Diagram for beef cuts?

Help Support CattleToday:

redneckcowgirlmn

Reaction score
Hi,
(yea, here she goes again, LOL!)
Any ideas to a link or 2 of beef butchering charts, diagrams and stuff? No, I'm NOT doing it myself, tempting as it is, just curious as to what all the cuts are, and where they all come from on the carcass. And, in everyone's opinion, if you're only doing 2, is it better on the meat to have a mobile butcher come out to the farm and slaughter, or haul them in somewhere?
Thanks...

redneckcowgirlmn":37x39kcu said:
And, in everyone's opinion, if you're only doing 2, is it better on the meat to have a mobile butcher come out to the farm and slaughter, or haul them in somewhere?
Thanks...

To the best of my knowledge there are no mobile butcherer's around here, so we haul ours in to the local packing plant. 2 at once? I hope you've got lots of freezer space! :lol: :lol:

I guess there's a few up here, and I've seen it done once before, the guy showed up in a truck, shot them in the head where they stood in the pasture,(I guess I thought this was pretty interesting, because they never saw it coming, and never got excited or stressed.) hooked them up to a hoist, gutted and skinned them, the hoist turned with the hung carcasses into the truck, and away he went.
Now, remember, we're not talking about spendy registered beef animals here, just a couple Holstein Feeder calves, lol! They're about 850# now, 11 months old, and still a major pain in my rear.(Not one of my brighter ideas, lol! Hey, (I grew up around free range beef animals, not contained corn-fed and "Tend-r-leen" pellets. I was a KID, not in charge of any decisions.) The feed store guy suggested the mobile butcher, as to not stress them out loading and hauling, which would make the meat tenderer.
I was just wondering if any of you had ever used one before, and what your experiences were.
I know there's a processing plant in St Paul, but would it be worth it to them and me to haul 2 obnoxious holsteins in a horse trailer, all the way down there...

Foley has a couple processors that are very good. Braham also has an excellent processor but you need to schedule out pretty far as they seem to stay pretty busy. I think there is also still one in Isanti, but have never used them. I almost always go to Foley and have always been happy.

I don't know of anyone that will slaughter on the farm anymore though. If you find someone let me know.