Dexter cows???

Help Support CattleToday:

whiterabbitfound

Reaction score
We are wanting to make use of our 15 acres and get a few meat/milk cows. We have 3 pastures, 8 stall barn, and about 3 acres of alfalfa. So far my research has me leaning towards Dexters I don't know anyone that owns them or eaten them... Thoughts??

It's important to check on their dispositions. Sure they may claimed that they are a gentle breed but I see more nutty ones in the Dexter breed.

Dexters are good breed for small acreages and/or hobby farmer. When buying one (or any breed) important to see them in person and "walk among them" at their seller's ranch. Only select those with gentle dispositions. If you plan to breed them, only have one bull. Any cattle are better off "free range" with options for shelter and windbreaks. Avoid "stalling" them since closed up spaces increase chance for respiratory illness. On a sidebar, my brother raises a few in SW Texas "desert" location...lol. You can get either polled or horned dexters (only have small, short horns), solid red or black animals.

Thanks for the info everyone.

As far a breeding, not entirely sure if we want to go that route however we are trying to be self-sustaining on our little farm so that may come at some point.

Being that they are smaller and more docile should I have more concerns with local predators? We have wild dogs and coyotes in my area. I do have dogs of my own but they pose a threat to livestock when left unattended so leaving them with the cows probably won't happen.

whiterabbitfound":2t3tucdu said:
Thanks for the info everyone.

As far a breeding, not entirely sure if we want to go that route however we are trying to be self-sustaining on our little farm so that may come at some point.

Being that they are smaller and more docile should I have more concerns with local predators? We have wild dogs and coyotes in my area. I do have dogs of my own but they pose a threat to livestock when left unattended so leaving them with the cows probably won't happen.
while they are smaller cattle, they are not super tiny creatures like and they can handle coyotes and dogs with no problems. Don't let their docile nature fooled you as I stated there are more nutty ones in Dexter breed these days. Limit your herd numbers if you go in the breeding routine and the last thing you need is surplus of unwanted dexter calves.

Taurus":3ukxr601 said:
Limit your herd numbers if you go in the breeding routine and the last thing you need is surplus of unwanted dexter calves.
Excellent advice. If someone wants a Dexter they are generally willing to pay the price, but there isn;t much of a market for the run of the mill Dexter.
While they are smaller then full sized cattle and have a decent diposition there are nut cases among them too. And as a doctor told me once (concerning a yearling) even though they;re smaller then you they're still a lot stronger.

Latest posts