Rolling road block

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Another rolling road block in front of my house. About 200 pairs moved up the county road. These cows spent the last 6 weeks out on range the other side of the freeway. They got gathered and driven home on Tuesday. On Wednesday the calves got branded. Yesterday afternoon about 4:00 they started their trip to summer pasture. At around 8:00 they made it to the shooting range and swimming hole area along the road. There is a little flat ground there with grass. They spent the night there and took care of that grass. On up the canyon another 8 or 9 miles today.
The best part is some tourist types drove through the herd and back down again. They were taking pictures of cows, cow dogs, and cowboys. I hopped in the pickup with neighbor B and we went up the canyon to close a couple gates to keep the cows from going astray this morning. When we came back the tourist had a tent set up at the swimming hole (a popular along side the road camping spot). They had 200 cows and calves bawling to find baby or mother. I bet it was a peaceful night.

cumminspuller said:
You reckon those tourist slept any at all last night? hahaha
This morning while changing the irrigation I saw the cowboys go by pulling a stock trailer. So when I got done I ran the quad up the road. The cowboys and cows were all gone up the canyon. The tent was no longer there but the car was there and all the windows were fogged up. Could be the cows poked around the tent too much. Also in the middle of the night there was thunder, lightning, and an associated thunder shower. That might have caused them to flee the tent. Either way I seriously doubt that they got a good nights sleep.

Dave said:
cumminspuller said:
You reckon those tourist slept any at all last night? hahaha
This morning while changing the irrigation I saw the cowboys go by pulling a stock trailer. So when I got done I ran the quad up the road. The cowboys and cows were all gone up the canyon. The tent was no longer there but the car was there and all the windows were fogged up. Could be the cows poked around the tent too much. Also in the middle of the night there was thunder, lightning, and an associated thunder shower. That might have caused them to flee the tent. Either way I seriously doubt that they got a good nights sleep.
Just think of the stories they'll have!

If they didn't hear the mooing first, I bet they'd think there was a bear outside their tent sniffing around!

We spent the night in central Oregon at Richardson's rock ranch once, on the way in 5 potloads of calves were coming out. We had to camp 100 yards from 450 or so momma cows without babies! :oops: :oops:

Latest posts