Digital scales

Help Support CattleToday:

gertguy, We purchased a set of gallaghers last year and absolutely love them. If you like any info just let me know.

we got our scales about four years ago. love them. They came with the platform (well got a great deal on those couldn't resist) but wouldn't blink and eye to buy another set if we had to. especially having kids in 4h and showing. Sure beats loading them up and running down to the feed mill to weight them!!!!

Is there a source for good used scales somewhere? We are in need of scales for the same reason mentioned above...the trip to the chip mill to weigh is getting old!

Lazyacre":n1q9nlbs said:
Is there a source for good used scales somewhere? We are in need of scales for the same reason mentioned above...the trip to the chip mill to weigh is getting old!

I sure haven;t found one. When we were looking for scales I contacted the folks that advertise used scales and they were either jukn or almost the price of a new one. I attended probably 20 or more farm auctions that had scales, they went for within a 100 bucks or so of a new one, some went even higher then new ones. So I sucked it up last fall and found a couple of dealers at Farmfest and compared prices. Ended up getting the Trutest for the same money as the off the wall models that no one has ever heard of. Saved about 800 bucks.

We bought our Gallagher unit on ebay. Brand new at 1/3 the price. I also see a lot of scales on Craigslist. If you're close to a big city, look up auction sites in the area. You can find a lot of platform scales. An auction that just ended here, had 4 brand new, in the box scales from a local company. Pennies on the dollar.

Lazyacre":2eeqayed said:

we couldn't find any used ones either, (that weren't junk) we sucked it up and bought the new ones. i think they were around $1400. It seems like alot of money, especially if you dont use them all the time. but we had visions of show steers getting away from us at the mill and getting hit by a car or never being caught by us at least. we have a small herd about 10 cows and do use them for those. but the main reason we got them was for the show steers. its nice just being able to weigh them when ever you want.

t&d farms":33iqbnlz said:
its nice just being able to weigh them when ever you want.

We set ours up in the alley just before the squeeze. It's habdy as a pocket on a shirt. Able to weigh anything anytime. Also use it to weigh deer. That's just to see how much weight I had to drag around getting them up.

Anyone ever heard of these:

MTI Weigh Systems has been in business for over 20 years. We supply scales to farmers/breeders for livestock weighing applications.

This letter is to let you know about a special offer we have on our MTI500WB livestock scale. This scale easily fits under an existing squeeze chute or platform. I have included a specification sheet for the weigh bar scales with this letter for your review.

The regular price on these scales is $1,400.00. Your special price is $850.00. They are covered by a full, two-year warranty and have a capacity of 5,000 lbs. The (2) 40" or 33" weigh bars are calibrated to a stainless steel digital indicator. The stainless steel indicator has an AC adapter and a rechargeable battery. You can view this product by going directly to our website http://www.mtiweigh.com and clicking on livestock scales. Simply scroll down to the MTI series for the complete spec guide. The sale price is not allowed in our shopping cart on-line so you need to call us to place your order.

I got the above in an email yesterday. I have not heard of them.
My brother has the tru test unit and it is really slick. I don't have the "extra" funds in this years budget for a scale so I have been using a beef tape. It is within about 10 pounds of the scale.

do most of you guys have different alley for your scales, or is it in the same alley as your head gate? and if its in the same alley as your head gate does it bother the scale having the cows/calves walk across it when ever you work them?

our scales are portable, we keep them picked up until needed. We dotn use headgates, we walk the cows/steers on to them, and set them up using a show stick. yes ALL of our cows are halter broke and can be walked, makes life simple.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2dus88v7 said:
Here is the finished product on my scales. Well finished all but the latch on the front to hold the front gate closed and the rear gate that moves up when you pull a rope and slams shut when you release the rope.

100_1615.jpg

I think the wood for the project and concrete cost a grand total of 187.00 at Lowes.

That sure looks like that setup is going to work good for you.
We have had the scales that go under the squeeze, they work good to but I like that system alot better. We use a portable NORAC 10x14 scales now but we also need to weigh alot more head.

Latest posts