Dewalt 18V Grease Gun ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have had one for a couple years and are now having problems when putting in a new cartridge. It will not pump. Took it apart a couple times. Wondered if the spring is getting weak? Any tips?

I realize my suggestion is going to be like the "is it plugged in/reboot" answer so I apologize for the that, but -- not sure if the Dewalt has one, but my Milwaukee has a pressure release valve that when reloading you sometimes need to release in order for a new cartridge to start.

Try leaving the cartridge loose by 2 or 3 threads. That has worked for me in the past, lets the air bleed off through the threads.

I've had a lot of trouble getting some to prime. The Lincoln air gun that I have now has never given a problem though.

I can't imagine that big spring getting weak, but it's possible. I imagine parts are available for that DeWalt, I know Milwaukee has pretty good parts availability.

Some do have the little barrel sticking out with a check ball in it, for bleeding, you have to push the ball in with a punch or nail to let grease and air past.

have a Dewalt 20V, battery lasts forever. Very happy with it.

20v is a far better gun.it is a worm screw drive and will pump at higher pressure also purchase a lock n lube grease coupler for any grease gun other then a hand pump

The cells are prob same......the item is prob diff design between makers.

I always wondered why have one ? Regular grease gun not hard to use, unlike some chaulking jobs......

So what is the big advantage of batt powered units ?

Quick for one. Like comparing a zero turn to and old school mower. It only takes a couple seconds. Plus I always had a hard time holding the one end on and pumping with the other. It was a little awkward at times, especially in tight spots or with stuck zerts that dont want to take grease. With the battery powered you just have to pull the trigger with it sitting. If you have equipment that has sat up and the zerts are stuck and you cant get grease in them, a lot of times the battery powered one will break it loose when the hand ones wont.

Stocker Steve said:
ChrisB said:
have a Dewalt 20V, battery lasts forever. Very happy with it.

Any advantage with 20V over 18V or is it a marketing thing?

I've had pretty poor luck with the 18 volt DeWalt batteries, but the 20 volt ones seem to be holding up well. My 18's are NiCad, whereas the new 20V batteries are Lithium Ion. The latter hold a charge better and maintain power pretty much til they are fully discharged, where the 18V loses power as you're using it.

I bought an adapter to use the new 20V batteries on my old 18V tools, not exactly the most ergonomic design but it does the job.

Just last month I started replacing my DeWalt tools with the newer Milwaukee Fuel series, so far they seem impressive - but time will tell.

Brute 23 said:
Quick for one. Like comparing a zero turn to and old school mower. It only takes a couple seconds. Plus I always had a hard time holding the one end on and pumping with the other. It was a little awkward at times, especially in tight spots or with stuck zerts that dont want to take grease. With the battery powered you just have to pull the trigger with it sitting. If you have equipment that has sat up and the zerts are stuck and you cant get grease in them, a lot of times the battery powered one will break it loose when the hand ones wont.

This coupler sure comes in handy!

Milwaulkee is the only way to fly. You will be happy you switched. Go with the Fuel in tools it is available in. Use them one time and you won't look at Dewalt again although they are better now then they were. Best money I spent was switching my tools out.

Battery life and power is no comparison. I have changed 16 tires ( long story) on one battery with a Fuel 1/2" impact. It will ring off a 1/2" bolt, you have to be careful using it not to go to far.

Latest posts