Deworming new calfs

Help Support CattleToday:

DINGRAM

Reaction score
When do I need to deworm my new calfs. Do I deworm my cows once a year

We de-worm our calves at about 3 to 4 months when they get their initial series of vaccinations. Use Ivomec Plus, injectible.

After that, our entire herd is de-wormed with Ivomec Plus twice a year, spring & fall. Any new purchase arrivals are de-wormed upon arrival. Bulls de-wormed when back from a lease out service as well as re-vaccinated for Lepto & Vibrio.

Is it ok to use pour on dewormer

Sure it is. Everyone has his preferences, and some people prefer injectiables over pour-ons, and vice versa. The important thing is to use a product that matches the parasites that are found in your area. For example, there is no reason to pay extra for a wormer that kills liver flukes if there is little chance that you cattle could have any. It is a good idea to rotate the wormer that you use from one year to the next. We also worm twice a year, spring and fall. One year I use pour-on, the next year injectiable. Calves that are born in the spring are wormed in the fall when we work everything.

We worm calves the first time that they come through the corral for roundup, which is usually 4 to 6 months of age. We "work" all the cattle twice per year. New arrivals (purchases or trades, not newborns) of any gender get dewormed and vaccinated. If the calves you are asking about are grazing, and you have the opportunity you can worm them earlier if you feel it is necessary. We generally use a pour-on wormer in the spring (seems to help with flies, ticks, grubs, lice, etc. for a few weeks) and an injectable in the fall.

Latest posts