diesel engine autotuners or chips

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the Predator and SCT for the 6 liter Ford. I bought the Predator first and later discovered it would not work with certain new flashes from Ford so then I bought the SCT. I have 3 programs currently for the SCT. Economy, Quick, and burn all the rubber off of the tires.

obviously im a dodge guy so...but i have a drag comp fueling box and a programmer called a smarty. it downloads a new program into the ecm. power increases up to 150 hp extra. torque to pull beyond belief

I've got a Superchips tuner and it's made a real difference. The transmission seems to lock up quicker then the factory tune and I get about 10% better fuel mileage. There is a performance tune that is WAY to sensitive. Just a bump in the driveway that makes your foot jiggle on the accelerator speeds it up or slow it downs. Don;t know what it likes on the road since all I did was drove down the driveway once, turned around and came back up and changed the tune.

NLCC
Always go with the tuner over a chip, tuners can be used at anytime you want, some now can be changed on the fly. Also if you ever have work done on your truck, the chip can be reprogrammed to factory settings by the mechanic if he does not know the chip is not factory.
Then you have to pull it and mail it back to the factory to get fixed.

a chip cant be reprogrammed. if your truck is under warranty a tuner(programmer...downloader) will leava footprint on your ecm/pcm. if your dealer finds it a good possibility of yer warranty goin bye bye. chips can be removed for a trip to the dealer by just unpluggin them. they are always on for the most part also. if you get a tuner most of them require a restart of the truck after prgramming.

still would like to know what ya got or all this is moot really

thanks guys.dieselbeef I have a 6.6 liter Duramax

I have the Edge EZ and love it. Boasted fuel economy, HP, and torque at the lowest setting. I tried the higher settings but the increase in power was nominal and had no gain in mileage.

lot of the dura guys are using the superchip programmer or a predator tuner is also a very good unit for making some serious power.

whats yer goal w/the truck. any edge product is a really good unit. predators also very highly recommended

dieselbeef":19jlka9k said:
obviously im a dodge guy so...but i have a drag comp fueling box and a programmer called a smarty. it downloads a new program into the ecm. power increases up to 150 hp extra. torque to pull beyond belief

I just ordered the Smarty S-06 for mine about a week ago and I can't wait until it gets in.

Don't let him go over about 90-110HP or the Allison will cry... There are: Superchips, Predator, Quadzilla, and PPE for downloaders; Edge and Van Aaken for harness boxes; and EFI live for custom tuning. I also hear that TS performance has something as well.

The most cost effective will be the downloaders. They can compensate for tire size changes and speedlimiter increase.

The easiest are the harness boxes. 2 connections under the hood on the valve cover and they are on or off. The Edge can be fitted with the "Attitude" monitor that provides gauges, transmission defuel settings, and on the fly adjustability. Edge is getting a reputation for not standing behind their product and they are high $$... The VA comes with 3 settings and a toggle switch to adjust on the fly.

I've never been around the banks product, but for the power output vs. $$ spent I'd say it's not that great...

The other option is EFI Live custom tuning software. It's nice because it serves many of the functions of a Tech II scanner. It can work on the ECM and TCM
copied offa oilburners.net website

Cinco_M_Gert":35isjtsi said:
dieselbeef":35isjtsi said:

I just ordered the Smarty S-06 for mine about a week ago and I can't wait until it gets in.

dude the smarty is off the scale! its awesome. ive got alot of mods but a stock truck will really step up w/ the smarty. if you got an auto dont play too hard itll kill yer tranny. too bad its not on the fly adj but its the best dodge tuner out there imo.

dieselbeef":mdzdij8m said:
lot of the dura guys are using the superchip programmer or a predator tuner is also a very good unit for making some serious power.

whats yer goal w/the truck. any edge product is a really good unit. predators also very highly recommended

i need a little better fuel economy , when i,m not hauling hay , equipment,or livestock. Some more power would be ok in these hills, but I don,t want to risk pissing up my tranny.

What is available for an 07 Dodge with the new 6.7 Cummins. Need something that won't void warranty. Would like better fuel mileage, and power could be stepped up a little.

what can be done for a 99 dodge cummins. would like better mpg it is an auto tranny. dont care for auto tranny but got a good deal on truck so i will live with tranny.

got ot the http://www.cumminsforum.com or to the http://www.dieseltruckresourceforum.com and start reading. there reall yis so much out there its hard to pick. chips and downloaders are easy to install and use and will get you the results you want. tuners can void the warranty though and a chip can be removed before any warranty werk ina few minutes. edge makes good products(tuner or chip) as well as predator(tuners) or quadzilla(chips) is also a really good chip. really good plug and play is the quadzilla or the edge ez chips. i have had both and you will lik either one. anywhere from 75 to 120 hp increase as well as fuel mileage. i think for the new trucks theyre both on the fly adj as well. check out the forums though they got alotta good deals and lottsa info

just a little footnote for you is that fuel filters are very important to your truck. always use cummins ,napa gold,or mopar oil and fuel filters. fuel filters cannot be scrimped on. inj are at 23000 psi on yer truck less than 5 micron filters are required

I've been a member of Dieseltruckresource.com for a couple years now and there is Tons and Tons of information on that forum and very helpful people on the forum

Just a word of caution on chips. The money you save on fuel economy will not even approach the money you will spend on repairs if you push it too far. My cousin has replaced his fuel pumping system twice at $1500 a pop due to chipping his Cummins. He's only 18 so he has time to learn I guess. Boone

if hes got an 01 or 02 then yeah...his truck is notrious for fuel pump system probs.

my truck is makin upper 400 hp and its dead reliable. build it as a pkg and itll work for ya.

the smaller chips are safe for the avg user and will increase mleage

Latest posts