Delayed colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 2-week old calf that didn't receive colostrum until it was about 8-10 hrs old. We got it to nurse at that time. I also gave it 2 doses of Kick-start. It has always moved slow, but now there seems to be swelling in the right knee joint. I have also given it 2 swhots of La200. It is a bull calf, it gets up to nurse and then lays back down. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Harry

[email protected]

> I have a 2-week old calf that
> didn't receive colostrum until it
> was about 8-10 hrs old. We got it
> to nurse at that time. I also gave
> it 2 doses of Kick-start. It has
> always moved slow, but now there
> seems to be swelling in the right
> knee joint. I have also given it 2
> swhots of La200. It is a bull
> calf, it gets up to nurse and then
> lays back down. Any help will be
> appreciated. I would also like to add that he had a 104 degree temperture. He does not have diarrhea and looks healthy.

> Thanks in advance, Harry

[email protected]

Harry , I have a bull calf that is now a year old and this sounds like him when he was born. He always seemed like a big dummy and continued to get swollen spots all over his body, not always on a joint. What two Vet's concluded is that his Immune system is fighting it self. Most of the effected areas I drained or they drained themselves. The vet said he would beat it or not. We treated him to boast his immune system and it seems to have worked. He is not a real good doer, but I am am able to sell him 200 lbs lighter then the other bulls. Good luck

[email protected]

While 8-10 hours is not optimum, he should have been able to get a pretty good benefit from it even at that late a dtime. Joints I don't know about. Seems like V the V said that some stuff doesn't work as well in joints but I can't recall what ir is (senior moment).

dun

> I have a 2-week old calf that
> didn't receive colostrum until it
> was about 8-10 hrs old. We got it
> to nurse at that time. I also gave
> it 2 doses of Kick-start. It has
> always moved slow, but now there
> seems to be swelling in the right
> knee joint. I have also given it 2
> swhots of La200. It is a bull
> calf, it gets up to nurse and then
> lays back down. Any help will be