Grease

Help Support CattleToday:

According to the Mrs. 1978 soundtrack.

I changed out one of my trailers to the Vault system. Good stuff IMO.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/ufp/product-documentation/hub-hub-drum-hub-rotor/flyers/the-vault-hyd-lub-system-(lit-704-00ufp).pdf?sfvrsn=a17f1a48_2

http://www.marinemastertrailers.com/pdfs/trailer_buddy_vault.pdf

I'm still chuckling about the "According to the Mrs. 1978 soundtrack" haha.

I was told by a mechanic to avoid using "moly" (molybdenum). Why? I have no idea, but he was very adament.

I just usually get the local farm store brand of hi-temp or heavy duty grease. Its usually a bright color which helps me remember which zerks I've done.

I just use all purpose. Go through probably 8 cases a year.

There are greases for every application, but I don't know that it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Bearing grease doesn't fling off and melt, use for packing wheel bearings. Not sure if your colours are the same as ours but avoid red grease and go with blue or green, it is general purpose and hi temperature, i use it on everything and works well. The red can melt off and liquify i my experience.

Redgully said:
Bearing grease doesn't fling off and melt, use for packing wheel bearings. Not sure if your colours are the same as ours but avoid red grease and go with blue or green, it is general purpose and hi temperature, i use it on everything and works well. The red can melt off and liquify i my experience.

Not all reds.I use a Castrol Hi Temp MP grease rated for disc brakes and it is red.Other brands may differ.

As far as moly grease,I think it's not supposed to be good for bearings but I do like the extra protection in high load applications like pivot pins.I use it on my gooseneck 2-5/8".

JW IN VA said:
Redgully said:

Not all reds.I use a Castrol Hi Temp MP grease rated for disc brakes and it is red.Other brands may differ.

As far as moly grease,I think it's not supposed to be good for bearings but I do like the extra protection in high load applications like pivot pins.I use it on my gooseneck 2-5/8".

Moly grease is good for extreme pressure and low speed bearings. They say it's too slick and doesn't have enough friction to keep high speed bearings rolling. CV joints need moly and the hammer case of my impact wrenches use it as well.

Moly grease is good for extreme pressure and low speed bearings. They say it's too slick and doesn't have enough friction to keep high speed bearings rolling. CV joints need moly and the hammer case of my impact wrenches use it as well.
[/quote]

That is what I have found as well. My Kubota manual calls for moly grease. But that's the only thing I use it on. Everything else gets high temp all purpose