deworming in the summer

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I read where deworming in the heat of summer is a waste of money. The temp is to hot for the bugs that get into cattle systems, for them to survive. Is this correct or not. I have some cows that i am moving from one place to another and was going to vaccinate when I moved them but didn't want to waste any money. if this is true. do the cattle that have worms or parasites lose these bugs as the temps warm up and they can no longer survive.

plbcattle":6ggdvi83 said:
I read where deworming in the heat of summer is a waste of money. The temp is to hot for the bugs that get into cattle systems, for them to survive. Is this correct or not. I have some cows that i am moving from one place to another and was going to vaccinate when I moved them but didn't want to waste any money. if this is true. do the cattle that have worms or parasites lose these bugs as the temps warm up and they can no longer survive.

If a cow ain't been wormed in a while, it proabaly don't matter how hot it is. Internal prassites need to be taken care of. Show cattle can get wormed every 3 to 4 months. I try to worm in late fall and early spring, when their mouths are close to the ground. Hadn't ever herd this.

plbcattle":kojs2ec6 said:

If your cows have parasites it is NEVER a waste of money to de-worm. It is true that worms do not tolerate outdoor high temps and drought as well as cool conditions. All that means is your cows won't become infested as easily.

They may not be able to pick any new ones because of the heat if what you read is true. But because their body regulates the internal body temperature, any in them will survive and even thrive in the summer.

Bryan

bgm":18pzgyrn said:
They may not be able to pick any new ones because of the heat if what you read is true. But because their body regulates the internal body temperature, any in them will survive and even thrive in the summer.

Bryan

Are you saying it does no good to de-worm cattle in the summer?

No, I didn't mean that at all. I'm saying that if they are in there they need to be dealt with regardless of the outside temp. Sorry If I wasn't clear. My observation was even if they couldn't survive the outside temp (which I can't answer definatively one way or another) they could thrive inside an animal.

Bryan

bgm":2qr80q5u said:
No, I didn't mean that at all. I'm saying that if they are in there they need to be dealt with regardless of the outside temp. Sorry If I wasn't clear. My observation was even if they couldn't survive the outside temp (which I can't answer definatively one way or another) they could thrive inside an animal.

Bryan

Gotcha.

Me thinks the issue may also lay with the stress the cattle feel during very hot weather when your working them.

Keep in mind that when you are worming, you are literally poisoning the animal to some extent. and some will feel it worse then others, it can be amplified by the stress of the heat.

As far as the actual effectiveness of the wormer......would hardly thing it would make a difference as to what time of year, besides the fact that you may want to time it to target specific parasitic threats, such as heel fly and warbles in the may-june months. thus we often worm the begining of july though sept. for same, before they can reach a stage that would be detrimental to the cattle either as a live pupi (spelling) or dead withing the animal.

Some folks wait until after the first few heavy frosts in the thought that most external parasites are either killed or become dormant by then, thus preventing reinfestation just after worming treatment...at least until warm weather again.

But hey..thats just mo! :cboy:

in the south you need to also think about liverflukes... and i have always been told that july-sept is the best time to worm for them.

i agree with the others... if yore cattle is in need... it is not a waste of money.

jmo

jt

Latest posts