Direct Marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
What breed of cattle do most of you folks use when direct marketing beef by the whole or 1/2?
What are your feeding procedures?
Any difficulties in marketing?

I dont do it, but I am curious what those folks have to say that are successful at it.

Thanks in advance..

I don't know if you'd call me "successful" at it, but it works for me. When I had a few more cows that is.

Many of the people at work are looking for steers that are not pumped full of growth hormones and such. I sell many of my steers to these folks. I wean the steers and then pasture them until I get them to around 700 lbs. It is at that time they are sold to customers. I will bring them here to my house where I have 16 acres and feed them out if the customer so chooses, but they are no longer my animals. Feed cost is not mine either.

If a customer decides he wants to split a steer, that is usually not a problem because there are other folks looking. Sometimes the other person is not someone else I know but usually it is.

After I have fed them approximately 3 to 4 months and attained an "average" readiness for the bunch, I will haul them to the processors right along with my steer. I will bring the cut sheets back to the buyers and the preparation and packaging instructions are between them and the processor.

The customers are essentially placing a whole bunch of trust in me to some degree because I generally buy all the feed and tell them what their cost is. I readily furnish receipts. I also receive a fair market price for the steer. Most of these folks I have known and worked with for quite some time and they know me and they know my integrity.

We have cows that are "favorites" for steers. Some years they have heifers. It helps to have a few favorites for yourself. If I get a steer that is not excellent, I use a different cow.

My steers are generally brangus/charlais/angus crosses. My bull I am using now is brangus.

Customers come back year after year. Some buy every other year.

It works well for me except I am not running many head right now.

Go to eatwild.com or Askthemeatman.com.
We are all natural grassfed and working on organic certification.
Mostly Shorthorn with a dozen Longhorns to keep it interesting.
We sell live and take it to the processor of your choice.
Sell at two outlets. Ouarter,half or any quanity at the farm.
You cannot sell organic unless you are organic and it is processed by a USDA certified processor.

Latest posts