DEWORMING BLOCK

Help Support CattleToday:

1treemover

Reaction score
Wanting to get opinions on Deworming blocks. Do they work? Let's say a herd size of 10cows and one bull. I have heard injection is best, but that block sure would be easier for a starter such as myself ;-) .

Thanks!!

id say they work.but for 101hd you need to read on the blocks and see how meny blocks you need to worm your herd.the blocks worm so meny pounds of cattle.like 10,000lb wich is 8hd. so youd need 14 blocks to worm your herd.scott

The safe guard block is better than nothing but it just won't get the job done. Run them through some sort of chute or crowd them in a small stout pin and pour on a good product like cydection.

The problem with blocks is "who got what and how much"
Is hard to tell if they got the proper dosage.

Bama":3y7wwyfp said:
The problem with blocks is "who got what and how much"
Is hard to tell if they got the proper dosage.
One block is supposed to be enough for 8 head of adult cattle. I go along with other's opinions of who got what. Nothing beats a pour on or injectable wormer.

We use Dectomax injectable, 18ga, 3/4 inch needle, SQ this stuff is heavy and the cows don't like it much but I'm not sure of the pour on getting the proper dose, have never used it...besides we have so much time on our hands that we hold chute drills every few weeks just to get the cattle use to going through the chute (old powder river, manual headgate) but don't always head catch, keeps them guessing. dave Mc

So SD...you like teasing your cows huh? lol

Um... pour on, works best if ya don't want to stick em... at least ya know everyone is getting hit with it........

how to do it easily if you can't or don't want to chute them.................feed them all at once...in a small area, and only a small amount of grain at a time..... they all get greedy for the grain, and don't even think about you splashing wormer on the backs...

I also keep about 10 head of cattle. Have used blocks, with the problems already pointed out. Have also used pellets mixed in feed. You can just mix in in the feed and hope each one gets an equate amount, but thats the same problem as the block. Most of mine are so tame I can mix individual feed with prescribed amount for each one...but some won't touch the feed at all with pellets mixed in, others gobble it up.

You can get a pump type gun for the pour on which would make it a little easier to apply without pulling them in a chute/headgate. I plan to try that method. Tractor Supply sells the device for about $30.

I sometimes inject, but mostly use the pour on. I have had trouble with the gun part of it, on two different containers, so I now figure out what amount for a 1000# is, mark a line on a empty dishwashing liquid bottle, and just add some, or take from the line, or amount, for bigger, and smaller ones. This has worked well for me. But I hate it when a brand new gun, messes up, so I don't even buy that part anymore. Good luck

We use the pour on without the gun and yes, you probably should put the cow into the chute. Works like wonder. In a week, the cattle looked great. Their coats looked better. Expensive stuff though. I used the bottle that looks like a dishwashing container.

Latest posts