the best place to put this ... but ... here it is ...

With a very heavy heart, we are selling.

We made some promises to our kids and we've exhausted all other means to keep those promises ... so ... the cows and farm are getting sold. We hope to re-start down the road, so, for now, we'd like to keep our semen and embryos, but we're open to selling some if desired by someone purchasing live animals, too.

Our herd represents almost 10 years of genetic research and almost 8 years of selecting for temperament, phenotype, fertility and function.

We don't grain. We don't halter break. We don't baby. These cattle work.

Most of the calves are sons and daughters (or grandsons / grandaughters) of the mature bulls at the end.

The info below assumes the final three females all calve coming up. Here's a summary list:

1 -- purebred Aubrac cow, with calf
5 -- fullblood Aubrac cows, with calves (one is very old and one is not looking too good; both should probably go to the butcher this fall)
7 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers with their first calf
6 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers ready to be bred for the first time
3 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers who'll probably be too young to breed this summer
1 -- fullblood Aubrac mature bull
4 -- fullblood Aubrac virgin bulls ready to breed (one should probably be castrated)
2 -- fullblood Aubrac weaned steers
4 -- fullblood Aubrac ET bull calves born in last two months
2 -- fullblood Aubrac ET heifer calves born in the last two months

1 -- fullblood Mashona virgin bull ready to breed
2 -- fullblood Mashona cows with Aubrac-sired calves

1 -- Aubrac x. Mashona cow with Aubrac-sired heifer
1 -- Aubrac x. Mashona heifer ready to breed

1 -- commercial black cow w/ Aubrac sired bull calf
1 -- Charolais x. Mashona weaned steer (ready for the butcher)
2 -- Jersey x. Aubrac weaned steers
3 -- Jersey x. Aubrac weaned heifers ready to breed
1 -- Jersey x. Angus weaned heifer ready to breed

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a private message.

Thanks.

Don't look back. Everything suggests your doing exactly what any rational person would.

Someone is going to get some unique and valuable assets. I hope you do well and regardless, some folks are going to get some great cattle.

In what's been a bumpy last couple of months, I've thought I had the whole herd sold three times now.

While a few around the periphery have been sold, the core remains. In a perfect world, the herd goes to one buyer, however, I'm willing to sell onsey-twosey.

If you have any interest in discussing any of this, please private message me. Thank you.

Purebred = 90+% Aubrac blood
Fullblood = 100% Aubrac (or Mashona) blood

1 -- purebred Aubrac cow, with calf
4 -- fullblood Aubrac cows (very old cows (14-18 years) suitable for flushing only); one has her last calf on her now
2 -- fullblood Aubrac cows, with calves
7 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers with their first calf
6 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers ready to be bred for the first time
3 -- fullblood Aubrac heifers who'll probably be too young to breed this summer
1 -- fullblood Aubrac mature bull
2 -- fullblood Aubrac virgin bulls ready to breed
4 -- fullblood Aubrac ET bull calves born this spring
2 -- fullblood Aubrac ET heifer calves born this spring

1 -- fullblood Mashona virgin bull ready to breed
2 -- fullblood Mashona cows with Aubrac-sired calves

1 -- 75% Aubrac / 25% Mashona heifer

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a private message.

Steve ... best to discuss on the phone ...

True Grit Farms said:
I can't see why anyone would want something that is so hard to sell.

One buyer represented they were a cash buyer, then backed out when the bank loan didn't get approved. It's hard to put their lack of integrity (they lied to me) and poor credit on the backs of my cattle.

Another one family, for reasons unrelated entirely to me or my cattle, decided to split. Again, hardly my fault and hard to put their issues on my cattle.

... etc ...

It's easy to sell them onesy - twosey. I'm trying to keep the herd in tact.

Very sorry to read this. I hope at some point later in time you have the chance to pick up where you left it.

JWBrahman said:
Very sorry to read this. I hope at some point later in time you have the chance to pick up where you left it.

Thanks for saying so. We are hopeful to have cattle again within the next handful of years.

Unless a big offer comes in for more than just the live cattle, we're planning on keeping the embryos and (at least) a big chunk of our semen. We've even had French reach out to us to make sure our frozen genetics remain viable...

We'll see where it all goes from here.

These are some really good critters and they'd do well pretty much in any part of the country.

... and now the dirt is under contract ... closing date is set for October 21 ... a day definitely filled with mixed emotions ... the buyer is giving me until 12/31 to sell the critters.

I think someone is buying one of the two younger Aubrac bulls and five of the younger Aubrac females (four pairs and a presumed bred heifer), but the deposit hasn't arrived yet, so until it does, the ones he wants are still listed below.

Remaining critters:
2 - Aubrac - mature cows, proven donors, with their natural calves
2 - Aubrac - young cows, proven donors, with their natural calves
5 - Aubrac - first time heifers, with their AI sired calves ... all are daughters of donors
2 - Aubrac - heifers with bulls and presumed bred (born too late in 2017 to run with the breeding age heifers last year) ... both are daughters of donors
4 - Aubrac - heifers with bulls and presumed bred (born in spring or early summer of 2018) ... all are daughters of donors
1 - Aubrac - mature Aubrac herdsire
2 - Aubrac - young Aubrac bulls in with the females for the first time this summer
4 - Aubrac - fullblood Aubrac ET bull calves born this spring; will be weaned from their recip dams in October
2 - Aubrac - fullblood Aubrac ET heifer calves born this spring; will be weaned from their recip dams in October

1 - Mashona - young fullblood bull with females for the first time this summer
2 - Mashona - fullblood cows with Aubrac-sired calves

Walnutcrest

I hate hearing this, I know you have invested not only dollars but your blood sweat and tears into this herd. I wish you the very best and pray your able to start over at some point in the future.

Gizmom

Latest posts