Disabled Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Tripple C

Reaction score
I have a heifer that laid down in the pasture 7 days ago, and would not get up. Lo and behold she had a calf 2 days ago, and the calf is fine. She however, will still not get up and yet she eats good and drinks if I take it to her. She can move her back legs, but seems to not be able to get them under her to get up. Any suggestions as to whether she is salvageable or should I plan to put her down?

you about 6 & 3/4 days too late in doing any thing. the longer their down the more damage. you will more than likely be putting her down. but not before the vet had a look at her if she were mine possibly nerve damage

Just from comparing your situation to the other posts that I have read on this board lately, sounds like she could be suffering from nerve damage after being in labor for so long.

Do you have a good plan for that calf? Good luck.

Was she in labor for 5 days? I thought that when the calf was passing through the birth canal was when the pinched nerve happened? What could cause nerve damage 5 days before birth and if she had nerve damage how did she have the calf on her own?

I was under the impression from the timeline that was given was that she was in labor for 5 days. If she was on the ground for 5 days and in labor, sounds like tough labor led to nerve damage.

But again, that is what I what I deduced from reading the post. I've been less than right before.

Jeremy14":8sisqjfi said:
I was under the impression from the timeline that was given was that she was in labor for 5 days. If she was on the ground for 5 days and in labor, sounds like tough labor led to nerve damage.

But again, that is what I what I deduced from reading the post. I've been less than right before.
it sounds to me like the calf was laying on a nerve.so she nlayed down an didnt try to get up again.what id do is get the hipplifters an lift her up.an see if she will stand on any of her leggs.right now it sounds like she is being a bullheaded devil.what id try 1st is light her but up with a hotshot.an she if she gets up.but if she did id have a safe place to get.because she could come up fighting.

ALACOWMAN":20rj78kw said:
you about 6 & 3/4 days too late in doing any thing. the longer their down the more damage. you will more than likely be putting her down. but not before the vet had a look at her if she were mine possibly nerve damage

Thats no joke on 6 3/4 days to late, never go to bed with a down cow.

bigbull338":1uxu7yae said:
it sounds to me like the calf was laying on a nerve.so she nlayed down an didnt try to get up again.what id do is get the hipplifters an lift her up.an see if she will stand on any of her leggs.right now it sounds like she is being a bullheaded devil.what id try 1st is light her but up with a hotshot.an she if she gets up.but if she did id have a safe place to get.because she could come up fighting.

I agree with bigbull on the nerver thing.

First thing is to get a sling. You might need it in the future. You can lift the cow with it hooked to the tractor bucket. Usually that is about all it takes to get them on their feet. Too late this time. Sounds like you needed to pull that calf way back when. The hot shot method is something you could try to trigger her, but I would use that as the last resort.

Frequently slapping them across the face with your hat will get them up. Learned that from an "old(er) timer"

dun

dun":1rpjo9nj said:
Frequently slapping them across the face with your hat will get them up. Learned that from an "old(er) timer"

dun

A friend's friend hauled cattle, pot loads, I think is the term. My friend said that he always kept a bottle of ammonia in the truck. On a downer he would flick a little ammonia in their nostrils. Said if a cow had any "getup" in it, it would get on it's feet. Anyone else heard of this.

sidney411":1uayjawe said:
Isn't that like smelling salts?

May be. Ammonia is used in cleaners among other things. It burns like the dickens when sniffed full-strength they tell me. I've never tried it.

Cowdirt":1jtmmzvg said:
sidney411":1jtmmzvg said:
Isn't that like smelling salts?

May be. Ammonia is used in cleaners among other things. It burns like the dickens when sniffed full-strength they tell me. I've never tried it.
theres another old trick that they say will get a downer up.clamp her mouth an nose shut an its supposed to get her up.but it can be dangerious.she could fight an get you down.so dont think id try that 1.

Have had three go down in past 2 years. None got up. Last on could move her back legs fine but just could not get them under her and get up.

I know in past people have posted success stories of ones that got up, but we have had no such luck.

That is why my New Years resolution is to buy some more bred cows but stay away from the Heifers.

aplusmnt":2l7is9qq said:
Have had three go down in past 2 years. None got up. Last on could move her back legs fine but just could not get them under her and get up.

I know in past people have posted success stories of ones that got up, but we have had no such luck.

That is why my New Years resolution is to buy some more bred cows but stay away from the Heifers.

We have had success, and we have had failures. The longest we had one go and still get up was 4 days. I have heard of the rare one that went longer than that, just never seen it. Covering the nostrils/mouth works, but I have only done it on an animal that was restrained. You have to be a bit careful though, some of them will just lay there and expire :oops: , and the next will try to eat you :shock: !!!!

randiliana":2f0pfu6u said:
aplusmnt":2f0pfu6u said:

We have had success, and we have had failures. The longest we had one go and still get up was 4 days. I have heard of the rare one that went longer than that, just never seen it. Covering the nostrils/mouth works, but I have only done it on an animal that was restrained. You have to be a bit careful though, some of them will just lay there and expire :oops: , and the next will try to eat you :shock: !!!!
ive had dairy cows go down for a month.an work with them an get them up an back in the barn.an ive lost a few to that never would or could stand up with being lifted.its a 50/50 deal.if the cow gives up all the work in the world wont save her.

bigbull338":1u1wl4rw said:
if the cow gives up all the work in the world wont save her.

That right there is about 90% of it. When the cow gives up just inoculate her with lead. The only one that I saw recently that didn;t give up and I ended up shooting was one that it turned out had a broken pelvis from falling on the ice. We put the hip lifters on her and the hooks squeezed together almost to the point of touching. That's would made me think pelvis. That afternoon she had that given up look in her I so I popped her.

dun

We're missing the boat here. Somethings not right. She was DOWN 5 days - than calved??? calf dead or alive?
Did she act like she was in labor during those 5 days?
Was she even DUE to calve? Did you know?
Where's the VET? the first day she went down?

We had one go down last year and one the year before.... Last year was a heifer who was paralyzed from calving. She fought, she fought and she fought but those legs just wouldn't work well enought.. Vet looked at her, we shot her up with anti inflams.. Thoughts we were making progress but to no avail.

Second one.. Still don't know what happened to her. she went down, we actually induced labor on her hoping to save the calf and did, pulled the calf with no difficuulty at all. Took Blood from the cow and there was something strange about her liver functions being out of whack. Vet thought that MAYBE she might have been having Milk Fever or soemthing and we IVed her and a few other things.. And another go down at the exact same time but she got up within 8 hours and is still with us to this day... The one with all the bucks in her.. Well she got one final injection unfortunetly.... Sometimes you try, and try but nothing works... Vets were leaning towards a metabolic problem because of some blood levels.. She looked fat to be in fine shape.

need to get a vet out there, if it didnt have anything to do with calvin more could follow. jp

Latest posts