Grease Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
I've been looking at restocking my grease supply. Locally, I can Get Red N Tacky for 6.99, Shell Rotella HD for 6.49, and Valvolene MP for somewhat higher in addition to TSC generic.
Online, I can order R and T for for 6.57, Wolf's Head for 5.23 and Triax Spheron for 5.99.
All seem to be rated NLGI 2 and GC/LB so all the bases are covered for roller bearings and wheel bearings.
I intend to get a moly grease for use in my CV joints, pivot pins, king pins and , maybe start using it in u joints for the needle bearings in them.
I'm not Aa BTO by any means but I don't mind spending a little extra to avoid wear and breakdowns.
Any experience, both pro and con, would be welcome

The best grease is what you use plenty of. I use cases of the TSC Traveller 3% moly grease every year and had good luck with it. Was hard to find for awhile but is back in stock most of the time now. I use probably 20 tubes a month in the summer. Worst part is that black s#$@ gets everywhere. All time best grease I have ever used was TRC Paragon. That stuff would keep equipment pins and bushings like new for years!

Oh, and keep a few tubes of cornhead grease around for gearboxes etc.

The best grease is what you use plenty of. I use cases of the TSC Traveller 3% moly grease every year and had good luck with it. Was hard to find for awhile but is back in stock most of the time now. I use probably 20 tubes a month in the summer. Worst part is that black s#$@ gets everywhere. All time best grease I have ever used was TRC Paragon. That stuff would keep equipment pins and bushings like new for years!

Oh, and keep a few tubes of cornhead grease around for gearboxes etc.
Cornhead grease is a man's best friend in gear boxes.

TSC use to have a good sale on their grease, and I would stock up. Nobody seems to have a sale anymore. I probably will still get TSC grease as I have never had a grease joint go bad that I maintained with it. One of the best purchases I have made was a Milwaukee M18 2-Spd Grease Gun as it does not take long to grease equipment. If needed it will go full auto.

Good thread!
I've been using FS red grease for years. It works great.
I'm just about out of my inventory and I don't do business with FS anymore so I was beginning to wonder what direction I was going to go. TSC seems to be the consensus. We use it at work and it seems to do good.

Yep, all thru both my day job work and personal life the biggest lubrication problem I've seen is too much in the grease gun and not enough in the grease fittings and gear boxes.

A true story:
Decades ago, before tubes of grease were common (may not even have been available at the time) we filled the grease guns in my father's auto shop from a 5 gallon bucket of grease. You just took the top off the grease gun, stuck the barrel down into the bucket and pulled the plunger handle back to suck the grease up into the gun. Locked the handle back and screwed the end back on. Most of the time tho, it didn't do a great job and after locking the handle back, you had to reach down and grab a handful of grease out of the bucket and pack it down into the barrel of the gun 'manually' , especially the last few inches..
I guess I was about 13 years old (1963) and my father was under a car doing a lube job, ran out of grease and handed me the gun to fill and I had it with the open end of the gun facing up as I pushed grease down in it , when I bumped the end of the handle on my knee and the spring shot the plunger up and all the grease in the almost full gun hit me square in the face. My father happened to see it happen and it was one of the few times I actually heard him roar in laughter, but he did come rolling out on his creeper, with some rags and wiped most of it off out of my face, hair and ears before taking me out to a water hose and some hand cleaner to wash up. That's been 60 years ago and I remember like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
I use the red HD lithium grease from TSC in just about everything.

I bought one of the 18V grease guns like Mr Trent mentioned above, that thing is the bee's knees.

Latest posts