Graining and Deworming

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Couple of questions:
1) I'm going to start graining to get ready to slaughter one. I'm doing it for 38 days. Is this enough to get any flavor in there? I have heard people grain for 30, 45 and 90 days, so I'm just looking for opinions on what you've seen work. Also, my neighbor ,who's done this for a few years, said to use rolled corn otherwise it doesn't work well. Thoughts?

2) I had my bull dewormed about 3 months ago. The other day he was pooping what it looked like before he was wormed. It was a darker green and a little runny. Not solid, but not entirely liquid either, somewhere more on the solid side, but still not like the other cattle. I have a pour on wormer, would it do anything bad if I hit him with it?

Thanks

I'll not sure, but I suspect 35 days of feed isn't going to add much in the way of marbling. I've fed one for only 30 days once myself, but I have no way of knowing if it helped or not.

Pour on won't hurt, but probably won't help much either. I'd take a fecal sample to the local vet and have them check it out. Only costs a few bucks, and then you'll know for sure if you have something that needs dealt with.

When we feed a steer to finish out, we feed for 100 days. Were always told it took 90 days for one to marble. 30 days is better than straight off the pasture.
Is the bull in good flesh? I have never been able to look at their poop with the naked eye and tell if one was wormy. I do a fecal count if there is a question.

As to feeding------------38 days is better than no days. I'm not too sure how much "flavor" will be added, as it takes a bit of time to get them up to a full ration, using gradual increases. Rolled corn is fine. I use a blend from a local mill, they mill themselves of ground corn, soybeans and oats. In addtition they have full access to good hay while being turned out in a small grassy paddock. The bulk of their feed/forage being the hay and grains. I usually do this for at least 90 days.

As for your bull, pour-on right now wouldn't hurt anything, most likely could prevent lice. If you're concerned about internal parasites, I would do as suggested and take a sample to a local vet and go from there.

I think what you get from the 38days on feed depends a lot on what sort of condition he is in to start with. Having just come through your summer I would expect him to be in pretty reasonable condition to start with.
Ken

Be sure your giving some protein with the corn. Finish ours on ground corn w/ 2# 32% pellets a day for 100-120 days. Good mineral free choice. Decent hay.

Edit to add: the pour on wormer is questionable for efficacy. I think it was Lucky P that pointed out studies show only about 1\3 actually makes it...mostly through ingestion via licking etc... just food for thought.

Latest posts