Diarrhea - Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

The thing about Johnes is that others in your herd can have the disease and not necessarily show symptoms, or can be 5+ years old and THEN show symptoms.

The only construction way to get rid of it is to ship everything that is related to one that's symptomatic. Or.. test your herd. But that gets complicated and expensive. It's a pain to get rid of! You don't see it as much in beef herds because a lot of beef herds are in pastures when they calve, which helps keep the newborns from getting contaminated from infected manure. They can still get it from other cows, but not as likely as in a confinement area, like a dairy.

I think was mentioned on the first page, try giving her the sustain III boluses (sulfamethazine, sp?) and ivermectin injectable and see if that doesn't help..... we've had a skinny cow like that all winter, I took her to the vet and although they did blood tests she came back negative for johnnes and something else (can't remember right now what it was). She gained a little weight but not a lot and the vet checked her for worms and she had none.... anyway after reading on here we got her in the chute last week and gave her the boluses and Ivermecterin IM and I'm telling you I can tell a big difference in just one week. We've got her drylotted and she has free choice hay and grain twice daily. This weekend I think we'll turn her loose on the pasture.

Latest posts